Riewoldt to defence?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plumtire
Club Player

Riewoldt to defence?

I'm beginning to think that Patrick Smith had a point regarding NR playing at centre half back. With his marking ability and aerobic capacity he would be more than a match for the Buddy Franklins and Matthew Pavlichs. I can see him setting up quick rebounding attacks from deep in defence with his ability to read a game. The added bonus would be that he could also play down on the forward line at periods of the game just to keep the opposition one step behind us.
Plumtire for coach? :wink:

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

It could only happen if either Gehrig was in form and fit, or Allen was bashing down the door at Casey.

It would probably shake up our insipid forward line, but i don't think it's a long term solution.

BelfastSaint
Club Player

What about Kosi in defense as put forward by Glen Archer on FC last night ...

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt to defence?

Considering the position we're in ATM it could be a move that could change the whole season. "Desperate situations require desperate measures"?? It may be a useful move to make during a game? At least its trying SOMETHING...the guy is costing us big time with his kicking for goal at present.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is unfortunately a fraction of the athlete he was at 18, the last time he played at CHB. can really only run in straight lines and at no great pace. He'd probably do alright if every team bombed it long to a contest every time like we do...but against a mobile CHF he'd be smashed on the lead

Roo..well he's pinch hitted in defence before but as someone has said we are a bit bereft of KP forwards if he goes down there. Personally Id have him on a WIng if we were to move him, but he's obviously playing hurt and I doubt has the knees to run the 16-18k's a game that he no doubt would if he was given license to.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

max hudghton to full forward

every journo is going to state that everyone should be playing out of position for the next little while

enjoy the laughable ideas that are put to print

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Batnoe

Andrew McQualter = Full forward!!!!

saintbob
SS Life Member

Ferguson - FF
Riewoldt - Wing
Kosi - CHB
Goddard - Wing/On ball
C.Gardiner - CHF

Obviously the forward set up isn't working now, so lets find out if Fergie and Chuck CAN and WANT to play AFL. Make them the go to forwards with Blake as another marking option, with Montagna, Schiender, Harvey and the on ballers cleaning up when it hits the ground

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we were so badly mauled on the ball and around the ground after quarter time on sunday that it gave our forwards no chance.

the ball tended to come in there under extreme pressure or not at all. to make things worse kosi was on one leg.

i think we need to persevere with riewoldt and kosi forward. give them space and get it in there quickly. and obviously we need a lot more from our small forwards than milne and schneider were able to offer on sunday. and a contribution from a medium-sized forward is vital also.

the on-ball division is what needs work. i'd add gram, bj and gilbert (when he's ready) to the midfield rotation and see if that can't shake things up a bit.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Riewoldt should play a role like Matty Richardson and push up the groung into the midfield more.

Kosi is not moblie enough to go back to CHB but should be given a shot at it or even as a loose man in defence.

Silvio_Foschini
Club Player

Cant believe people are being so critical of Nick... What about all the underperforming players around him ?