Fergie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:It was also that forward line pressure that impressed me.

Something we have been lacking for quite a while.

Fergs, hit the packs hard and took some strong marks but he also fought hard when it was on the deck, chasing, tackling etc etc.

Good game, deserved a few goals.
That's what I liked. Yes he missed some sitters but his contest in the air was great as were his 2nd efforts. I'd like to see him in there for a few weeks so he can find his feet.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Here's a guy who's had his first chance in a long while, watching lesser players get games ahead of him. He has come in, taken 4 contested marks, been a very effective go-to man and played with composure, all but for his goal kicking.

For those who wish to be critical of his performance, you are being really hard on the guy. In my view, he was a very good performer. Okay, it was agaunst a poorly performing team, but the main thing is CONTESTED MARKS.

Can anyone name me another mid-sized player on our list who can take contested marks?

I say leave him up forward and give opposition coaches something to think about.

supersaints
Club Player

Happy with Fergs game, would have been a top game had he of kicked straighy. Particuarly happy with his four contested marks among his eight , he plays tall for his size.
Good to see Ross play him in the forward line (for only the second time in his carrear). I shuddered when he moved him down back for a while where ferg showed he ain't no backman. As I have said in a previous post he needs to be given another four or five games to prove his worth.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:[Fact is he's been on our list for at least 5 years and until today had never been played in the forwadline, that's just a very sad indightment on the judgements of our former and current coach, IMHFO
So you would have played him in front of Hamill, Riewoldt, Guerra, Gehrig, Milne, Voss or Kosi? Previous coaches might not have needed him up forward.

Good effort yesterday, though. Very encouraging. Big difference between having a day out against Melbourne (kicking at goal aside) and doing it week in week out. Good luck to him.
Whether or not he would have been god enough to have worked his way into the team asa medium forward is one thing...

However it does seem very odd that for so many years that he was being played in the reserves as a medium defender (sometimes filling in as a key defender due to injuries) without evena stint up forward when his background prior was mainly as a forward.

If you thought trying to make irt asa medium forward was hard....then what about the huge list of HBF's and BP's that we had and still have on our lists.

Comparing Ferg with Roo and GTrain is not a real comparison as they are KPPs. Possibly competing with a third tall....if you play 3 talls rather than 1.

Ferg was really competing with Hamill, Guerra, Raymond and lately C Gardiner. With Hamill often being injured and raymond never showing anything....Sweeney was given alot more ofa crack up forward than Ferg ether was.

Now Ferg may or may not make it...but the way he plays the game and given his skill set....the medium marking forward slot is his chance to make the big time.

Now that he is at last being played there (both in the seniors and at Casey)..we can see how he goes.

as ytou say...good luck to him and lets see how he goes the next two wreeks against quality teams and opponents in the Dogs and the Swans.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints43
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:[Fact is he's been on our list for at least 5 years and until today had never been played in the forwadline, that's just a very sad indightment on the judgements of our former and current coach, IMHFO
So you would have played him in front of Hamill, Riewoldt, Guerra, Gehrig, Milne, Voss or Kosi? Previous coaches might not have needed him up forward.

Good effort yesterday, though. Very encouraging. Big difference between having a day out against Melbourne (kicking at goal aside) and doing it week in week out. Good luck to him.
Whether or not he would have been god enough to have worked his way into the team asa medium forward is one thing...

However it does seem very odd that for so many years that he was being played in the reserves as a medium defender (sometimes filling in as a key defender due to injuries) without evena stint up forward when his background prior was mainly as a forward.

If you thought trying to make irt asa medium forward was hard....then what about the huge list of HBF's and BP's that we had and still have on our lists.

Comparing Ferg with Roo and GTrain is not a real comparison as they are KPPs. Possibly competing with a third tall....if you play 3 talls rather than 1.

Ferg was really competing with Hamill, Guerra, Raymond and lately C Gardiner. With Hamill often being injured and raymond never showing anything....Sweeney was given alot more ofa crack up forward than Ferg ether was.

Now Ferg may or may not make it...but the way he plays the game and given his skill set....the medium marking forward slot is his chance to make the big time.

Now that he is at last being played there (both in the seniors and at Casey)..we can see how he goes.

as ytou say...good luck to him and lets see how he goes the next two wreeks against quality teams and opponents in the Dogs and the Swans.
The point was that our forward line functioned very well nearly all of his career with St Kilda. I didn't compare him with KPPs. For him to play players who were playing in the forward line would have to be moved out. Pretty straightforward. Don't know what Raymond has to do with anything I wrote.

Perhaps the former staff saw that he was unlikely to get a gig in the forward line so tried to make him into a defender (just guessing)? Maybe he was pidgeon-holed when the new guys took over?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I've been praising fergs for years, despite many posters suggesting every year that he should be delisted....

