I'd like to the thank Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beekay
SS Life Member

I hardly care any more.

In fact, I haven't watched a game for about a month and lately I don't even know who we are playing on the weekend until the weekend.

Two years ago I would know off by heart who we were playing each round.

I have lost a lot of interest.

congorozides
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Was furious at half time and then this weird, bizarre calm washed over me.

It was all so clear; so obvious. I would never say I stopped caring, I would never say it didn't hurt, but sheesh, when you see the players not really doing what they are paid the big bucks to do, it does kind of dampen ones enthusiasm.

When you see players squibbing contests or missing from 30m out, something is wrong.

Lyon, as it stands, is a crap coach. The players, as it stands, don't seem to care about their performance.

What angers me is that my membership money goes into employing these guys and what do I get for it?

Passionless and pathetic attemps to play football.

And then the club tries to blackmail fans with their idiotic marketing slogans, instead of giving us what really sells:

A club with a heart, a club without spin-doctors, a club who f****** cares for its fans and who will give everything to win.

They give me none of that right now. I almost feel like they are masquerading as the team I support.

I'm sure the boys have already jetted back into Melbourne and have already got cabs straight to Star Bar. Have a drink, pull some birds - meh, I've got a three year deal and earn $350,000 per week.

Passion? Loyalty? What?
great post. go socceroos. go aussie pim. afl is a circus. these guys are getting money for jam. im sure they are pulling birds right now. how they keep getting contracts ill never know. fiora has nearly played 150 games of afl. all insipid. thats an entire career! thats more than a million bucks he has been paid. just unbelievable.
Last edited by congorozides on Sun 25 May 2008 9:35pm, edited 2 times in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:great post. go socceroos. go aussie pim.
Rubbish as they were on Friday night, they still got the win and ironed out a lot of kinks.

I can't wait for the four World Cup qualifiers - so important.

Nice to see some sportsmen who won't leave anything in the tank.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the people the flick your radio off...piss off and dont come back

its how a club dies...

stick fat

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Was furious at half time and then this weird, bizarre calm washed over me.

It was all so clear; so obvious. I would never say I stopped caring, I would never say it didn't hurt, but sheesh, when you see the players not really doing what they are paid the big bucks to do, it does kind of dampen ones enthusiasm.

When you see players squibbing contests or missing from 30m out, something is wrong.

Lyon, as it stands, is a crap coach. The players, as it stands, don't seem to care about their performance.

What angers me is that my membership money goes into employing these guys and what do I get for it?

And then the club tries to blackmail fans with their idiotic marketing slogans, instead of giving us what really sells:

A club with a heart, a club without spin-doctors, a club who f****** cares for its fans and who will give everything to win.

They give me none of that right now. I almost feel like they are masquerading as the team I support.

I'm sure the boys have already jetted back into Melbourne and have already got cabs straight to Star Bar. Have a drink, pull some birds - meh, I've got a three year deal and earn $350,000 per week.

Passion? Loyalty? What?
great post. go socceroos. go aussie pim. afl is a circus. these guys are getting money for jam. im sure they are pulling birds right now. how they keep getting contracts ill never know. fiora has nearly played 150 games of afl. all insipid. thats an entire career! thats more than a million bucks he has been paid. just unbelievable.

Great comment

Where does all the membership money go year after year.
Its hard but I have lossed all passion for the club, and I dont feel like committing financially to the club (broke anyway)

Not even bothered with football in general

Go Melbourne Storm

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Timmid would be proud.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:

Passion? Loyalty? What?
Yep game stuffed because we are no good. Go watch that unwatchable game then if that is how you feel. Remember though you will get such a chip on your shoulder that you will not be able to walk straight.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Passion? Loyalty? What?

know how you feel.........it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion...started off being really angry with them......started when fiora muffed a clean possession in the forward 50 with no one in sight.....my anger turned to horror...then disgust.......... all i ended up with was a sick feeling in my gut

...even in the dim dark 80's we were mostly competitive and had a real dip......with nowhere near the talent we have now.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

well i too have lost a lot of passion.
i have invested my whole youth on this team that i love, and have grown up breathing the game.

this is the 1st season where i have watched very little games that dont feature st.kilda, i used to watch as many as t.v could offer me.

its sad, and it makes me sad to say it...but i really feelmore passion for liverpool and soccer in general than i do for the saints and the afl at the moment :cry:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
matrix
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:Never turned the radio off much in previous years.

