AFL Column

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MilneyMagic
Club Player

AFL Column

G'day.

One of my best mates writes an AFL column three times a week. He is a good writer and a very passionate saints fan.

He has writen a very good article about WHY Ross Lyon should be sacked and for what it is worth, I agree with him 100%.

Here is the link http://www.afltalk.com.au/

I'd be interested to see what people think...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cr@p.

content/style.

Tell him to sit with Caro....she might let him do a "perception" piece.

And to get another job.......fast.

“Yeah….nah””
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Thats just a summary of all the negative posts from this forum ....
Not worth reading ...just like most posts currently on the forum ...

St.Kenny
Club Player

A lot of very good points here. One that really struck me was the point he makes about our on ball brigade constantly pointing to each other and seemingly confused about who is doing what. I've only seen about 4 games this year but this is something I have also subconsciously noticed come into our game. I'd be asking the same question to Saints supporters. Is this on the increase ? Do other clubs do this ? Is it as bad as it looks ?

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Kenny 'subconsciously noticed it'

Good one Ken. We know what you mean......subconsciously..... :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

that was garbage

get back to school little man :roll:

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
MilneyMagic
Club Player

fair enough. It's easy to sit here a bag someone else for having an opinion.

Which of his points do you actually not agree with???

I think he illustrates the dire situation we are in with Lyon as coach and the sooner we git rid of him the better.

Remember how good we were to watch in 2004-06?? This list still has that potential. It is Lyon who is crippling us!!!

We need someone who will bleed for the cause...like most people on this forum do!!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

MilneyMagic wrote:fair enough. It's easy to sit here a bag someone else for having an opinion.

I think he illustrates the dire situation we are in with Lyon as coach and the sooner we git rid of him the better.

Remember how good we were to watch in 2004-06?? This list still has that potential. It is Lyon who is crippling us!!!

We need someone who will bleed for the cause...like most people on this forum do!!
in short the list thrived on confidence when we were younger...we were the hunters and being younger had the confidence to do so

now we are the hunted and have been shot down big time...

in comparison gts job is was easier than rl's...rl is trying to make us complete footballers capable of playing attacking and defensive footy...gt only had attack attack attack and when we were found out it got ugly

i know i would have preferred to have rl in the coaches box that prelim final against sydney...

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

yer wasnt really a well constructed written piece... But agree with content... needs to improve style...

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We all have to start somewhere. Writing style can be refined, and even taught.

If the passion and will to improve is there, anyone can be a Herald-Sun level journalist, it's not that difficult, you just have to ensure you have less than 20 mistakes per article. Some journos there are cutting it fine though. :D

matrix
Saintsational Legend

mehhh :|

Red
Club Player

Purile crap. The problem with the saints compared to the pies is that they

began to rebuild after 2003. We on the other hand as an organisation still

believe we can win the cup. Not just Lyon but the entire organisation.

It's apparent that has being folly. 2005 we would have 4 players in the top

20 in the comp. Today those players are still playing for us but would not

rank inside that top echelon. Football moves forward but we stand still.

Not just Lyon but everybody wants to believe we were good enough.

We were wrong.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

MilneyMagic wrote:fair enough. It's easy to sit here a bag someone else for having an opinion.

I disagree with points 1 to 15.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Hey Milney Magic.

Some posters are perhaps being a bit mean to your friend, who is - as is his right - simply having a go at expressing his points of view on the wonderful world of the www.

But I don't think that the article he wrote is going to convince anyone who doesn't already agree with the idea that Lyon must go.

Rather than catalogue all the reasons why he thinks Lyon should be sacked (some of which I found myself in agreement with, and others I didn't think were entirely fair), it would perhaps be better to start with the things that are clearly wrong at the club right now and ask whether or not Lyon is going to be able to fix them.

A good journo needs to take the reader on a journey with them through a series of facts and analytical points towards a conclusion which the reader can then choose whether or not to agree with.

Your friend's article is more like listening to someone sitting at a bar listing all the reasons why they should never have let themselves be charmed by that lying scumbag.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
fingers
Saintsational Legend

would have been nice to see a balanced article making an argument rather than a regurgitation of baseless "facts"

Saints43
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:i know i would have preferred to have rl in the coaches box that prelim final against sydney...
We wouldn't have been in a prelim final.

How do you think he'll go in the finals this year? Better than last year? Or did the hunting list change too much to make that possible between September 2005 and 2007?