At least he has been given a go and I hope he can string a few games together.

saintsRrising wrote:He playeda fair game...not a good game.

Did enough to earn a second game, but missed som easy goals.

Was towelled up when moved to the backline. So leave him as a forward.

So you don't think 8 marks for a forward is any good.....and do you think it's just fair

He had 2 goal assists, one of which was Riewoldts only goal...

Care to explain what you mean by "towelled up"????

He had one goal kicked against him, that hardly means he was "towelled up"

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I was very impressed with game expecially his marking and foward pressure. His strong mark on the fwd 50 and the screamer he took were deffinate highlights. If he can work on his accuracy a bit he will be a super handy player.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Raven
Club Player

I don't really blame him for missing so many set shots, he was probably nervous as all hell, finally getting a big chance to prove himself. He'll only get better, IMO.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Back on 18 April ACE wrote

[quote="ace"]Some coaches are fools.
I remember one coach who kept playing Guerra on a half forward flank all the time.
He was not a success on the half forward flank so obviously can't play.
He goes to Hawthorn they try him on the backline.
He proves he can play, it was his previous coach who was a fool.

Ferguson always made to play in defence, only ever gets a game when all our tall defenders are injured.
Gets asked to play tall even though he is small.
He fails, so obviously can't play.

Will someone tell the idiot coaches to try him somewhere else before they sack him at the end of this year.

ACE would now like to thank whoever told the idiot coaches.
At least one person on the selection panel is not such a big idiot after all.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
kos
Club Player

fergs performance although not brilliant was what our forward line needed.
he potentially could be the medium forward we have been missing in our make up since hamill departed.
although a long way off he had a similar look about him to ryan okeefe. hopefully his performance isnt a one off and continues to work hard and improves on what he has shown.
in saying that i hope lyon shows some faith and persists with him.

also i found it hard to believe it took all this time to play a former all australian u18 forward in the forward line.

Red
Club Player

Loved his marking but he is quite ordinary below his knees.

He also has to play as a forward because his last quarter in the backline

he was led to the ball several times by Yze when he kicked two goals.

Hopefully he can improve his kicking but I would say he is a one trick pony.

Not that it matters if he can continue to take marks.

Red
Club Player

Loved his marking but he is quite ordinary below his knees.

He also has to play as a forward because his last quarter in the backline

he was led to the ball several times by Yze when he kicked two goals.

Hopefully he can improve his kicking but I would say he is a one trick pony.

Not that it matters if he can continue to take marks.

m_m
Club Player

5 shots on goal - 0 goals

i dunno.... :roll:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

ace wrote:Back on 18 April ACE wrote
ace wrote:Some coaches are fools.
I remember one coach who kept playing Guerra on a half forward flank all the time.
He was not a success on the half forward flank so obviously can't play.
He goes to Hawthorn they try him on the backline.
He proves he can play, it was his previous coach who was a fool.

Ferguson always made to play in defence, only ever gets a game when all our tall defenders are injured.
Gets asked to play tall even though he is small.
He fails, so obviously can't play.

Will someone tell the idiot coaches to try him somewhere else before they sack him at the end of this year.

ACE would now like to thank whoever told the idiot coaches.
At least one person on the selection panel is not such a big idiot after all.
Sorry not going to buy into your smorgasboard of self love going on here.
Thomas played Guerra back, forward and in the middle...
people try to remember Gehrig played his career in defense before he became a two times coleman medalist.
You get your chances you take them or you dont, simple as that.

Seeya
|Andy|
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:

We should have swapped him with Guerra. would have hit two birds with one stone. and guerra would also present.

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Like many others, I too have been wanting to see Fergs played as a forward, as that was how he was taken in the draft (AAU/18 forward). He has always been written up as having a good pair of hands and he sure as hell demonstrated that on Sunday.

He is too small to be a KPP, but he is more Hamill/O'Keefe sized and at least provides some forward pressure when the ball is in there. I hope he gets another 3-4 weeks to settle into the role so he can fianlly be assessed as to whether he should stay on the list next year & beyond. Good Luck to you Fergs and keep persevering.

I was, however, disappointed with his goal kicking, as this would have cemented hs place in the team. Mind you, Hamill wasn't such an accurate kick when he first started with us so let's all give him a little bit more time since he has proven that he can slot goals in the past (VFL & Juniors).

Mind you, do we have any forward in the team who is even somewhat relaible in taking a set shot for gaol??

Do we even have s goal kicking coach? We could sure as hell use one for all the forwards before we lose more matches due to this problem in the team.

