Why oh why was Armo dropped

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:I posted this in another thread, but this is why.

"Was explained to us at the SEQ function that Armitage was dropped because physically and mentally he is not quite up to playing long spells in the seniors. By that I mean the amount of games not game time. They said it can crush the young kids mentally. Expecially a tough team like the lions. Where as CJ and Geary havn't played for a few weeks. Also explained that Allen hasn't been chosen because he hasn't played well enough for the Casey's, but is very close. Ferguson was at the function, fantastic young man, won alot of fans, spoke very well. Also very close to getting a game."

Fiora was pick because of his pace.
Look I agree, however, they have to choose a team from the best available. Regardless of what we think of Fiora, he has gone well in the Caseys, better than others who we probably would like to see picked. Brisbane are a very tough side. If he is doing everything asked of him, why wouldn't they choose him. Same goes for anyone.

thanks for that Bev. That at least explains why Armitage was dropped and Fiona was selected. Agree with developing younger guys at a suitable pace, but selecting Fiora in his place was just complete BS.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote:

"Was explained to us at the SEQ function that Armitage was dropped because physically and mentally he is not quite up to playing long spells in the seniors. By that I mean the amount of games not game time. They said it can crush the young kids mentally. Expecially a tough team like the lions. Where as CJ and Geary havn't played for a few weeks. Also explained that Allen hasn't been chosen because he hasn't played well enough for the Casey's, but is very close. Ferguson was at the function, fantastic young man, won alot of fans, spoke very well. Also very close to getting a game."

Now ive heard it all,,iwould not call it a long spell in the side in 1 week out the next,50% game time if your lucky ,being dropped for a Fiora etc,mentally not up to it,is it any wonder why
Armo has been in more than 1 week, at least 3.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote: It is one of the greatest load of BS selections I have ever seen. DISGRACEFUL SELECTION. Justification total BS.
Agree,

This is on the surface, absolutely reprehensible

We need to play the kids and none more so than Armitage at this stage and to drop him after he played well in the 50% of game time he had the previous week, for Fiora smacks of a coach who fair dinkum needs to get a clue.

Stop treading water, stop rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic, show some fricken balls, make changes and FAIR DINKUM play the kids.

I seriously still cannot believe this, thought Armitage must have tweaked something at training then find out he was 2nd BOG for Casey :roll:

In comes Fiora :roll:

Still no Ferguson :roll:

Fair Dinkum this is a disgrace

At least we have the experienced John Barker as a forward coach to hang our hats on :roll:

If Lyon doesn't select Armitage and Ferguson as Ins and drop Fiora for starters, then he should fair dinkum drop himself

The only way out of this mess is to play the kids and do it now, for fornication's sake

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
eppo67 wrote: It is one of the greatest load of BS selections I have ever seen. DISGRACEFUL SELECTION. Justification total BS.
Agree,

This is on the surface, absolutely reprehensible

We need to play the kids and none more so than Armitage at this stage and to drop him after he played well in the 50% of game time he had the previous week, for Fiora smacks of a coach who fair dinkum needs to get a clue.

Stop treading water, stop rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic, show some fricken balls, make changes and FAIR DINKUM play the kids.

I seriously still cannot believe this, thought Armitage must have tweaked something at training then find out he was 2nd BOG for Casey :roll:

In comes Fiora :roll:

Still no Ferguson :roll:

Fair Dinkum this is a disgrace

At least we have the experienced John Barker as a forward coach to hang our hats on :roll:

If Lyon doesn't select Armitage and Ferguson as Ins and drop Fiora for starters, then he should fair dinkum drop himself

The only way out of this mess is to play the kids and do it now, for fornication's sake
Maybe we should have kept GT.

bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO
Saint Bev wrote:
bergsone wrote:

Now ive heard it all,,iwould not call it a long spell in the side in 1 week out the next,50% game time if your lucky ,being dropped for a Fiora etc,mentally not up to it,is it any wonder why
Armo has been in more than 1 week, at least 3.
i think you understand the point im trying to make ,that excuse is just a cop out .Maybe Sellwood,Rioli etc should be dropped for playing too many games,ibet they dont get dropped when they play lions IMO

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

There's no getting around it

team selections have been atrocious all year, the same duds get recycled, while others more worthy get no opportunity whatsoever.

Ferguson the classic example of a player with more upside than L.Fisher, Fiora, Blake, Birss, C.Gardiner, Dempster, Jones yet given zero opportunities, even when he is playing well at Casey and kicked 7 goals a couple of weeks ago.

