Our history of trading stars

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
degruch wrote:Sobraz wrote:
On a side note, Russell Green was traded, and did not 'leave'.. He turned up to training and was told, Rus, tonight your training with Hawthorn...

Greene claimed he was offered a great deal by the Hawks and fronted up for them week after he left the Saints. Well, at least that's what he said in an interview a few years back.
He was sacked. I met him at a party and he said so. He's a great bloke too. Bummer.
Fine. Like I said, he might have been talking it up for the camera's...you know...'I dumped them, they didn't dump me' style. But, I'm repeating the very words that came out of his mouth.

As for the other points...dunno about Stewart, so I can't be wrong there. All the others, I was 100% correct about and anyone who says otherwise is not only obviously an opposition troll, but also un-Australian and a Communist Al Quada sympathiser who is full of s***.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
suss wrote:
On a side note, Russell Green was traded, and did not 'leave'.. He turned up to training and was told, Rus, tonight your training with Hawthorn...

Greene claimed he was offered a great deal by the Hawks and fronted up for them week after he left the Saints. Well, at least that's what he said in an interview a few years back.
He was sacked. I met him at a party and he said so. He's a great bloke too. Bummer.
Fine. Like I said, he might have been talking it up for the camera's...you know...'I dumped them, they didn't dump me' style. But, I'm repeating the very words that came out of his mouth.

As for the other points...dunno about Stewart, so I can't be wrong there. All the others, I was 100% correct about and anyone who says otherwise is not only obviously an opposition troll, but also un-Australian and a Communist Al Quada sympathiser who is full of s***.

..... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...sure smith was delisted.....have it your way..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
suss wrote:

..... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...sure smith was delisted.....have it your way..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:
You're lucky...I had my finger hovering over '000'! :D

To the top
SS Life Member

Does anyone recall anything Alves said about Smith leaving?

I'm pretty sure he said something.

BallBanger
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Not incorrect, straight from the horses mouth.
St Bev, if you know the man then you would know his sister had a knee recontruction also and that he was a lifetime Hawk fan.

We did offer him a contract but could not commit to long term because of doctors advice....apparently knee as bad as it gets (alah road trauma)

BallBanger
Club Player

Re: Our history of trading stars

stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:[

Dunno the history of Stewart leaving the club.

Greene left.

your joking aren't you...both were traded against their wishes...at a time such trades were rare indeed...greene trained at the saints on the thursday night and was told to clean out his locker and report to poo oval.....

...we have lost big time on all our top trades......
Erm...not sure you swiped the right quote there.

As I've said before, dunno nothin' about Stewart. Didn't know anything about Greene until I saw an interview with him on TV claiming he was offered a great deal when approached by surprise by the Hawks. Then a trade was done that week. He was pretty flippant about it, and may have just been talking it up for the cameras, as most here seem to think he was traded against his wishes (various versions of events).

So...nah mate...I'm not joking. Got anything else for me?

you are wrong...and you are right......sure they offered him a deal.AFTER HE LANDED ON THEIR DOORSTOP......but players were not traded mid season then...and could not be approached....he was told to pack his bags....in return we got two hacks...king and scott........both very ordinary footballers.....

he was actually named in the saints team that weekend......when the tweam ran out there were two strangers in saints colours......

i remermber it as if it was yesterday......

as you would if ball suddenly turned out for carlton ...and two very average scummers ran out in saints colours this weekend....

i got the right quote alright...and the bulk of your post was crap anyway......smith was not delisted ffs..... :roll: :roll:

the club wanted to get rid of stewart for reasons i will not go into......barrot played two games for the saints ffs...we could have got barrott and kept stewart.....

