Team against the Swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

matrixcutter wrote:give koz the week off....ffs, his injured and out of touch.

start ferg up in the goal square, f**k it.....what do we have to lose?
i mean really, come on, he cant go any worse than anyone else who has had a go up there this year.
granted he didnt have the kicking boot on a few weeks ago and kicked 4 points, but ffs no one else is doing any friggin better.

nothing to lose, everything to gain in my opinion.

but im sure RL will pluck something from his onion and make us all go, wtf?...does he actually know what he is doing.
+1

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

B: Gwilt, Hudghton, L.Fisher
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, Howard
C: Armitage, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Goddard, Ferguson, Birss
F: Milne, Riewoldt, Schneider

Foll: M.Gardiner, Ball, Dal Santo
Int: Blake, Geary, Jones, King

OUT: Kosi (inj/rest), Dempster
IN: King, Howard

Of course I don't actually expect to see Howard get a game, Ferguson played at CHF alongside BJ, Schneider played in his true position, Armitage given any significant TOG or see Dempster dropped, but those are just my thoughts on a method of actually getting something from a game for a change.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:give koz the week off....ffs, his injured and out of touch.

start ferg up in the goal square, f**k it.....what do we have to lose?
i mean really, come on, he cant go any worse than anyone else who has had a go up there this year.
granted he didnt have the kicking boot on a few weeks ago and kicked 4 points, but ffs no one else is doing any friggin better.

nothing to lose, everything to gain in my opinion.

but im sure RL will pluck something from his onion and make us all go, wtf?...does he actually know what he is doing.
+1
\

No he dosent, scary init? He has just realised our midfield needs a bit of pace. FFS, its taken him 18 months?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:B: Gwilt, Hudghton, L.Fisher
HB: Gram, S.Fisher, Howard
C: Armitage, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Goddard, Ferguson, Birss
F: Milne, Riewoldt, Schneider

Foll: M.Gardiner, Ball, Dal Santo
Int: Blake, Geary, Jones, King

OUT: Kosi (inj/rest), Dempster
IN: King, Howard

Of course I don't actually expect to see Howard get a game, Ferguson played at CHF alongside BJ, Schneider played in his true position, Armitage given any significant TOG or see Dempster dropped, but those are just my thoughts on a method of actually getting something from a game for a change.
Why drop Dempster after a good game and put in a guy who did no good in a lower competition. Is it because you didnt see Howard play bad so lets just put him in. Lets a least drop guys out of form and play guys in form.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why drop Dempster after a good game and put in a guy who did no good in a lower competition. Is it because you didnt see Howard play bad so lets just put him in. Lets a least drop guys out of form and play guys in form.
Because Dempster is a nothing player. He might hold his opponent to 12 touches while he gets 8 himself. Does nothing to win us games and hasn't shown any signs on improvement in the last few years.

Howard was taken with what was worth a first round pick most years and I'd like to see if he was worth it. We desperately lack pace in the midfield and defence, so he might as well get a game.

And it's not like having Howard in the team instead of Dempster will cost us the match.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why drop Dempster after a good game and put in a guy who did no good in a lower competition. Is it because you didnt see Howard play bad so lets just put him in. Lets a least drop guys out of form and play guys in form.
Because Dempster is a nothing player. He might hold his opponent to 12 touches while he gets 8 himself. Does nothing to win us games and hasn't shown any signs on improvement in the last few years.

Howard was taken with what was worth a first round pick most years and I'd like to see if he was worth it. We desperately lack pace in the midfield and defence, so he might as well get a game.

And it's not like having Howard in the team instead of Dempster will cost us the match.
Under that theory you could drop plenty of players then. Play blokes from seconds if they are in form not because we need a change.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger, how has allen been going at casey and is kosi expected to play?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:plugger, how has allen been going at casey and is kosi expected to play?
Dont have a clue about Kosi but would think he would play. Allen has been average since he was emergency 6 weeks ago. If Kosi doesnt come up he might be a chance though as i have a feeling Ferg will be omitted again.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:plugger, how has allen been going at casey and is kosi expected to play?
Dont have a clue about Kosi but would think he would play. Allen has been average since he was emergency 6 weeks ago. If Kosi doesnt come up he might be a chance though as i have a feeling Ferg will be omitted again.
ta.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Ferg omitted for who though? Its just incompetance if it happens. He plays one game and does real well, besides the goalkicking but he aint Robinson Caruso there, then after one more game drop him? Just dosent make sense to me.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Ferg omitted for who though? Its just incompetance if it happens. He plays one game and does real well, besides the goalkicking but he aint Robinson Caruso there, then after one more game drop him? Just dosent make sense to me.
we don't tend to give players a lot of confidence or show much faith in them.

whatever gt's other numerous faults were he did have confidence in a lot of the kids coming through and they tended to repay him by playing out of their skins.

raph for instance, rightly or wrongly, might already be in the "tried and failed" category after 30-odd games.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I hope they don't play Koschitzke with that bung knee.

Leigh Fisher will most likely be chopped.

So, the only changes I see likely are:

McQuallter for L.Fisher

R.Clarke for Koschitzke

If Howard gets a game I'll be pleased, but this is a pretty conservative slection panel we have.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

On the subject of Dempster.

Last week he had 8 possessions, only four of them effective, while Cooney had 26.

Dempster has no footy smarts, and is a 1980s style tagger.