Ferguson was drafted as a forward, that's where he played all of his junior football, yet in over 5 years not once has he ever been given an opportunity on the forwardline, this aside from being neglectful is simply just bizarre.

Quite frankly I have no faith in Lyon anymore, after 30 games as coach he's dropping Armitage and selecting Fiora, that says it all, the guy hasn't found the plot yet and until he starts selecting Ferguson, McEvoy and Armitage etc... we will be cactus

Armitage should play all year, we need to fast track him

It should take any coach with a clue 30 minutes to figure out the best option, pre-season 2006/2007, not to still in round 8, 2008 being dropping Armitage after a good game even if he only had 50% of game time :roll: for Fiora, unbelievable

Dropping Armitage for Fiora, I'm totally flabbergasted, this is just dumb

So gumpy it's mind boggling in the extreme

Wake up and get a clue, FAIR DINKUM :evil:

AND before Lyon even starts to mouth off about our players being soft and no doubt some of them are and none more so than Jason Gram, what about looking in your own backyard at your SOFT team selection,

No balls whatsoever to make hard decisions at team selection, just recycle the same old nancy boys,

drop Armitage for Fiora and you have the hide to call players soft :roll:

and how Gram continues to get a game, let alone a 3 year contract has got me stuffed

FAIR DINKUM, what does Ferguson have to do?

Game plan is fine, we don't have the cattle, how fricken obvious is that, next move start to introduce new fresh talent even if they are raw, afterall at best currently we are only a mid table combination, which is where we have finished two years in a row, the new richmond, the victorian freo,

The ONLY way forward is to bite the bullet and make some HARD calls, the softness starts with piss poor team selection,

Play the kids, re-energize this team

and never play Gram in defence ever again

actually he more than deserves a game for Casey right now,

and Ferguson, what does this kid have to do, FAIR DINKUM, it's not like he's trying to break into Geelong's line up

It's disgraceful, and what gives with John Barker as a forward coach, what experience did he have as a forward coach before his jobs for the boys appointment?

Ross, if you need a clue and it apprears that you do, I am available, for team selection meetings, feel free to give me a call!

Dropping Armitage for Fiora, still in shock to be honest,

Would love some explanation as to what thought processes were in place at the time, anything, please!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Look you have been told what the thinking was behind Armitage being dropped barks, so you don't agree. They are not going to play a team of young kids, we would get even more smashed. Get real. Seriously is there anyone you like or approve of :roll:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Look you have been told what the thinking was behind Armitage being dropped barks, so you don't agree. They are not going to play a team of young kids, we would get even more smashed. Get real. Seriously is there anyone you like or approve of :roll:
This is a forum for opinion's is it not?

The explanation you wrote for the reasoning behind Armitage's non selection is IMHO, dumb

Everything about Armitage being dropped for just about anyone, let alone a Fiora is just mind numbingly DUMB.

The fact that Fiora was selected before Ferguson is outrageous and once again DUMB.

The softness starts with Lyon and his piss poor, dumb arse team selection, there's no getting around that and it is hypocritical in the extreme, to then label the players as soft, even though a fair percentage of them are, when in fact it was crystal clear that thay were soft as, last year, yet here we are one year later and still, the same old, same old dumb arse team selections continue.

PLAY THE KIDS

Just lucky we have John Barker as a forward coach, where would we be without him :roll:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Rix used to Rox the Rux, now it's just university, so the lovechild has quickly moved onto Ferguson.......rewind to 2006 and Rix Affair with GT, handouts at G, sound familiar anyone?

Substitute "GT" with "Lyon" and it's the same track all over again :shock:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
eppo67
Club Player

What he is saying in a nutshell is that we thank you Bev for letting us know what the justification for dropping Armo is but we all pretty much agree that that justification is total BS.

What a load of BS drop Armo and put up Pea Heart Fiona who by the way has done zip for Casey. That will do more damage to a young kid than not playing him, that is giving someone a game in front of him who has done nothing to deserve it.

TOTAL BS. Dont treat us like mushrooms St.Kilda FC

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I disagree, with the little I read , with most of b4e's rants, but he has a point here.

Dropping armitage for fiora of all people is certifiable. What on earth could he be thinking. The so called excuse in this thread is totally laughable and weak. No excuse , RL caught with his pants down on this one.

