Rd 11 team vs Bulldogs- no change

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Here are the requirements for me to be happy with Fiora getting another AFL game for StKilda:

1. I have to hear that he is dominating VFL footy.
2. I have to hear that he is putting his head over the ball.
3. I have to hear that he is actually laying a dead-set takle.

Until those boxes are ticked then he is in the de-list column for the end of the year. Im a huge believer in toughness before skill, and for a team that has lost the hard-ball all year I cant accept him playing in any position.

I'll say it again.....we will never win a Premiership with players who refuse to be hard in the contest.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:its a shame really i know none of the "ins" will actually play i would of prefered the coach took the opertunity to reward one of the younger guys by getting their name read out on the footy show instead of the same old same old Fizz fish and gwilt
because ross lyon looks to the footy show to give his players boosts

because ross lyon thinks that putting a younger player in the lights of maingain or whatever its called in the age will be so beneficial to his football development

the longer our kids are under the radar the better
loosen the grip mate
not just to get their names on the footy show i know the coach wouldnt give too hoots about that but its seen as a reward to be named on the extended list and i would serve as more of a wake up to Fizz to be left well out of the team

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:its a shame really i know none of the "ins" will actually play i would of prefered the coach took the opertunity to reward one of the younger guys by getting their name read out on the footy show instead of the same old same old Fizz fish and gwilt
because ross lyon looks to the footy show to give his players boosts

because ross lyon thinks that putting a younger player in the lights of maingain or whatever its called in the age will be so beneficial to his football development

the longer our kids are under the radar the better
loosen the grip mate
not just to get their names on the footy show i know the coach wouldnt give too hoots about that but its seen as a reward to be named on the extended list and i would serve as more of a wake up to Fizz to be left well out of the team
the kids that we think are close are close...it wont matter two s***s if they are named or not as they won't play

and im not loosening any grip...its about time this club held a grip

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:WHY not allen, mcevoy,
Beacuse it means that all of Roo, King and Gardi are considered fit with no niggles that may caise them to miss.

This is a good thing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rd 11 team vs Bulldogs- here

saintbrat wrote:

WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Morris, Lake, Addison
HB: Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee
C: Ward, Boyd, Cross
HF: Giansiracusa, Hahn, Johnson
F: Akermanis, Minson, Welsh
FOLL: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen
I/C from: Ray, Hill, Tiller, Eagleton, Everitt, Harbrow, Street
IN: Everitt, Harbrow, Hill, Street, Ward
OUT: Callan (hamstring), Murphy (suspended)
NEW: Callan Ward, Selection No.19, 2007 National Draft, from Western Under-18s
Looks like the reverse of recent saints v Dogs matches..

The dogs are looking to go tal to try and stretch us.

Lets hope it makes them cumbersome.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

talls outweight smalls and if our talls can dominate we win

simple

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Yep. No change

BallBanger
Club Player

StTrav, problem is our list is shallow and cant furnish our needs...only young guys avail are McEvoy/Allen who unfortunately would upset our midfield rotation if played...We already have our rucks rotating so cannot afford more of the same...

Sobraz
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:
rogerwa wrote:even if you dont intend to play them WHY name 3 players who are just not up to it & never will be
fiora,fisher ,guilt

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fiora get a game on Sunday, and I wouldn't disagree with it either: perhaps ahead of M Gardiner.

Geez some of you guys on here are quick to write players off. If you guys had been in charge at the club, we would have probably gotten rid of Robert Harvey after his first couple of seasons!!
Without doubt the most ridiculous post of the year... Possibly that i have ever read...

Flora is clearly not up to the grade, as he has shown time and time and time again... The guy is a dud and it is indictment of Ross and his staff that he is even considered...

The possibility of choosing him ahead of MG is absolutely absurd... aside from the obvious postional differences, MG has been on the rapid improve every game he has played and was fantastic against Melb.. He is far and away our best ruck... Selection ideas like this show an absolute lack of any clue whatsoever to football....

Third, R. Harvey was a star straight away... After missing the majority of his first year with a broken leg, in a year in which he broke in as a 16 year old, he became a gun of the side within 12 months... After his first 'couple of seasons' he was a gun midfielder of the comp..

Flora has had 8 years, plenty of time to write him off...

Still cant believe what i read...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fiora get a game on Sunday, and I wouldn't disagree with it either: perhaps ahead of M Gardiner.
You have issues. Get some help. :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

IN: L.Fisher, Gwilt, Fiora

OMG, is this some sick nightmare. I don't ever remember feeling so upset with changes to the team.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

It makes sense that Fiora is picked. We have always had one dud (and sometimes more) as fixtures in the team. The days of Stephen Newport and Dean Anderson are back!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
meher baba wrote:Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fiora get a game on Sunday, and I wouldn't disagree with it either: perhaps ahead of M Gardiner.
Without doubt the most ridiculous post of the year... Possibly that i have ever read...

Flora is clearly not up to the grade, as he has shown time and time and time again... The guy is a dud and it is indictment of Ross and his staff that he is even considered...