...and for the record...at the time of the swap the saints secretary was a regular house guest of my parents when visiting launceston ......i clearly remember the event.....
Sorry mate...you're full of s***. I heard it from the man himself, and your source is?

my memory......i know who is full of s***....you are mate.....you know nothing about the history of our club....sure, what greene said as probably correct...but so is what the rest of us are saying....the club did a deal with the dawks to trade him for two clowns.....then the dawks had to convince greene to turn out with them...what;s so difficult for you to understand.....?????
PLAYER PROFILE

GREENE, RUSSELL (STK. AND HAW.)
Number: St.K No. 29. Hqw. No. 29.
Game History: St Kilda 1974-80, 120 games, 52 goals. Hawthorn 1980-88 184 games, 82 goals.
Born: 30 May 1957
Height: 185 cms
Weight: 79.5 kgs
Details:
Ex-Frankston Peninsula. Made his debut at only 16 years of age and soon showed that he was a player of great ability. Despite a couple of serious knee problems he was a good player on the wing and ruck roving for St Kilda and made the state number two side against Tasmania in 1978.
The popular misconception that he was not a good player until the overnight deal that took him to Hawthorn is not correct. The move did make him a more disciplined footballer and in time he became one of the game's most respected players due to his non-stop running capacity. He captained the Victorian team, won the best and fairest in 1984, and played in six grand finals, including the 1983, 1986 and 1988 flags.
In many ways he was the 80s footballer. The tale of his transfer to Hawthorn as a swap for Mark Scott and Tony King was often used to highlight the callousness of football clubs. Chosen in the St Kilda team on Thursday, he was told of the clearance the following night and told to report to VFL Park for the Hawks.
His friend Steven Icke spotted him in the car park and thought he was at the wrong game!

Lets move on

Shaggy
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Shaggy wrote:Jezza for Woofa Perovic. :shock: :evil:

DIDN'T HAPPEN....
Same effect.

Perovic wanted to stay with us, he just didn't want to move to Melbourne.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our history of trading stars

BallBanger wrote:
stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:
degruch wrote:[

Dunno the history of Stewart leaving the club.

Greene left.

your joking aren't you...both were traded against their wishes...at a time such trades were rare indeed...greene trained at the saints on the thursday night and was told to clean out his locker and report to poo oval.....

...we have lost big time on all our top trades......
Erm...not sure you swiped the right quote there.

As I've said before, dunno nothin' about Stewart. Didn't know anything about Greene until I saw an interview with him on TV claiming he was offered a great deal when approached by surprise by the Hawks. Then a trade was done that week. He was pretty flippant about it, and may have just been talking it up for the cameras, as most here seem to think he was traded against his wishes (various versions of events).

So...nah mate...I'm not joking. Got anything else for me?

you are wrong...and you are right......sure they offered him a deal.AFTER HE LANDED ON THEIR DOORSTOP......but players were not traded mid season then...and could not be approached....he was told to pack his bags....in return we got two hacks...king and scott........both very ordinary footballers.....

he was actually named in the saints team that weekend......when the tweam ran out there were two strangers in saints colours......

i remermber it as if it was yesterday......

as you would if ball suddenly turned out for carlton ...and two very average scummers ran out in saints colours this weekend....

i got the right quote alright...and the bulk of your post was crap anyway......smith was not delisted ffs..... :roll: :roll:

the club wanted to get rid of stewart for reasons i will not go into......barrot played two games for the saints ffs...we could have got barrott and kept stewart.....

...and for the record...at the time of the swap the saints secretary was a regular house guest of my parents when visiting launceston ......i clearly remember the event.....
Sorry mate...you're full of s***. I heard it from the man himself, and your source is?

my memory......i know who is full of s***....you are mate.....you know nothing about the history of our club....sure, what greene said as probably correct...but so is what the rest of us are saying....the club did a deal with the dawks to trade him for two clowns.....then the dawks had to convince greene to turn out with them...what;s so difficult for you to understand.....?????
PLAYER PROFILE

GREENE, RUSSELL (STK. AND HAW.)
Number: St.K No. 29. Hqw. No. 29.
Game History: St Kilda 1974-80, 120 games, 52 goals. Hawthorn 1980-88 184 games, 82 goals.
Born: 30 May 1957
Height: 185 cms
Weight: 79.5 kgs
Details:
Ex-Frankston Peninsula. Made his debut at only 16 years of age and soon showed that he was a player of great ability. Despite a couple of serious knee problems he was a good player on the wing and ruck roving for St Kilda and made the state number two side against Tasmania in 1978.
The popular misconception that he was not a good player until the overnight deal that took him to Hawthorn is not correct. The move did make him a more disciplined footballer and in time he became one of the game's most respected players due to his non-stop running capacity. He captained the Victorian team, won the best and fairest in 1984, and played in six grand finals, including the 1983, 1986 and 1988 flags.
In many ways he was the 80s footballer. The tale of his transfer to Hawthorn as a swap for Mark Scott and Tony King was often used to highlight the callousness of football clubs. Chosen in the St Kilda team on Thursday, he was told of the clearance the following night and told to report to VFL Park for the Hawks.
His friend Steven Icke spotted him in the car park and thought he was at the wrong game!