Dal'sGal26
Club Player

It's obviously an off field issue.
I'm thinking he actually stood up to RL and told him that he's game plan is not working.

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
Richter
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote: Dropping armitage for fiora of all people is certifiable. What on earth could he be thinking. The so called excuse in this thread is totally laughable and weak. No excuse , RL caught with his pants down on this one.
Couldn't agree more. For mine RL is treading on very thin ice. Agree with Bark's call of hypocrisy by the Head Coach.

He has put himself on notice that he needs to turn it around by the end of the season and fair dinkum he's right.

If we don't make finals - and at the moment we look a slim chance - then at season's end we may need to be looking elsewhere for a head coach.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Viking3
Club Player

"They said it can crush the young kids mentally"
I can tell you as fact that he was "crushed" by not being given the opportunity to go home and play in front of family and friends. If that is their reasoning they aren't relaying it to him.
Another supporter perplexed!

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
villasaint
Club Player

i knew we would loose when i sore this ins and outs for last week. Armitage out has to be disciplinary. I have looked a the best in the two over the past month and ferguson and McEvoy have featured regularly, Looks like they though they needed runners. Fiora gave nothing im sorry he is not up to it.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:"They said it can crush the young kids mentally"
I can tell you as fact that he was "crushed" by not being given the opportunity to go home and play in front of family and friends. If that is their reasoning they aren't relaying it to him.
In what might be Harvey's last year, as many kids as possible should be given the opportunity to play footy with him and particularly when it's L.Fisher, Gram, Blake, C. Gardiner, Dempster, Fiora, Birss etc...etc... keeping them out,

FAIR DINKUM how Fiora could get a game after doing SFA for Casey the week earlier, replacing Armitage who played much better in the seniors in the 50% of game time he did get, is mind boggling,

and to select Fiora AGAIN when Ferguson is in much better form for Casey and has never once been given a game by Lyon is extroadinary,

and as stated previously, Ferguson played all his junior footy in the forwardline, but has not yet in more than 5 years, ever been played there,

it's not like the John Barker forward structure is going gangbusters or anything, FAIR DINKUM

this is bizarre

it's not like we are motoring like Geelong, how on earth, can you keep selecting/recycling the same old duds, without giving anyone else a go is astounding, particularly when in Ferguson's case he's in better form than the players, being selected in front of him.

Armitage played well against collingwood and get's dropped, Fiora played like a dog for Casey and gets a recall,

GO FIGURE :roll:

Collingwood play the kids and look at their improvement,

We just reward duds, who are taking us nowhere, but midtable for the third year running,

When is the penny going to drop, how long before the coach figures it out :roll:

PLAY THE KIDS, For fornication's Sake, and do it now,

FAIR DINKUM

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Viking3 wrote:"They said it can crush the young kids mentally"
And they wonder why we have soft players :roll:

FAIR DINKUM namby pamby, weak as piss, mollycoddled, codswallop

Did Geelong decide that Selwood should be rested to protect his fragile mind?

Throw them in at the deep end and let them swim, otherwise we are just treading water midtable and eventually sinking to the bottom again.

If he'd deserved to be dropped then you'd understand it, but to make way for Fiora who did nothing for Casey the week before, after Armitage himself played well in only the 50% of game time he did get, is disgraceful.

Is this how we protect the kid mentally? :roll:

FAIR DINKUM

Sobraz
SS Life Member

The problem IMO going forward from here, is that this week, when Armo gets the obvious recall, expectations will be super high of him, as he as been a sticking point all week...

His output was good prior to the stupid selection decision, but we cannot expect him to set the world on fire coming back in...

His axing has added more pressure upon his return, as he will be watched more closely now, unfairly so...

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:The problem IMO going forward from here, is that this week, when Armo gets the obvious recall, expectations will be super high of him, as he as been a sticking point all week...

His output was good prior to the stupid selection decision, but we cannot expect him to set the world on fire coming back in...

His axing has added more pressure upon his return, as he will be watched more closely now, unfairly so...
fair point, maybe that's a good thing

BUT

in Armitage's case, I would play the kid all year, providing his committment was 100%

just let him know that he has a place in the team, build his confidence and very importantly, allow him as much game time with Robert Harvey as possible, could potentially be a wonderful blessing on the young man,

BUT to FAIR DINKUM drop him for Fiora, you've gotta be fair dinkum kidding, surely

I know Ross is a busy man, but someone's gotta grasp the point, surely!