The possibility of choosing him ahead of MG is absolutely absurd... aside from the obvious postional differences, MG has been on the rapid improve every game he has played and was fantastic against Melb.. He is far and away our best ruck... Selection ideas like this show an absolute lack of any clue whatsoever to football.......
I just love the standard of debate on this forum sometimes

I must have read thousands of posts on here complaining about how slow we are compared to other clubs

Well guys, step back and have a think about it for a minute. Like all of you, I admire the application and sheer guts that MG has shown this year. But he is surely the slowest and most immobile player in the afl!! Last time we played the dogs, minson cut us to shreds. Look at the two lineups and do the matchups

Fiora aint much chop this season, but he's certainly got some leg speed which, last time I looked, was kind of sort of useful against the doggies

Honest to goodness, why can't a poster express a legitimate opinion without being abused?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The naming of Fiora, Gwilt and L. Fisher represents three guys that will not benefit from playing with Casey this week.

I think we're pretty confident that everyone will be fit for the game, and as casey play before the saints, naming McEvoy, Allen and such will rob them of the chance of playing for Casey.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
meher baba wrote:
How do you do it teffers? Personally I have never been able to look at myself in the mirror and post to SS at the same time.

Impressive

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Teflon wrote:
meher baba wrote:
How do you do it teffers? Personally I have never been able to look at myself in the mirror and post to SS at the same time.

Impressive
Indeed...Teflon, stop playing the man will you? Cant you just for once disgree with someones opnion without having to question their mental capabilities???

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
killa_gram
Club Player

It's simple really.

If Fiona plays, then we will not win. Not one chance in a million. If he doesn't play then we we have a shot at winning.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Bakes and X both named for Casey.
Were they both available or is their selection with Casey based on "we are not sure what St Kilda players will be available, we will find out on the day"

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
HarveysDeciple

ace wrote:Bakes and X both named for Casey.
Were they both available or is their selection with Casey based on "we are not sure what St Kilda players will be available, we will find out on the day"
I wouldn't mind giving them a run in the twos first anyway.

Huge game for the saints and whilst they would be useful can't risk players who may be underdone.

Also wrapped that armo, geary and jones keep getting picked. they are the future and must keep getting games.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:The days of Stephen Newport and Dean Anderson are back!
When's Jamie Elliott going to fufill all that potential?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

Geez some of you guys on here are quick to write players off. If you guys had been in charge at the club, we would have probably gotten rid of Robert Harvey after his first couple of seasons!!

FFS Baba, how many chances do you want to give Fiora. He's farkin' useless. Why persist? You reckon we're quick to write players off. You seem a bit slow to recognise a dud when you see one. As Roger said, he's had 8 years at senior level. Still "finding his feet" ? What a crock. He's a dud. End of story.

gosaints
Club Player

I won't be surprised to see L.Fisher come into the team.

The Dogs have a minimum of 3 blokes who will require a hard tag in Cooney, Griffen and Aker. Our team as named has 2 blokes who could do a job in Dempster and Birss. I think L.Fisher will come in for Geary and I think it will be the correct decision.

Nothing against Geary as he is a good young player who hasn't really put a foot wrong but we need the best match-ups and for this reason I'd drop him for Leigh.

JeffDunne

Although Gardiner was good last week I'm not sure he's a better option than King yet.

I do think with ruckman your selections should be based purely on the opposition and not a fixed plan to play 2 ruckman. Unfortunately for us most teams have develop decent ruck tandems and we don't have the confidence in either ruckman to run out a game.

I really don't see much choice atm but to play both.

However I could understand the logic in not playing Gardiner week after week on the TD surface without a rest given his history.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
meher baba wrote:

FFS Baba, how many chances do you want to give Fiora. He's farkin' useless. Why persist? You reckon we're quick to write players off. You seem a bit slow to recognise a dud when you see one. As Roger said, he's had 8 years at senior level. Still "finding his feet" ? What a crock. He's a dud. End of story.

Forget for just a minute that Fiora was an early first round draft pick.

While he will never be a star, he is a reasonable player, albeit subject more than most to seemingly inexplicable losses of form.

I would place him on a par ATM - or even slightly above - the likes of Leigh Fisher, Dempster, C Gardiner, Blake, Birss, Ferguson, Armitage, Clinton Jones and Raph Clarke and a cut above Rix, Howard, Allen, Gwilt and this years new picks.

Ah but - you might say - some of those others are newer and potentially have lots more upside than Fiora. And that's true, but - in the middle of a season -a coach should be putting together a team from those players that he has available to him each week, not thinking about how good such and such a player is going to be in 3 years' time if you "put some games into him".

Last season, Fiora was close to being an automatic pick each week. This season, he has struggled a bit, but he is still of borderline AFL standard, as are the other 9 players I have listed above. If he could kick accurately for goal, I would rate him a little higher.

FFS, he's got some skills, which we sorely need right now. IMO our team is not oversupplied with Fioras ATM, its oversupplied with plodders like Dempster, Birss, Blake, Jones and others who can't seem to hit a target.

Posters on here are too obsessed with work ethic and not enough with basic talent IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

<Warning: Stats ahead>

Fiora is averaging 10.6 disposals per game this year.

2008 is actually his worst year (from a Champion Data rating perspective) since 2001, his second year at Richmond, averaging 41.6 this year

No doubts his 2007 was great, averaging 15.6 disposals and 5.3 marks per game. His tackles have also dropped from 2.1 tackles per game in 2007, down to 1.4 for 2008.

I don't believe he can reach his '07 form again, and should be delisted at seasons end. If he can show good consistent form at Casey, then he can be selected based on form. But with one game in the past two weeks, and that game being a relative shocker for him, even having him named as an emergency at this time is just stupid.

Source: http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=646