Lets move on
Haha! That's a classic.

At least someone, other than me, could produce some evidence. I looked for ages, despite knowing what Greene had said. Cleared up.

Don't know anything about the history of 'our' club, bahahahaha...I could write a freakin' book on it, as could most people on this forum.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

That's 3 on this post that heard it from him ( Smith ) directly so either he's lied to everyone , these 3 people are lying or it's true unless I've missed another option and all the talk and publicity back then was the same I remember it well.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Seems to me after reading through 4 solid pages of debate that we pretty much have lost out on most occasions when trading... Some are now seen as massive mistakes in hindsight..

So many examples that have come back to bite us... Surely this is evidence that we should stick fat with Kosi and back him through this tough time... clearly he is the player on everyones lips at the moment (and in the gun, for some)...

Better the devil you know in this respect...

longtimesaint
Club Player

We should definately keep Kosi and all our established players.
We know that Kosi has the ability to be a matchwinner, and all you would get would be a second round pick.
Many players draftedin the 20's never really make it -why would you trade an established player for a maybe?

One year will be our year
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:We should definately keep Kosi and all our established players.
We know that Kosi has the ability to be a matchwinner, and all you would get would be a second round pick.
Many players draftedin the 20's never really make it -why would you trade an established player for a maybe?
Couldn't agree more !!! We cannot judge on current form if we were going to they may as well all go . Getting rid of good players that are down on confidence at the moment would be mad and they would punish us by their form returning in another club .

mcadam05
Club Player

I cant understand all this talk about Joel Smith he had 1 good yr at Hawthorn out of what 8!! thats a piss poor return for a guy who was offered a huge amount of money too leave stk
Whats great about this club or the media would have you believe is we are the only ones that sack good coahes get rid of good players and have had more first rd draft picks then any other club and as for Lockett what it would of cost the club too hold him we would of lost loewe too fremantle the follwing yr and more then likely have lost burke too

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

It is quite a list - may as well add
Duperouzal
Winmar - demeaning to player and club to get rid of one of our best for his last year.
Besanko
Perovic - Carlton, may well be the worst of the lot.

A good coach and competent admin would have got more out of Lockett, Hall, Everitt, Black etc.. Not let them walk! It always burnt us and always will.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:It is quite a list - may as well add
Duperouzal
Winmar - demeaning to player and club to get rid of one of our best for his last year.
Besanko

A good coach and competent admin would have got more out of Lockett, Hall, Everitt, Black etc.. Not let them walk! It always burnt us and always will.
But Winmar went out punching just about everyone on the ground in his last game...including his team-mates! Clearly frustrated, you can't keep guys like that on your list, especially at his age. He wasn't really a trade subject.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Duperouzal
Besanko

But Winmar went out punching just about everyone on the ground in his last game...including his team-mates! Clearly frustrated, you can't keep guys like that on your list, especially at his age. He wasn't really a trade subject.
Huh ?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
degruch wrote:
Duperouzal
Besanko

Huh ?
Huh what? You don't agree that Nicky looked fed up with either the club, footy, or life in general during his last year? He looked to me like he was on the angry pills big time. Disagree if ya like...but I vividly remember it being a concern.

Of course, it doesn't have much to do with the OP, but sometimes I believe, when there is no stopping a player leaving, a club can get caught with it's pants down...emotional can be a key contributor. E.g. I'm sure Brissy got nothing out of Gilbert McAdam leaving the club.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
degruch wrote:
Duperouzal
Besanko

Huh ?
Huh what? You don't agree that Nicky looked fed up with either the club, footy, or life in general during his last year? He looked to me like he was on the angry pills big time. Disagree if ya like...but I vividly remember it being a concern.

