Saints Memorabilia

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints Memorabilia

Guys,

Just some memorabilia questions to cheer things up a bit.

Does anyone remember, during the early 1980's Ardmona ran a competition where you collected X number of wrappers from Ardmona peach cans, sent them away and got a card set of your favuorite team's full list? I got the full 1981 team, but does anyone remember if they continued the promotion?

They were excellent cards, with player stats, their profession, hobbies and advice on the back. I remember one player (Mark Fielder?, I think it was) was listed as a bricklayer, who's only hobby was football, his advice to young kids was 'work hard'. Hehe. I've still got mine!

Another piece of trivia, in about 1980 the Sun ran a promo where you could ring a phone number (listed in their paper) and chat to your favourite VFL footballer (one rep from each club). Does anyone remember it? Vin Catogio was Carlton's rep, Rene Kink was Collingwood's, does anyone remember who St Kilda's rep was? Did anyone speak to them?

robbie muir
Club Player

i have the same cards from 1981. The guy you are referring to as the bricklayer is in fact Geoff Fidler who wore number 36.

He now works in a fresh seafood place in Centre rd. Bentleigh

degruch
Saintsational Legend

robbie muir wrote:i have the same cards from 1981. The guy you are referring to as the bricklayer is in fact Geoff Fidler who wore number 36.

That's him! I laughed and thought how lucky he was that footy was his only hobby. I ran into Milan Faletic years later and asked him to sign my Ardmona card of him, but he was too embarrassed! Now I know where to find Geoff...Dean Herbert was another that popped up in another thread as still kicking around, selling cars in Ringwood.

I did a bit of research after I posted this thread, and found that Ardmona did do a second series in 1982. I ate a lot of peaches to get those babies.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

robbie muir wrote:i have the same cards from 1981. The guy you are referring to as the bricklayer is in fact Geoff Fidler who wore number 36.

Is that the seafood place in that lil Centro market up the western end of Centre Rd shops?

Hope so..its great seafood and I go there semi-regularly :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

I used to sell seafood to Darth Vader Every saturday .

mcadam05
Club Player

there is 2 sets of cards 1981 and 82

1981 has 33 cards 31players and 2 history
1982 has 18 cards 18 players

saint-stevos

get in contact with me i would love to talk merchandise

dating back from the 40's to now

ross will be no great loss

nor will our board!!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I have three prized pieces:

1. A training T-shirt worn by Trevor Barker - signed by the team after his untimely passing (Providence guaranteed)

2. All three certificates issued by the club for being at the record breaking games (Breen, Leowe and Burke) (still waiting for them to do the great mans)

3. Signed and framed cards from the 85/86 season 40 cards, 36 autographs including Barker, Lockett, Joffa, Sidey etc

My son (Sainter_Boy) now collects and frames all Team Coach cards (Gold, Silver, Common and Blue) with his membership card from each year starting from 2006.

He is also building a collection of Harvey memorabilia - He was in the guard of honour for Haves 350+1 and has a tonne of stuff to be framed - wants to do a frame with a football in it of Harvey!