So far it's happened three times this year, Port, Lions and Dogs.

Flicked it off and couldn't care less...
i got to work at the start of the game.
cranked the radio and by half time i had walked away and wasnt paying attention.
nothing i didnt expect, but still, its a kick in the guts... even when u know its coming.

ill stick with them, been there before.
never give up.....no matter what

a lose to the dees and there will be serious ramifications on the inside i feel

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

its true... i was just watching shaking my head...the players play liek they no longer care too... u give them everything but eventually u stop giving

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

It's not a club anymore.

It's a business.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Wlll noones posted in this thread for 24hrs.

Maybe a few of you have had a read back and thought.."Hmm mehh maybe I was a bit emotional and pyssed off when I wrote that"

I BLOODY WELL HOPE SO!!!!!

My first thought when I read this was "oh look, all the fairweather fans collected together in the one thread" but thats a touch harsh. I know some of you as being great Saints people, and to be honest was surprised and a little disapointed at some of the posters who contributed.

I will temper all this though by saying that I did not see or hear one minute of Sunday's game. Chance had me booked for lunch and a movie weeks ago, so was reliant on SMS's from the ground for my scores (thanks HD) Perhaps this has tempered my negativity, although Ive read all the gloom and doom since, both here and in the mainstream press.

Look, things arent great. We are playing uninspiring footy, our list needs youth badly, and many of our senior players are out of touch. But...when push comes to shove, no matter how dark the hour..

WE ARE STILL THE St KILDA FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!!

FORTIUS QUO FIDELIUS people!!!!!!!

So come on , chant that phrase to yourself a few hundred times, pick yourself up, shake off the "oh woe is me I hate footy" attitude and and show that we are made of better stuff than that!!!

Most of us remember the 80's..almost all of us remember 2000-2002..we aint anywhere near those depths yet.

If you have kids who are young Sainters...have a talk to them. Tell em what it means to show loyalty..to stick fat to things you love when times are a bit tough. Then get em to the Dome on Sunday and lets show OUR Club that we are better than fairweather Dees fans..that we've seen wayy worse than the blip we are going through now..and that no matter what, no matter when, we LOVE THE ST.KILDA FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
carnasaints55
Club Player

seriously boys. pick it up. im an american supporter with an australian dad. ive been a saints fan all my life. friday night matches are on at 2 in the morning here and the post game radio ends at around 5 in the morning. i stay up all night to listen to the sainters. fortius quo fidelius.
if i can do it here, do it in australia!
CARNA SAINTS!

NoMore
Club Player

I think Rodger summed the whole thing up best when he said

It is not a club anymore
It is a business

Thats how it feels and is the reason people are turning away in there droves
Last edited by NoMore on Tue 27 May 2008 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes it's hard to watch -especially given our 2003-6 years (2003 because we could all see the potential -we knew success was coming)
but for long time suppoerters - this is nothing - in the late 70s and through the 80s i was happy when we simply won a game.

Supporting your team is part and parcel of life -whether they are up or down,
but of course you can turn the radio off - it won't affect the game - it's not like leaving the ground early. Yes you can criticise the players and coach - hell you've earned the right after years of cheers and tears.
I'm often criticised by friends for referring to the saints as 'we' - but I feel I am part of the st kilda football club, and i'm not leaving!

ps why do some fans bag GT as a coach - he's our second most successful ever? He certainly wasn't perfect, but his record will stand the test of time.
How come others stand by Lyon but bag GT? Where's the rationale in that?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I actually still feel the same way as I did on Sunday.

