Wanted - Top 10 tips on how to survive being a St Kilda fan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

marksnsparks
Club Player

Wanted - Top 10 tips on how to survive being a St Kilda fan

Having come form the UK originally, I've only been a fan of the saints for 5 years, but I'm hurting bad. I can only imagine how you all are feeling having supported St Kilda from childhood! I can only think you have developed some pretty advanced coping mechanisms to stop yourselves going insane.

I've started the list:

1. Assume the spoon...anything more is a bonus.
2. Ignore the f***wit pundits who give you false hope at the beginning of the season.
3. There's always next season.
4. At least you can get those DIY jobs around the house done in September.

My 5 month old son is a Little Angel. I'm already apologising to him every night before bed....

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Don't take ridiculous bets with Hawk fans based on final ladder positions.

Heck, I'm even worried about the same ridiculous bet with a Tiger fan.

And the one I made with a Blue, well that's looking very ordinary too.

:cry: :oops: :cry:

bergsone
SS Life Member

Re: Wanted - Top 10 tips on how to survive being a St Kilda

marksnsparks wrote:Having come form the UK originally, I've only been a fan of the saints for 5 years, but I'm hurting bad. I can only imagine how you all are feeling having supported St Kilda from childhood! I can only think you have developed some pretty advanced coping mechanisms to stop yourselves going insane.

I've started the list:

2. Ignore the f***wit pundits who give you false hope at the beginning of the season.

My 5 month old son is a Little Angel. I'm already apologising to him every night before bed....
Drink a lot

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

* live interstate, that way you don't get hammered by every d**khead at school/office on a monday morning

Buckets
SS Life Member

medicate yourself before every match just so you dont get excited at the prospect of being ahead at 1/4 or 1/2 time due to the knowledge that you will lose anyway :lol:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Barracking for St. Kilda, for me, has always been one of those "good versus evil" stories... So here are my tips:

1. Once you've established who are the good guys (us), then you can't switch sides to join the bad guys.

2. One of the great things about Aussie Rules is that there are so many people playing, and the ball travels so far... that there is always SOMETHING good you can spot in a match. It might be a mark, a goal, or even a tackle... but that one thing from your team can become part of a bunch of positive memories over time.

3. Just enjoy the privilege of watching Robert Harvey play. In years to come, people will ask you about him.

4. Remember that it's not about our team's position on the ladder (unless we are coming first!)... it's about a club we all love.

5. Both players and coaches come and go, and they can be treasured while they are here (or not), but what we have - as a club and as fans - is a lot more than that... the shared joys, heartbreaks, memories, and sense of history that binds us all together.

6. Remember... If you're a Saints fan, you're an optimist!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Nothing works..... it's like having a partner you love dearly who keeps cheating on you, but always manages to convince you she's changed, and somehow talks you into giving her one more chance.

The last two losses feel like she's given up all pretence of discretion... and a loss to Melbourne will feel like she's decided to go on the game. :(

:wink:

jk23
Club Player

Strength through loyalty !!!!!!!

wolfpup
Club Player

Re: Wanted - Top 10 tips on how to survive being a St Kilda

marksnsparks wrote:Having come form the UK originally, I've only been a fan of the saints for 5 years, but I'm hurting bad. I can only imagine how you all are feeling having supported St Kilda from childhood! I can only think you have developed some pretty advanced coping mechanisms to stop yourselves going insane.

I've started the list:

Support the team, simple as that. Wear the red white and black with pride.

My daughter is 18 months and a little angel supporter as well and she can sing the club song, and dont apologise, being a St.kilda supporter is an honour!

St.kilda is my team forever and I will be cheering them on this sunday.

Chin up and lets get our confidence back, that includes the supporters and the club. We are not a team of hacks and will bounce back. We are simply low on confidence.

Go saints!!!

:D

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:* live interstate, that way you don't get hammered by every d**khead at school/office on a monday morning
Can't say living interstate works, one game a year. Play the lions at the Gabba, its sheer hell, every year............. :cry:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:Nothing works..... it's like having a partner you love dearly who keeps cheating on you, but always manages to convince you she's changed, and somehow talks you into giving her one more chance.

The last two losses feel like she's given up all pretence of discretion... and a loss to Melbourne will feel like she's decided to go on the game. :(
Yep.....sadly.

Saintlyone
Club Player

Nothing works..... it's like having a partner you love dearly who keeps cheating on you, but always manages to convince you she's changed, and somehow talks you into giving her one more chance.

The last two losses feel like she's given up all pretence of discretion... and a loss to Melbourne will feel like she's decided to go on the game.
Post of the year !!! :lol:

santazzi
Club Player

1. open a bottle of good Tasmanian pinot at the bounce.......
2. another at 1/4 time...........
3. 2 at half time...................
4. another at 3/4 time...........

Guaranteed you will not know the result............you feel no pain....... the next morning you are too busy managing your hang over to feel any pain about the result the night before.................

Then on Monday..............it is another week another optimism ..............another .................what ever..................hope...........

Saintgaz
Club Player

Enjoy the life lessons you're learning.
Perseverance.
Character building.
My best man at my wedding told my wife that she can count on my faithfulness because of my 20+ years supporting the Saints.

I keep trying to agree with friends who say it's only a game.
But I can't....

One day it's all got to be worth it.
Right????
Hughjarce
Club Player

Develop a real bad temper so f*wits in the office do not dare try and sh*t stir they say 'bad luck' and leave you alone

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
villasaint
Club Player

I agree alcohol does work but it doesnt get met thru work on Monday. I am am always positive but the way we are playing at the moment is terrible worst team effort collaboratively since 2002.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

- Find a player on the list and scapegoat the s.hite out of him.

- Learn the name of the coach so throughout the decades you can say

1) < insert coaches name> was outcoached
2)< insert coaches name> has no Plan B
3) < insert coaches name> has lost the players
4) < insert coaches name> didn't recruit properly
5) SACK < insert coaches name>

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:- Find a player on the list and scapegoat the s.hite out of him.

- Learn the name of the coach so throughout the decades you can say

1) < joffaboy> was outcoached
2)< joffaboy> has no Plan B
3) < joffaboy> has lost the players
4) < joffaboy> didn't recruit properly
5) SACK < joffaboy>
:wink: !!

saintsrokk
Club Player

live in Adelaide, do you know how hard it is when 99.9% of this city goes for Crows or Power!!!!!!!!!1
________
Alaska Dispensary
Last edited by saintsrokk on Sun 20 Feb 2011 8:23am, edited 1 time in total.

GRAMophone
Club Player

Yep - two essential things needed to survive as a Saints supporter

Loyalty Optimism

I take a bit of time after each catastrophic loss such as yesterday to get my equilibrium back.

Stopped watching after the 3rd quarter and swore i wouldn't listen to the other results, watch the news, read Monday's paper or go on Saintsational this week but here i am hoping that next week will bring something for us to cheer about.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
gooner
Club Player

markp wrote:Nothing works..... it's like having a partner you love dearly who keeps cheating on you
..... and a loss to Melbourne will feel like she's decided to go on the game. :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

with Garry Lyon as the punter.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
marksnsparks
Club Player

markp wrote:Nothing works..... it's like having a partner you love dearly who keeps cheating on you, but always manages to convince you she's changed, and somehow talks you into giving her one more chance.

I feel like I know you all so much better now...especially you Markp...I think you need to write a country song to get it out of your system....hope you're dog hasn't left you too...

I'm in it for the long haul with you all. Like you say it's character building, and when it does eventually happen, imagine the hangover the next morning!

Great reponses everyone..I feel so much better.

RoseInOz
Club Player

Bev, I agree with you. I am starting to think I am a jinx. Maybe I won't travel from Maryborough for the next game. The last 4 I have been to at the Gabba we have been flogged. AND this week I have to put up with all the comments from the Lions supporters and the Collingwoods fans.

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Halo Halo
Club Player

As a St Kilda Supporter you dont have to wait til after September to travel O/S..

Well I should have known that but I thought this could be the year!!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Remember nothing at work will stress you more than following St.Kilda.