Zone defence vs man on man

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Doc
Club Player

Zone defence vs man on man

I was at the game yesterday and was really happy with the pressure and zoning that we were doing in the first quarter to keep the ball in our fwd line, especially when the dogs had possession. Sure we didn't convert our opportunities when they came along, but at least we were in the contest.

I have no idea what happened at 1/4time, whether we slacked off (or fell asleep after Ross Lyon started talking again), or if Rodney Eade worked out how to beat what we were doing, but it took us til the 4th quarter to react and change to play almost man on man footy - which worked somewhat better.

Can the players take some ownership and realise things have changed and adapt, or does it have to come from the coaches box? Either way, we react too slowly when teams change the way they play us.

They have us worked out way too easily and we seem to be one-trick ponies - both as a team and as individuals.

So frustrated! :cry:

2010 has a nice ring to it.
StBean

I'm not sure what goes on in the huddle Doc, but for some reason the attack just stops. To me, it seems like RL tells the boys to settle it down or something. You wouldn't think it when the team is so far on top, but for the life of me I fail to see why Grams run off half just seems to come to an abrupt halt!?!
I didnt notice Eade making too many drastic changes. All I noticed was that our run off half back and our use of the corridor just vanished.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zone defence vs man on man

The Doc wrote:I was at the game yesterday and was really happy with the pressure and zoning that we were doing in the first quarter to keep the ball in our fwd line, especially when the dogs had possession. Sure we didn't convert our opportunities when they came along, but at least we were in the contest.

I have no idea what happened at 1/4time, whether we slacked off (or fell asleep after Ross Lyon started talking again), or if Rodney Eade worked out how to beat what we were doing, but it took us til the 4th quarter to react and change to play almost man on man footy - which worked somewhat better.

Can the players take some ownership and realise things have changed and adapt, or does it have to come from the coaches box? Either way, we react too slowly when teams change the way they play us.

They have us worked out way too easily and we seem to be one-trick ponies - both as a team and as individuals.

So frustrated! :cry:
We were deemed to be one trick ponies in GT's day so nothings really changed except the guys positioning the witches hats

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
santazzi
Club Player

My theory is that (as I refuse to believe our guys are as bad as they are "performing" at the moment, Ross and the boys are trying to crawl over the line in to the top 8 and then unleash the most devastating game plan on the opposition. before they wake up to the plan .......Bingo we have a second flag!!!!!!!...........