Shaggy
Club Player

I want to see Ferg as a FF, Gwilt on the wing and Mini as mid fielder without tagging responsibilities in this week (and subject to not disgracing themselves) a minimum 2 games afterwards.

Its time to work out whether they are up to it or need to go at the end of the year but they should be given a proper go to prove themselves (as Murray was in his last year). They have all done very well at VFL level and are now mature enough they should be able to step up to the plate if good enough.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Of course I don't actually expect to see Howard get a game...
Ross did mention Howard along with Mini and Big Ben as a few young players pushing for selections. I would think that Mini would be the most likely of them to play although Big Ben could get a run if King's back is still bothering him. If Ross does move Gram into the midfield, we might see Howard given a chance at taking the running HB role. You'd probably rather start him against Freo than Sydney though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

McEvoy must get a game this week or at least be an emergency. We were badly exposed last week having no talls in the emergencies.

We must play a tall that is near 100% fit, King and Koschitzke are battling injury, Riewoldt is still not at peak fitness and M.Gardiner is playing the best he has for us but is still far from agile.

Also, we would not want the situation where we have to play Blake in the ruck again, particularly when he will be needed to tag Goodes.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I know McQualter has played well at Casey. The problem with him is that he typifies our midfield problems, he's not quick enough therefore I would be putting Stevens in front of him.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Ferg should be dropped... He simply isnt upto it... Beat up on a pathetic Melb, in which he didnt take his opportunities, and then was clearly our worst player against the bulldogs...

2 useless possies and nowhere near it all day... simply not going to take the next step... He aint a kid, thats the point everyone is missing... He is the same age as Schider, who took his opportunities and kicked 5 against melb, and back it up with a shocker against the dogs, and everyone wants his head??!!... double standards... I know who i prefer...

Outs: Ferg, L. Fisher
In: BigMac, Raph

I'd give McEvoy near enough to 100% gametime, with 30% ruck and the rest in the forward line.. Raph to play on the ball, pushing forward...

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:I know McQualter has played well at Casey. The problem with him is that he typifies our midfield problems, he's not quick enough therefore I would be putting Stevens in front of him.
How quick is Jack Steven?

spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm all for dropping the soft players, the outside runners who receive a lot of possessions, but drop off when the pressure is on -and we have a one or two too many. here goes>

B: LFisher Max Kozi
HB: SFisher Roo Blake
C: Gram Armo Goddard
HF: Hayes Ferg NDS
FF: Ball Gwilt Gards
Rux: Rix or King, McQualter, Shnieder
Bench: McEvoy, CGardiner, Miles, Rix or King (depends on King injury)

Emerg: Howard, Steven, Allen, Fiora

Milne is useless and goes, as does Montagna -both soft receivers. Hayes, Ball and NDS out of the centre where they can't string four solid quarters together, and to the forward line where they might work better. More legs in the middle and on the ball. Gwilt as the small FF with a bib bloke beside him, and the big experiment of Roo and Kozi (last chance to show you're interested mate) to the backline.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote:LTN16 - One game does not make a season - if he has turned a corner - then lets leave him in. Where would you put him - maybe in the backline again so he can be smothered

And can we all try to give positives - not negatives
He has had more than 1 good game this year.

Round 2 - 27 disposals and 1 goal.
Round 3 - 20 disposals and 1 goal.
Round 6 - 26 disposals and 1 goal.
Round 10 - 27 disposals and 1 goal.
Round 11 - 28 disposals and 2 goals.

His last two games have been his best two for the year and you say he should be dropped.. joke :roll:

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

how can people tihkn Kosi can play CHB? He is sooo unbelievably slow the CHF will take 25 marks ie Hall or even LRT would prabably take 20 uncontested marks...

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

After some thought, here's my ins and outs for the week.

In: Pace, Good Form, Team Balance
Out: Slow, Bad Form, Injury

Pace: Howard, Miles.
Slow: L. Fisher, Gwilt.

Good Form: McQualter
Bad Form: Ferguson

Injury: Koschitzke
Team Balance: Allen, King

Gram into the midfield, Howard and Geary to play the Gram role across half back. (Easiest position in the business, some may say) Miles to take 3rd tall and be our swingman ala Gilbert.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:Gram out - to be replaced by Joey - to get some more consistent run and hardness - and most ppl dont realise Joey is a great kick
Did you say Hardness?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I'm all for dropping the soft players, the outside runners who receive a lot of possessions, but drop off when the pressure is on -and we have a one or two too many. here goes>

B: LFisher Max Kozi
HB: SFisher Roo Blake
C: Gram Armo Goddard
HF: Hayes Ferg NDS
FF: Ball Gwilt Gards
Rux: Rix or King, McQualter, Shnieder
Bench: McEvoy, CGardiner, Miles, Rix or King (depends on King injury)

Emerg: Howard, Steven, Allen, Fiora

Milne is useless and goes, as does Montagna -both soft receivers. Hayes, Ball and NDS out of the centre where they can't string four solid quarters together, and to the forward line where they might work better. More legs in the middle and on the ball. Gwilt as the small FF with a bib bloke beside him, and the big experiment of Roo and Kozi (last chance to show you're interested mate) to the backline.
Lucky we have selectors to pick our side. What is this side and dont give me we arent winning so lets try something different. If thats the case maybe they should get pissed before the game.