Do we have a tackling coach? With all the increased expenditure in the Football Dept aren't both these areas being addressed?

|Andy|
Club Player

Rickabee wrote:Like many others, I too have been wanting to see Fergs played as a forward, as that was how he was taken in the draft (AAU/18 forward). He has always been written up as having a good pair of hands and he sure as hell demonstrated that on Sunday.

He is too small to be a KPP, but he is more Hamill/O'Keefe sized and at least provides some forward pressure when the ball is in there. I hope he gets another 3-4 weeks to settle into the role so he can fianlly be assessed as to whether he should stay on the list next year & beyond. Good Luck to you Fergs and keep persevering.

I was, however, disappointed with his goal kicking, as this would have cemented hs place in the team. Mind you, Hamill wasn't such an accurate kick when he first started with us so let's all give him a little bit more time since he has proven that he can slot goals in the past (VFL & Juniors).

Mind you, do we have any forward in the team who is even somewhat relaible in taking a set shot for gaol??

Do we even have s goal kicking coach? We could sure as hell use one for all the forwards before we lose more matches due to this problem in the team.

Do we have a tackling coach? With all the increased expenditure in the Football Dept aren't both these areas being addressed?
gehrig. easily by a mile

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Andy, agree Gehrig is certainly better than most of the team, but even he seems to be (welcome actual stats from anyone here to make a contribution) better when in motion wheeling around from a mark or free kick than from a "standing start" set shot.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
So you don't think 8 marks for a forward is any good.....and do you think it's just fair "

He had 2 goal assists, one of which was Riewoldts only goal..."
Yes fair. He earnt the ball well enough though his total possessions was on the lowish side at 10.

His marking was obviously his good point and IF the rest of his game had been up to this standard yes he may have gained a very good rating But it was not.

Most of his disposals were inaccurate with his effective Disposal Effictiveness being only 40% whch is poor by any standard.

He had 5 or 6 shots at goal and got only 4 behinds. The shots is good...the missing not.

The period he went to the backline he got beaten.

This to me totals up to a fair game...not a good game and certainly not a very good game as some have touted.
St Fidelius wrote:

Yes he was only in the back line for a short period in which he was beaten and had at least one..perhaps 2 goals kicked on him. That to me means he was towelled up.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Yes he was only in the back line for a short period in which he was beaten and had at least one..perhaps 2 goals kicked on him. That to me means he was towelled up.
I don't know if you have a problem is reading....

AGAIN

he had ONE goal kicked against him NOT "perhaps 2"....

Yze was the player who received a good pass that would have been hard for anyone to stop.

Yze kicked another goal when Dempster was on him.

To say that he was "towelled up", indicates to me, that you have never been a fan of Fergs and now you are attempting to justify this by suggesting that he was "towelled up"

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
joffaboy wrote:so you think 0.4 with one OOF is a good return from a forward b4e???

Would rather think Schneider and Milne did much better and actually did what they get paid for - kick goals.

Ferguson took so nice marks and a speccy, but has a long way to go.
On another day he would have kickd 5, the fact is he presented and took the grabs and created at least 3 other shots on goal that fair dinkum should have been, converted
I think his kicking has always been an issue, and a main reason for not playing forward.

I think I even remember this comment when he was drafted.

However, I thought his game was the most exciting thing to happen at our club since Lyon has taken over.

savatage
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
joffaboy wrote:so you think 0.4 with one OOF is a good return from a forward b4e???

Would rather think Schneider and Milne did much better and actually did what they get paid for - kick goals.

Ferguson took so nice marks and a speccy, but has a long way to go.
On another day he would have kickd 5, the fact is he presented and took the grabs and created at least 3 other shots on goal that fair dinkum should have been, converted
I think his kicking has always been an issue, and a main reason for not playing forward.

I think I even remember this comment when he was drafted.

However, I thought his game was the most exciting thing to happen at our club since Lyon has taken over.
You're absolutely correct Rodger on that - his kicking was always iffy in the U18's.

He was definitely exciting & just keeps on presenting - so I hope he can grasp his chance.

saintsrokk
Club Player

Fergie...?? isnt that some singers name? ill stick with Ferguson great player!!
________
CAODAISM FORUM
Last edited by saintsrokk on Sun 20 Feb 2011 8:25am, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Dont forget his 7 goals a few weeks ago for the Scorps. He must be able to hit the target sometimes.
He would have been under a lot of pressure on Sunday, probably self-induced. You will find he will be more accurate with a few games under his belt.

AlpineStars
Club Player

Imagine if we had put the games in him as we have Fiora and Raph? Do our selection commitee give a free ride to high draft picks as they don't want to be critisied for making a mistake? Example if Ferg doesn't make it its not going to be seen as a waste but if Raph as a first round pick doesn't make it then they have failed?

Wake me up when September ends.