Clint Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think CJ has actually shown improvement at AFL level, which is another thing Raph hasn't done

if we have to play one of them (due to injuries) i'd take CJ every time

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Let's forget the Raph-CJ debate.

Both aren't up to it.

Besides, Raph has a few years on CJ - by the time Raph catches up in age to CJ, he'll be twice the player CJ is.

But 2 x 0 still equals 0.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Broodruff
Club Player

I would love to see CJ playing, every time I've seen him playing he's been running himself into the ground, and throwing his body into contests and, as a lot of people have said here, adding a bit of grunt and toughness to the team as a whole.

A lot of you have mentioned how turnovers are more costly then ever in the modern game.

As someone said, put CJ in the forward 50 and tell him to not step outside the arc for the whole game. Most of you acknowledge his hardness, chasing and tackling. He'll add a lot of pressure in the forward 50.

Turnovers are more costly than ever in the modern game. Especially if they are in your defensive 50. CJ lays a few tackles, gets a few frees because his tackles stick, or even have the ball spill loose to Milne who has been playing well lately.

Thats something I'd really like to see

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:IMO CJ should play in the centre where he can win the ball and fire out a quick handball or a short kick. His chasing and tackling skills are what gets Ross to play him up forward, but IMO you can't play a guy up forward who's kicking is questionable. You can get away with it in the centre.
If we must see Jones, then this is what I'd like to see happen with him too. Use him as a stoppage guy, and perhaps as a tagger. His disposal kills him on the outside, so put him on the inside, because it's not like it can get much worse.

While I'm in the same camp as many here that have written CJ off, by the same token, I basically did that last year... he's been elevated since then, and had consecutive BOGs in the 2s, so if ever there was a textbook time to reward a player, this is it. Not sure who I'd scratch to make way (Birss is earning his spot right now), but I'm sure the usual suspects will get their names thrown up, but I'd honestly be leaning more towards giving Schneider a sit, hasn't shown anything since preseason.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Mooksy
Club Player

Clint Jones should have played every bloody game in the ones this year. He provides enough spark, gets the ball and is a tough nut. I will never work out the lack of faith in him this year.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i think CJ has actually shown improvement at AFL level, which is another thing Raph hasn't done

if we have to play one of them (due to injuries) i'd take CJ every time
lol.....agree on your avatar dudie!!!

Had me convinced of the opposite during the NAB cup.

Clearly makes skill and decision errors time and time again during the real stuff.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

If CJ could just dispose of the ball that little bit better he'd play everyweek sadly though he is the turnover king.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
jill
Club Player

AT LEAST CJ HAS THE GUTS TO GO IN & GET THE BALL - & TURN-OVER KING!!-WHAT HAS GRAM, L FISHER DONE IN 2008!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote:AT LEAST CJ HAS THE GUTS TO GO IN & GET THE BALL - & TURN-OVER KING!!-WHAT HAS GRAM, L FISHER DONE IN 2008!!
WHAT!!!!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:If CJ could just dispose of the ball that little bit better he'd play everyweek sadly though he is the turnover king.
I think once he becomes more comfortable with the pace of AFL football, he will be able to settle and his poor kicking will become less poor.

I also thing he is made to look worse than he actually is. CJ works extremely hard at times to get the ball, and when he has it, he is often under enormous pressure from the opposition himself, as well as having just expended quite a bit of energy to get the pill.

Half the players in the side wouldn't even get the ball in the first place.