Fiora

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

AFL Games

Fiora - 134
Raph - 35
Gwilt - 13
Gardiner - 56
Dempster - 59

degruch
Saintsational Legend

OK...suspense...who are the other two?

bergsone
SS Life Member

With his ability,just so frustrating he doesnt take games apart .what i saw of scorps game could not see a spot for him in front of 3-4 others who played well

midas_touch
Club Player

Fiora is really just a GOP, who should still be retained for depth purposes. Does have flashes of brilliance, but will never set the AFL world on fire.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
congorozides
Club Player

danners wrote:i think we have to keep him.

maybe thats cuz i love him but i do think wen he plays well then he can turn a game
u must be weird cat :-)

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I don't watch the Scorps, and can't say I especially care whether or not I ever see Fiora again.

Does amaze me the reviews he gets on here though. I've never had a problem with his hardness. He's not a tough not, he's not an in and under guy, but he's not a squib and he takes his knocks.

My touble with Fiora is that he just doesn't use the ball well enough to be that outside guy. He runs well, he marks well, but to be a damaging wingman, you need to be a damaging kick. His tackling doesn't make him appealing at the flanks in the forward or backline either.

So that's his dilemma, either learn to do something very few people at his stage of career do (become a better kick) or re-invent himself as the hard nut he's never been. Neither one's likely.

Haven't though of him as soft since his early Richmond days looking for cheap touches off the HBF though.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
congorozides
Club Player

midas_touch wrote:Fiora is really just a GOP, who should still be retained for depth purposes. Does have flashes of brilliance, but will never set the AFL world on fire.
what is a GOP?

if he makes 150, fizzer will go down in history as one of the lesser players to make that milestone.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Showed enough last year to suggest he can play, but had a dismal start to the year.

Got a funny feeling about him...

Reckon he's the sort of player who plays well in a good team, but can stuggle in a bad team. (Having said that I do remember one night in 2005 where he bagged 29 touches and we got flogged by Adelaide - but the point is still valid...I think)

Downhill skier? Sure. Has proven himself at this leve? Sporadically. Deserves another chance? Maybe - if we're in finals contention, it would be good to see him up and about.

Can't help but feeling he's not part of the future, which does kind of restrict him.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I don't watch the Scorps, and can't say I especially care whether or not I ever see Fiora again.

Does amaze me the reviews he gets on here though. I've never had a problem with his hardness. He's not a tough not, he's not an in and under guy, but he's not a squib and he takes his knocks.

My touble with Fiora is that he just doesn't use the ball well enough to be that outside guy. He runs well, he marks well, but to be a damaging wingman, you need to be a damaging kick. His tackling doesn't make him appealing at the flanks in the forward or backline either.

So that's his dilemma, either learn to do something very few people at his stage of career do (become a better kick) or re-invent himself as the hard nut he's never been. Neither one's likely.

Haven't though of him as soft since his early Richmond days looking for cheap touches off the HBF though.
He is not hard...but is ok...no softer than quitea few others we have.

My problem is just that he goes missing....and freezes when having shots on goals.

When he is on he plays good football....he just goes missing too often though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if he had of slotted all those goals last year...some of them were crucial too (we'd have made the finals if he'd goaled in Rnd 21).

We'd be hailing him as a hero :(

Still, while I don't think he squibs the hard ball, his kicking for goal is just such a let down.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

if he had of kicked straight in the last three years we would not be having this argument......

He has had far more shots per game than any of our midfielders by a margin (joey second)

his accuracy <35% has killed his effectiveness.....he is a confidence player.........and this would not have helped....

He dropped one soda on the weekend.....don't make it sound like he dropped several marks.....he dropped it because he spent it before he took it....a common mistake, but one an AFL player of his skill should not make (he does lose concentration a bit.......

But remember he has had 4 nominations for mark of the round in two years more than any other saint......and only Robbo and Burton would have more in the AFL....two were abosolutely COURAGEOUS!!!!!

hotdish
Club Player

If Fiora is out of contract at the end of the year, he will be surely delisted.

Play Armitage over him any day...
FFS play Rapha over him

The only reason he will be playing next year is that he's on a multi year deal...

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:OK...suspense...who are the other two?
if you're referring to my last post and you give a toss, actually doesn't matter if you give a toss, the other two in my first three to say bye-bye are Ferguson and Rix.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Showed enough last year to suggest he can play, but had a dismal start to the year.

Got a funny feeling about him...

Reckon he's the sort of player who plays well in a good team, but can stuggle in a bad team. (Having said that I do remember one night in 2005 where he bagged 29 touches and we got flogged by Adelaide - but the point is still valid...I think)

Downhill skier? Sure. Has proven himself at this leve? Sporadically. Deserves another chance? Maybe - if we're in finals contention, it would be good to see him up and about.

Can't help but feeling he's not part of the future, which does kind of restrict him.
Agree with what you've said Everton and with your conclusion. Just can't see him as part of a winning combination in the future, so time to say good-bye.

tezza1
Club Player

Agree totally with the poster who said Fiora skirts around packs picking his contests.......Sometimes he goes and sometimes he pretends to go.......

But there is rarely a game goes by when you need him to go hard at the ball and the man and take a hit , and the steps become smaller or he gets brushed off too easily.

Will often take a hanger when he can come from behind one on one but will never take a mark by standing his ground in front with a pack bearing down because he wont put himself in that position.

He continually lets you down with his attack on the football and has had long enough to show us some improvement in this area.... Enough Chances!

Go Sainters !!!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He would not have played 134 games of AFL footy if he was the skirt....seriously.....most people on here would not have the courage to run across the white line, at any level.... :lol: how would you go in the vicinity of Barry Hall, Jono Brown, Mark Riccutio, Cam Mooney, David Neitz.....Fiora has been there