Perhaps we're are too 'bomby'.

When Ball, Hayes, Dal Santo and Montagna all finish high in our B&F (and they will) these will be the same players that Ross says he can't keep going back to?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: i know i would have preferred to have rl in the coaches box that prelim final against sydney...
unbelievable :shock:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

MilneyMagic,

I assume he's still in high school?

If he wants to become a journalist, he should go an do some work experience at a local paper, and they'll help him to write correctly.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:If he wants to become a journalist, he should go an do some work experience at a local paper, and they'll help him to write correctly.
I would hope that the high school teachers would be doing that.

Surely the education system isn't that bad?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
evertonfc wrote:If he wants to become a journalist, he should go an do some work experience at a local paper, and they'll help him to write correctly.

Are you kidding?

Have a look at the way young posters write these days.
rixxo wrote:So its now time when the seasons is pretty much over and its time to think of next year why not try to coax cousins into playin for us .No offence but harves has been our best player for umpteen years and as i watched the game at the dome today when he finally calls it quits we need cousins in the middle .Also i think king and m. Gardiner are keepers keep them in to play out their careers at St.Kilda , get rid of Roo ,Kosi ,L fisher, both Clarks and get some new Blood in the team ,And keeping lyon for 10 years what a joke .
I think it will be a great era to be a capitalist.

A lot of these people can't write (or think?), and will probably end up working in factories or in manual labour jobs, etc.

When I went to school, you were taught the basics of English. Now, we don't always get it right, but if you look at the above slab of text, how can you have faith in our current system?

osama milne laden
Club Player

<<<I'd be interested to see what people think...

>>>>3. St.Kilda has not won a match away from Telstra Dome since round twelve last season. In the past two seasons they have won only two matches away from the Dome.

tell him to get someone to verify his facts next time

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Otiman wrote:

Are you kidding?

Have a look at the way young posters write these days.
rixxo wrote:So its now time when the seasons is pretty much over and its time to think of next year why not try to coax cousins into playin for us .No offence but harves has been our best player for umpteen years and as i watched the game at the dome today when he finally calls it quits we need cousins in the middle .Also i think king and m. Gardiner are keepers keep them in to play out their careers at St.Kilda , get rid of Roo ,Kosi ,L fisher, both Clarks and get some new Blood in the team ,And keeping lyon for 10 years what a joke .
I think it will be a great era to be a capitalist.

A lot of these people can't write (or think?), and will probably end up working in factories or in manual labour jobs, etc.

When I went to school, you were taught the basics of English. Now, we don't always get it right, but if you look at the above slab of text, how can you have faith in our current system?
not to really get into the debate of the teaching system...however the majority of teachers were the so called 'deadshits' at school who only enrolled in teaching as it was seen as easy money after acheiving poor grades at school

i say majority and apologize in advance to any teachers out there

its a disgrace that a child can type out that illogical jargon as above

degruch
Saintsational Legend

osama milne laden wrote:<<<I'd be interested to see what people think...

>>>>3. St.Kilda has not won a match away from Telstra Dome since round twelve last season. In the past two seasons they have won only two matches away from the Dome.

tell him to get someone to verify his facts next time
:shock: Cough splutter! I totally agree...I'm sorry, but that report is the most baseless pile of heresay bollocks I've seen for a long time. Gotta start with the facts first.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
not to really get into the debate of the teaching system...however the majority of teachers were the so called 'deadshits' at school who only enrolled in teaching as it was seen as easy money after acheiving poor grades at school

If you really believe this SP2008 then you're more gullible to bashing any group that might be perceived as remotely left wing than I thought. Do you work in a school? How the f*** would you know what the majority of teachers are like?
I'm currently working in a school with 90 teachers on staff, all of whom have a teaching degree and 40+ of them have honours, masters or doctorate degrees. Not bad for a bunch of deadshits. They work their tits off in an under-resourced environment, coping with all kinds of pressures that you don't have a clue about until you see them working at close quarters. You're fair dinkum clueless.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:not to really get into the debate of the teaching system...however the majority of teachers were the so called 'deadshits' at school who only enrolled in teaching as it was seen as easy money after acheiving poor grades at school

To be fair, SP2008, your posts aren't exactly an example of brilliant English ;)

And in defence of teachers, I was probably a bit harsh before. We need to support teachers and empower them to teach our next generation to the best of their abilities.

We should raise pay and raise standards for teaching in this country. It should be tougher to get into, but more rewarding when you do.