Strange Feeling

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

Strange Feeling

Strength through Loyalty
Courage under Fire

For what it is worth we will see where our team is at this weekend.

It has been a funny week for me as a long time Saints supporter. Anger for a start, embarrasment at our pres, pride in our captain, and finally a bit of resolve that things can change.

To me, Lyon is still a better match day coach than GT. I think he has had a reluctance to make player changes to this point because of his belief in the players. Unfortunately his belief in the players has been sadly let down. Lyon has his back to the wall, as do a lot of the players and I hope that now is the time for them to stand.

Up until now I had always thought that GT was fantastic at getting the players "ready to play" and I have expected the same out of Lyon. The question is should I have? These guys are professional footballers being paid lots. Should there be any need to motivate further?

I go in to the weekend optimistic even enthusiastic. I feel the time is right, I do not believe the crud about our list being overated but I do believe our players were a clear step ahead of themselves. I think that now we will find out truly where we are at.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Good on ya, mate.

I am hopeful too. Hopeful and optimistic.

Let's get the positive vibe back!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Good post but will a win against a young Demons side prove much at all?

Personally I'm be p1ssed off if a hard & tough St.Kilda side comes out when they haven't bothered to show up for the first 9 weeks. What an indictment on the characters of some players if that is the case.

The jury is out for at least the next month. Sustained efforts are needed to redeem the embarrassing efforts of the past two months.

sax
Club Player

Exactly!
I'm sick of ALL the negative crap that gets posted on here.
Yeh, everybody's entitled to their own oppinion, but alot of the stuff on here's negative.
It's good to get some of that positive vibe back :)
Good onya!!!! :D

SaintWal
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Good post but will a win against a young Demons side prove much at all?

Personally I'm be p1ssed off if a hard & tough St.Kilda side comes out when they haven't bothered to show up for the first 9 weeks. What an indictment on the characters of some players if that is the case.

The jury is out for at least the next month. Sustained efforts are needed to redeem the embarrassing efforts of the past two months.
I totally agree, I do think however that it was all supposed to just happen this year. I, as I say, have watched our side for a helluva long time yet I had them, not pencilled in to the GF, but close. Your last Paragraph is where we are at this weekend. Whether it be the D's or the Cats the effort on Sunday would not win against anyone.

kalsaint
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Good post but will a win against a young Demons side prove much at all?

All too true. We need to develop strings of wins to pose a threat to other potential finalists. Mind you if they could win 2 in a row I could get over their past inconsistency. Would expect more at that time though.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
yipper
SS Life Member

We still have to play them - and beat them, like every other team in the comp does. The Hawks had to work their asses off last week to beat em'. So, a good 4 quarter effort from our boys, showing some passion and committment and score a solid win in a strong performance will mean a lot - it will give them confidence to go on and get into this season and do some damage.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: Strange Feeling

SaintWal wrote:Strength through Loyalty
Courage under Fire

For what it is worth we will see where our team is at this weekend.

It has been a funny week for me as a long time Saints supporter. Anger for a start, embarrasment at our pres, pride in our captain, and finally a bit of resolve that things can change.

To me, Lyon is still a better match day coach than GT. I think he has had a reluctance to make player changes to this point because of his belief in the players. Unfortunately his belief in the players has been sadly let down. Lyon has his back to the wall, as do a lot of the players and I hope that now is the time for them to stand.

Up until now I had always thought that GT was fantastic at getting the players "ready to play" and I have expected the same out of Lyon. The question is should I have? These guys are professional footballers being paid lots. Should there be any need to motivate further?

I go in to the weekend optimistic even enthusiastic. I feel the time is right, I do not believe the crud about our list being overated but I do believe our players were a clear step ahead of themselves. I think that now we will find out truly where we are at.
What is it they say...you can choose your friends but not your family :roll:

:wink: There is always room for optimism for us Sainters!
Good post by the Way!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:To me, Lyon is still a better match day coach than GT
I'm still hoping you are right, but where is the evidence?

Saints43
Club Player

To me, Lyon is still a better match day coach than GT
I am not looking for an argument here - I'm not asking for GT to come back - I am genuinely interested. Why do you think that? Who else thinks this and why?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon is a better midfield assistant coach than GT - and that's about as much as I can say with conviction!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Mooksy
Club Player

So what if we beat Melbourne?? I wish we had come up against a Hawthorn or Geelong this week. We would have got more out of that.

HarveysDeciple

Mooksy wrote:So what if we beat Melbourne?? I wish we had come up against a Hawthorn or Geelong this week. We would have got more out of that.
you can only beat who you play....and it's not so much the bottom line that matters it's what we will see from the players.

Regardless of opponent, I just want consistent intensity and belief. If that grows and we gain some form then 08 isn't done yet.

It must start sunday.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
To me, Lyon is still a better match day coach than GT
I am not looking for an argument here - I'm not asking for GT to come back - I am genuinely interested. Why do you think that? Who else thinks this and why?
We dont know this yet. Truth is we havent - if you believe the players/captain - really seen Lyons game plan yet to make that call.

What I have seen from Lyon is his ability after a loss to pinpoint technically where we have lost the game - I do believe from listening to him speak after games that he does have a very good analytical mind for footy - he needs to convert that to performances WITH players who are prepared to apply themselves. The single bigggest weakness Riewoldt pointed to recently with Lyons game plan and players not adhereing to it was around "not holding our structures AND individual players given roles and not performing them" - to me that was very interesting and a definate sign that we have some ways to go.

To contrast I got sick to death after a loss hearing GT apologise, admit he was out coached and talk ONLY of "mental aptitude" - it told me he was a motivator, manager but not a football coach and certainly not a coach with the technical grasp on the game that was going to develop players.
Malthouse is this type of coach to me. He isnt GT 'touchy feely' with BBQ's and movies for training but he does get the best out of players who were previously just ok (Davis, Obree?, Lockyer, Swan et al) and his team are certainly well drilled as we saw against Geelong.

“Yeah….nah””