Football Dept Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Langi
Club Player

Football Dept Review

My view is that the club undertakes a full review of all the football operations similar to that of Geelong and the Western Bulldogs and if it is found that Ross or the assistants are not doing their job then yes turf them out or alternately if Ross is doing the job then get rid of people around him who aren't.

The only way for us to move forward is to be HONEST about where we are and make some really tough decisions that might hurt alot of people and see a few people leave but if it improves us as a club then it must be done.

BUT St.kilda be warned: It must be a totally exhaustive and unbiased exercise.

And furthermore if over the next few weeks it is becoming glaringly obvious we are not going to make it then put guys in for surgery and repair work and get them ready so we can hit preseason full of running for a change ( I know we won the nab cup, but it seemingly was a mirage )

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I cant see it being unbiased or fair dinkum to be honest. It would be just a paniced face saving exercise IMO. I think HARD changes need to be made. I can suggest quite a few. I dont know if it isnt obvious enough to need a review?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Re: Football Dept Review

Langi wrote: And furthermore if over the next few weeks it is becoming glaringly obvious we are not going to make it then put guys in for surgery and repair work and get them ready so we can hit preseason full of running for a change
You mean 'tank'?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Re: Football Dept Review

SENsaintsational wrote:
Langi wrote: And furthermore if over the next few weeks it is becoming glaringly obvious we are not going to make it then put guys in for surgery and repair work and get them ready so we can hit preseason full of running for a change
You mean 'tank'?
No, dont like tanking. But dosent look like we need to even try at the moment. Im talking specifically about a number of players, and the coach quite possibly.

Certainly at the very least, the entire bunch of assistant coaches need to go.

If I had my way, RL would be closing the door behind them.

santazzi
Club Player

Interesting idea Langi............Do you know how and by whom the reviews at Geelong and the Doggies were conducted?

JeffDunne

I think we should review how we ended up with Tony Elshaug as General Manager of Football Development

That's right, the same bloke that oversaw Pagan's top-up and successful list management at Carlton.

Oh . . . and just another bloke who happens to be mates with Ross & Throbbie.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I'd be poaching the best minds at other clubs and disposing of Barker and Elshaugh.

Also, get Terry Daniher back as forward coach!

happy feet
Club Player

Matt Rendell

What ever happened t Matt Rendell - where did he end up?

JeffDunne

Adelaide.

Like all the assistants we sacked he was picked up by another club

Rather ironic too after we were told they all only had a job because they were mates of the coach - even more ironic when you look at our current setup.

happy feet
Club Player

Aclub run by apprentices

Well what do you expect - not really a solid coaching credential amongst the lot of them. No wonder we are in the state we are in. Thank you Robert Walls.

JeffDunne

Re: Aclub run by apprentices

happy feet wrote:Well what do you expect - not really a solid coaching credential amongst the lot of them. No wonder we are in the state we are in. Thank you Robert Walls.
No, you can thank Rob . . . sorry . . .Rod Butterss.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Assistant Coaches in '09.

F: Terry Daniher/Fraser Gehrig (PT)
M: Anthony Rock/Madden (Ruck, PT)
B: Danny Frawley/Nathan Burke (PT)

Out: Two guys who couldn't care less about the Saints, and one who is incompetent.

In: A guy with a proven track record with our forwards, and two guys who bleed for the saints.

Hell, even get Loewey in for some kicking practise. Coming from a guy who turned some shocking kicking for goal around to become pretty good in front of goals late in his career, he could teach Kosi, Roo, and our other forwards a thing or two.

Would love to get rid of Sexton and bring back Crippa.
Last edited by Otiman on Wed 11 Jun 2008 1:26am, edited 3 times in total.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Anthony Rock also must be improved... this football first department must overhaul this...