D Day for Cockroach.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If the board decide to sack Lyon, I hope it's done a bit earlier in the year than when GT was axed, as it stuffed up our trade week and gave RL very little time to adjust.

If it looks like finals are shot with 4 or 5 rounds to go, and the board are jack of Lyon, then he should be axed then are there, so a replacement can be found well in time for trading/drafting etc....

I am NOT saying sack Lyon - just raising the timing issue IF it comes to that.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Part of me says I hope we smash Melbourne with some sort of entertaining football and give our season some hope -

I'll probably get bashed here but part of me also says I hope we lose so the knives can really come out.
Need to have some questions asked of the players and the coaching staff.

Buckets
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:If the board decide to sack Lyon, I hope it's done a bit earlier in the year than when GT was axed, as it stuffed up our trade week and gave RL very little time to adjust.

If it looks like finals are shot with 4 or 5 rounds to go, and the board are jack of Lyon, then he should be axed then are there, so a replacement can be found well in time for trading/drafting etc....

I am NOT saying sack Lyon - just raising the timing issue IF it comes to that.
I think that seems to be the feeling from the majority on here. If it comes to the point that we can't make finals and Lyon is to go then please let it be done early so that who ever we get in to take over has enough time to formulate a plan in regards to trading and drafting at the end of the year!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
jill
Club Player

Did anyone read Tim Lane's article in The Age? - thought it was pretty well spot on!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon won't be getting the sack this year,he'll coach the Saints in 2009 and he may even get a contract extension...He has taken on a huge task...

I wonder if Blight tried to contact him before he signed,or after he signed and wished him the best of luck,with a rider......you'll need it.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I hate myself for saying it, but I agree - we are sinking into 2000 An AFL Odyssey....

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If we do end up looking for a new coach before the end of the season, I hope they forget about all that bulls*** psychological testing that they went through last time. Apparently Lyon's biggest strength was that he remained calm under pressure...all I've seen is him get agitated and blame everyone else.

A footy coach should be picked taking into consideration their football knowledge/history, their motivation skills, any previous ties to the club and presentability to the media.

Lyon was a player who got by on effort rather than skills or smarts, had absolutely no connection to the St Kilda (didn't even apply for the job in the first place), obviously has no motivation skills and comes across as a boring smartarse in the media. He doesn't doesn't seem to be head coach material.

JeffDunne

I reckon it's absolute folly to hire a coach who lacks senior experience - and I'm not just talking AFL level.

No doubt you want someone who has been in the AFL system but I'd prefer someone who has had control of their own team at some stage. IMO that experience is more important than anything you learn as an assistant.

If we were to change this year then an experienced AFL coach has to be the priority.

The Doc
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:I reckon it's absolute folly to hire a coach who lacks senior experience - and I'm not just talking AFL level.

No doubt you want someone who has been in the AFL system but I'd prefer someone who has had control of their own team at some stage. IMO that experience is more important than anything you learn as an assistant.

If we were to change this year then an experienced AFL coach has to be the priority.
Or a coach with some sort of leadership experience.

Neil Craig hadn't coached an AFL team before taking over from Gary Ayres at Adelaide but was quite highly regarded in Australian cycling, I believe.

The background and experience of leadership, being the one giving the instructions from the very very top, is so important.

2010 has a nice ring to it.
JeffDunne

Neil Craig coached Norwood so he's had his own team.

He has also been with the Crows since '97

They knew exactly what they were getting when they promoted him.

The Doc
Club Player

Thanks for backing me up with even more positive info, Jeff.

Whereas we went with an untried bloke had, admittedly, done a fair apprenticeship, but I don't know if he'd ever LED his own team (like Craig at Norwood).

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

If we played like Melb did against the Hawks we would be unstoppable with our list. [/size

Hello? Not sure if anyone has noticed, but in the past couple of years, our list has been OVERTAKEN in terms of talent etc by other clubs who have traded and drafted far more impressively than us.

You can't help but cringe when you see some of the names of our 18-22 ranked players that keep getting picked week after week because there are no gun juniors to put the heat on them. :roll:

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Would Sheedy really be out of the question?

The Doc
Club Player

Sheedy as footy operations manager with Neale Daniher as head coach, terry daniher as fwd coach, then i'm open to suggestions for mid/backline coaches...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Hmmmm maybe we should have another look at Westaway.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Would Sheedy really be out of the question?
Absolutely...a 95 year old has-been role-playing Rommel in the coaches box, Ben Cousin's snorting coke in the changerooms, seven 12 year olds off the rookie list prematurely elevated to the seniors...that's the way for the future! Sheeesh!!! :?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Absolutely...a 95 year old has-been role-playing Rommel in the coaches box, Ben Cousin's snorting coke in the changerooms, seven 12 year olds off the rookie list prematurely elevated to the seniors...that's the way for the future! Sheeesh!!! :?
Yeah..Sheeds is and was a dud....what was I thinking.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
Sure was...RL will do just as well when we leave him there for the next 42 years...in fact, 3 monkeys on a typewriter would too.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
Sure was...RL will do just as well when we leave him there for the next 42 years...in fact, 3 monkeys on a typewriter would too.
Sorry mate but your cred has fallen of a cliff. :oops:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
Sorry mate but your cred has fallen of a cliff. :oops:
HA! I had cred??? Thanks buddy :D

Sheeds...hehe...when you're a member for life, you're a member for life...what a prophet.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
hehe , I can see why you thought that was funny.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
Gotta have time to work on it...bit like Ross really.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
How much time would you give him?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
Awww...I dunno...'bout 10 years I guess.

Aside from that Westaway miss-quote, RL's contracted 'til the end of 2009, so that's a start. He's been one of the most short-changed AFL coaches in history, having the board change from under him, the club forced to move, a large inherited injury list and a list of good players who then underperform and forget how to play basic footy...poor fella has barely had time to adjust since walking in the door.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:
Awww...I dunno...'bout 10 years I guess.

Aside from that Westaway miss-quote, RL's contracted 'til the end of 2009, so that's a start. He's been one of the most short-changed AFL coaches in history, having the board change from under him, the club forced to move, a large inherited injury list and a list of good players who then underperform and forget how to play basic footy...poor fella has barely had time to adjust since walking in the door.
You could have picked a better nic Mr Westaway. :lol:
The side has gone backwards under Lyons, you can't blame that entirely on matters outside his domain.
Till the end of his contract is reasonable but may be painful.