The club continually pleads for the fans to pay their wages on the grounds of loyalty...it's time they started to give back to the fans who've propped up this club for 135 years.

Seriously, now is not the time to cower and sheepishly say we're happy with how things are going.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:If you have kids who are young Sainters...have a talk to them. Tell em what it means to show loyalty..to stick fat to things you love when times are a bit tough. Then get em to the Dome on Sunday and lets show OUR Club that we are better than fairweather Dees fans..that we've seen wayy worse than the blip we are going through now..and that no matter what, no matter when, we LOVE THE ST.KILDA FOOTBALL CLUB!!!!!!
Post of the year Michael. Well said!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

In 2001 I missed only one game in Melbourne. Rd 22 against Hawthorn.

I was curled up on the couch in fron of the TV with flu, alternating between the shakes and the sweats. I napped at halftime (and honestly, some parts of the game).

When Hall kicked the winning goal, I turned to my girlfriend at the time and croaked "I should have gone."

If we get that bad again, I'll still be there. The feeling I had on Sunday was similar to those days, where the only reason I was upset is because in the last few years I've been able to take pride in being a Saints fan again, and on Sunday it appeared the players didn't take pride in being Saints. It's far from the first time I've watched with a tiny bit of hope but no real belief. I can do it again if needs be.

I didn't choose to barrack for the Saints, it just happened.

Sometimes it hurts, but I'll be there against Melbourne, against the Dogs, against Freo... and I'll be back next year.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Its not that we're bad...I can, and have dealt with that before...its that we're spiritless...RL has managed to shake all of the MOJO out of this team within 18 months....I've never been bored by StKilda, not even when we were bad ....we are 4/5, mid-table...but honestly I've felt more passion for and from the club when we were stone cold bottom.

It looks like I'm not alone either.

Nee!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'd like to the thank Ross Lyon

fugazi wrote:and the StKilda football club for helping me finally overcome my addiction to AFL. Now we play the least inspiring brand of football and the spirit in the team seems well and truly at its lowest ebb, now we have completely ruled out any chance of being a competitive football team....I can move on knowing I will not be missing out on a thing....other than chronic disappointment.

I'm looking forward to getting my weekends back, spend time with the kids, read the paper without feeling sick thinking about what may have been.

No, thanks to Ross, a way has been found to bore me to the point that I simply don't care anymore.

Cheers and farewell. :(
Have been feeling the same way for ages myself.

It's a shame to say goodbye to the guy with the best username on here.
All the best, buddy.

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Watching the Saints play the last two years would induce depression in most normal fans but even the fanatics are getting tired of being disappointed with the rubbish they have been serving up to us. Winning seems optional now and watching agoal being scored elicits no real joy from the players anymore because they are so tired from having to run all the way up the field since we don't believe in having forwards play forward. There seems to be no desire to win anymore and as others have already said we always showed much more spirit in the 80's when we were so often beaten. I just don't see any "oomph" in the players anymore. They ssem just as flat as Ross is at a press conference.

I'm sad to say this but I am enjoying watching Richmond play more than I enjoy watching us play. At least they want to win and try to win. There has been no youth and energy injected into this team to reinvigorate the veterans and anybody who kick goals gets dropped or not selected (read Armitage & Ferguson).

I am just so totally turned off and I just have no expectation that we are capable of beating anybody these days. Do we ever hear anything about what is being done to improve the players? Is it any wonder we don't see any improvement? Foer all his closed sessions I would have expected the team would have been playing innovative different football.

Ross, you can open all the training sessions to anybody because nobody WANTS to play we do! Nobody would be interested in stealing any of your "secrets" because they want to play winning football.
P.S - Hint - You need to kck some goals to do that

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

bassoon wrote:Criticise the coach, criticise the players, the board, whoever else we like.

But please never, never, never give up on the Club. We nearly went under in 79 and a few other times - I don't want to see that ever again.

We will turn it around -probably not this year, probably not with Ross Lyon, probably not even next year.

But we eill turn it round.

Never give up.
God bless you bassoon :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor