Clint Jones on the weekend

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

luckysaint
Club Player

Clint Jones on the weekend

I hadn't seen this brought up in the forum so i thought I'd raise it for discussion. I thought his impact was fairly decent. Looking over the stats today he had 20 possies, 7 tackles, 2 assists and a goal. Apparently his efficiency was 75%, however when i watched the game i didn't seem to notice any glaring errors at all. I really liked his run and carry as well.
It may be because Melbourne weren't really in a position to apply pressure, but I'm hoping that this could really be a breakout game for Clint and that it will reassure him that he belongs at the top level.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Can t question his endeavour. Unfortunately his disposal varies from fair to downright ugly. He isnt alone though.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

IMO his game on the weekend was actually very good, even for AFL standard, and I have been a CJ critic for a while now, if he could play like that week in week out I would be over the moon, but we have to remember that it was against Melbourne...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Club Player

I think he reminded me a bit of Hamill... I think he has something....something intangible

Mooksy
Club Player

HE SHOULD NEVER BE OUT OF THE TEAM FULL BLOODY STOP NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT!!!!

Club Player

Armoooo wrote:IMO his game on the weekend was actually very good, even for AFL standard, and I have been a CJ critic for a while now, if he could play like that week in week out I would be over the moon, but we have to remember that it was against Melbourne...
He is not in every weekend, so how can he play like that every weekend? Give the guy some game time to find his feet and confidence. He has something I know it I can see it.

iceman
Club Player

played better because he backed himself, ran FORWARDS and when in doubt when long down the line to a, at worst, contested situation.. Work Rate can never be doubted, added a bit of midfield pace to compliment Ball Dal Hayes.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

123 wrote:I think he reminded me a bit of Hamill...
Me too. Two arms, too legs.

Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
- defensive forward pressure, hard at the ball.

Ignore his talent at your own peril

St.Kenny
Club Player

Impressed greatly. Not wishing to sound 'deviant' in any way but he really is a useful weapon when hardness matters.

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
savatage
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:
This made me laugh!

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

been talking him up and is starting to show his worth... well done clinton... late bloomer and adds aggression and want to the team

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well one thing you can say about Jones is that he has improved greatly asa player since he arrived..

He has played relatively few senior games and so there is a large potential upside if he can keep improving.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Furphy
Club Player

When I see him, with that mop af blond hair, I keep thinking Trevor Barker is back.

congorozides
Club Player

he is certainly worth persisiting with. just get a biomechanist to help him with his kicking. seriously, if the new board want to spend more on the footy department, here is a chance. get some professionals in and look at this kids kicking action.

i mean he is certainly better thatn blake, fizzer, raph, mcqualtar. and we have been perisiting with fizzer for 100 games FFS.

CJ is the LEAST of our worries. just teach the kid how to kick. if that means working on it 2 hours per day so be it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:he is certainly worth persisiting with. just get a biomechanist to help him with his kicking. seriously, if the new board want to spend more on the footy department, here is a chance. get some professionals in and look at this kids kicking action.

i mean he is certainly better thatn blake, fizzer, raph, mcqualtar. and we have been perisiting with fizzer for 100 games FFS.

CJ is the LEAST of our worries. just teach the kid how to kick. if that means working on it 2 hours per day so be it.
I think that they may already have been working on this as he has improved quite markedly from when he arrived.

I think he has good from awful to below average.

Most of his kicks were actually ok...and I note that this last game that his overall disposal effectiveness was 75% which is afiar bit up on the 50 odd % that he used to rack up.

About the one poorish kick I remember was when he attempted to pass aross to the running in space sam Fisher and it fell short for an esay interception bya Dees player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

CJ shows alot of potential, he's got that tough edge about him. I thought all the kids did pretty well Sunday.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:HE SHOULD NEVER BE OUT OF THE TEAM FULL BLOODY STOP NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT!!!!
I agree totally. I must admit to being very critical of CJ last year (mostly his disposal) but he just throws himself in to the contest with Hamill like intensity and as far as im concerned we have missed that this year.

I would love to see him become a regular in the side.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bergsone
SS Life Member

Disposal has been the problem ,as we all know,but against melb it was allright.improving which we all want .See how this holds up against better sides under more pressure.certainly have him in my 22 ,especially if the skills KEEP improving

Huzzad
Club Player

Great game on Sunday. I saw one or two small skill errors, but I also saw some great passes to Roo on the lead which hit him right on the chest. He seems to be improving in the skill area for sure. Hopefully the game lifted his confidence.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
GrumpyOne

Shows the benefit of astute rookie recruitment.

congorozides
Club Player

at least he seems to take the game seriously... he gets 10/10 for effort.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

always has a fair dinkum go and seems to give us a bit of zip. did enough to keep his place.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Sunday was the best game of CJ's I've seen at the Saints. Well done to the young man for his persistance. Nothing wrong whatsoever with his endevour, and if his disposal continues to improve he may yet make a player.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Kicked a good goal too.

If he can get his 10-15 possessions with an efficiency around 75-80%, keep an opposition player quieter than himself and snag the odd goal, he could be a very important player for us.