Clint Jones on the weekend

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beekay
SS Life Member

n1ck wrote:Kicked a good goal too.

If he can get his 10-15 possessions with an efficiency around 75-80%, keep an opposition player quieter than himself and snag the odd goal, he could be a very important player for us.

If anyone in our team could do that they would be an improved (excluding a very few) and very important player.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Some people here will never change their opinions even if things do change dramatically. CJ has improved in his play and his work ethic is never questioned. CJ had 20 disposals 7 tackles last weekend and only 2 clangers vs Melbourne. Lenny Hayes had 20 possessions 2 tackles and 2 clangers last week as well . For a guy who supposedly has the worst skills in the league CJ seems to have got a fair bit of it and used it pretty well a kin to Hayes. Surely this shows some improvement even if it was against very little pressure from Melbourne.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:IMO his game on the weekend was actually very good, even for AFL standard, and I have been a CJ critic for a while now, if he could play like that week in week out I would be over the moon, but we have to remember that it was against Melbourne...
armooo i genrally agree with most of what you post but by your logic then how bad is kosi cause he had a shocker as you say against only Melb

i think CJ gets a lot of unfair critisim due to the fact he came with a fair bit of hype being our first real rookie pick who could get a game in the seniors and as for his "shocking disposal" i think you will find there are some who are widely concidered as stars who are as bad or worse offenders

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
starsign
Club Player

CJ definitely has it, IMHO, and if he keeps improving at the rate he's going could soon be in the top 12!

!00% effort and enthusiasm
Much needed pace, especially over the first few important meters
Reads the play well, and gets the ball
Good tackler, with the ability to run down an opponent
Kicking is well on the improve ( i only noticed 1 miss its target through intercept) which indicates a commendable "work in progress" in this essential area....someone is doing their job here by the looks , which augers well for CJ and the Saints

He is going to be a very valuable player in the not too distant future!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

big game for him VS the Doggies this week...

its one thing to play well in a 60point win VS the bottom team, lets see if he can actually produce against quality opposition

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

As I recall his first game against the doggies last season was very good...

jill
Club Player

Has worked on improving disposal - love his enthusiasm & endeavour - rather see CJ out there than Fiora!

Apu
Club Player

jill wrote:Has worked on improving disposal - love his enthusiasm & endeavour - rather see CJ out there than Fiora!
Agree 100% - I will be very dissapointed if he gets dropped

Club Player

His long, raking pass to Roo was a beauty. and his snapped goal too. His kicking still looks shithouse, but the end results were as respectable as anyone's.
What I really liked was his determination to kick, regardless, and not run around and around looking for a kicker to hand off to.

spert
Saintsational Legend

As far as I'm concerned, CJ and Armo are automatic picks, as are any other players who run hard, apply pressure and attack the contest with 100% effort.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Armo can be classified as a "hard runner" at the moment.

CJ most definitely, but Armitage still has some work to do.

As for CJ's kicking, avid has it spot on. It looks ugly, no doubt about it. Not a fluid motion and he has arms flailing everywhere, but it seems to work for him at the moment. I think he will still struggle to dispose well under pressure due to his unorthodox action.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

CJ is improving all the time. It comes with getting to know what this afl caper is all about. If he keeps giving 100% and keeps improving we can't/shouldn't ask for any more than that !!

HarveysDeciple

spert wrote:As far as I'm concerned, CJ and Armo are automatic picks, as are any other players who run hard, apply pressure and attack the contest with 100% effort.
absolutely.

would be ridiculous to drop him.

Was far from our worst in Brissy and played well against the dees.

He has pace, and chases and tackles, brings plenty to the side and must stay in.