Of course, it doesn't have much to do with the OP, but sometimes I believe, when there is no stopping a player leaving, a club can get caught with it's pants down...emotional can be a key contributor. E.g. I'm sure Brissy got nothing out of Gilbert McAdam leaving the club.
Yeah but your talking about the days when everyone had a gut full and the club got a lack of respect it in someways deserved ie players controlled the club , lack of discipline etc .

It was OK from the start to accept his and Locketts undisciplined ways for years when they were starring winning games and drawing crowds and desperately talked him out of leaving for a lot more money and stayed and at the end of his career when the best was behind him decided they'd had enough and discard him and demoralised a club champion at the end of his career ?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Joel Smith....

Joel Smith was going to be the best player in the comp before he did that knee. Watch that 1997 Highlight DVD.....The first half of it is the Joel Smith Highlight reel.

He was going to be an absolute superstar. I would go as far as to say that if he was fit, we would have won the flag with him on a HFF....Seriously. Having Spider in the side would have helped too....lol

I was of the understanding that Smith was offered a lot more money and time frame from the Hawks. Also that we were more than prepared to wait for him to heal. Just that the club had issues paying a 20yo 200k a year to sit around playing xbox. I dont care either way. We should have held onto him. Was never the same player though. He could turn on a 5c piece and kick 55 off one step that kid.

I was devistated when Plugger left. The AFL took care of that trade. Made him a freaking poster boy. He WAS bigger than the club. The move was the best thing for him AND us. Our world revolved around him. As did Sydney's when he was there.

Hall was a cabbage when he played for us. Dead set moron thug. Which is how he should be remembered. His recent actions just highlight the fact.

Spider was a **** idiot. Glad to see the back of the tool. One of the better decisions. Hope he stands in another pot hole in Sydney.

What about Craig O'brien....our freaking one man forward line when Plugger bailed.....Then sydney freaking nick him as well!!! WTF was with that.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
supersaints
Club Player

Ian Stewart was an out and out champion , he was swapped for Barrot after being caught driving in a woman's dress, drunk , ( whilst making a right hand turn at the corner of Flinders and Swanson street in his car). The copper on point duty put his arm in the window to turn off the ignition, Stewart took off and dragged the copper down the street for a few meters. Our coach was a well respected policeman (Jeans) - the swap was done. Barrot was a very good player but well passed his prime when we swapped.

Russell green was a good player, but the worst kick in the league by a long long way, probably the turnover king in his day, could not kick over a jam tin, but I loved to watch him go in and get the ball
His game improved at Hawthorn by natural progress and the use of handball at every opportunity, it took him about two years after he left us before he learned to kick adequately

Plugger was a champ, we will never see anyone like him, I used to wish he had one tenth of Lowes dedication to training etc. Sadly plugger was undisciplined and got away with murder, In those days the bottom clubs best players were always targeted by the rich clubs, (with brown paper bags), teams like us could not afford him. He was offered zillions to leave every year, mainly by Collingwood Carlton, and Richmond, his move was always going to happen, and we got a reasonable deal out of it.

Barry Hall, sadly is a couple of tadpoles short of a swamp, he will king hi another player before long, just can't help himself

Spider is a mercenary, with sub standard morals, an expert at fleecing money from family and players alike, always leaves the clubs with a bitter taste (don't buy a raffle ticket from this man) Sadly he was a great ruckman and we will do well to get someone of his caliber again.

Joel Smith, the medicos at the club and a specialist were of the opinion Joel would not play fro at least two or three years if at all, don't know the details of the Hawks trade, but personally I was happy to see him do as well as he did

Matty lappin, Drinking problem, for all his career, could not keep him away from all our young players.. very talented but not sorry to see him go

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
ThePunter
Club Player

Joel Smith was going to be All-Australian in 1997 before he injured his knee, but the position when to Aussie Jones, who wasn't as good as Smith.

The Hall trade was fine because we got Dal Santo, but the Everitt trade never worked out because we got Brooks and Ferguson in return.