One Positive!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NoMore
Club Player

One Positive!

All i ask for is 1 undisputed positive to do with Ross Lyon being coach.

And you can't bring GT into the debate and playing the kids now is not it either.

Oh and no Rod Butterrs

Thanks

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Great idea..thanks for starting a thread on RL's coaching...no-ones done it up until now :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
NoMore
Club Player

but in every thread so far they just get lost in the GT vs RL debate i don't want that.

No mention of GT would be good

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

I’ll give you a few

1. Got us a pre season premiership in 12 months ( I know some people think big deal but it’s a positive)

2 Club is showing it’s willing to be less fickle and more sensible than some of our supporters and not panic and stand by him a bit longer than 1 and a half seasons.

3. Has the support of the players

4. Not as stupid as some of us think and knows more about coaching than the supporters and is aware of obvious issues that they think he can't see.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Wed 18 Jun 2008 12:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoMore
Club Player

1. No one even wants to win pre season premierships

2. That is a positive/negative of the board depending on where u stand on Ross

3. Show me some proof the players support him. From what i have watch and heard the players hate him

4. You have no proof of this. You have made this up out of thin air

degruch
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:1. No one even wants to win pre season premierships

3. Show me some proof the players support him. From what i have watch and heard the players hate him

...and we thought you wanted a positive thread.

Another boring RL basher.

NoMore
Club Player

no i just want something factual and positive about him

the pre season premiership is a positive.

But i'm not sure it is worth much to be honest.

The rest are not positive they r made up

degruch
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:no i just want something factual and positive about him

the pre season premiership is a positive.

But i'm not sure it is worth much to be honest.

The rest are not positive they r made up
Yeah, I get your point...but saying 'no-one wants to win the pre-season premiership' is also made up. As you've now pointed out, it doesn't mean that much to some people...but to me it looked like a functioning team, going hard at it to me. That was the positive I took out of the NAB Cup. Too bad that form seems to have vanished.

As for support of the players...I can't remember anyone saying words to that effect, but I know recent press from Lenny and Luke Ball hasn't criticised him (not that they would) and mention the fact that (as we know) the players need to work harder at it.

Here's a positive...for whatever reason, we're getting some new kids on the park this year. We've found Armo's got some toe, hoping we'll find big Mac and Howard are the goods soon too.

NoMore
Club Player

The kids are a positive but don't u think that would have been a positive under any coach.

The team did work well in the nab cup and then he went and changed it all around

It had a nice balance of youth and experience and played fast attacking footy

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

NoMore wrote:1. No one even wants to win pre season premierships

So some supporters know more about coaching than RL wow better get your CV down to the club quick and save us . Or if you meant about him being aware of issues it's common sense that he can see what we see, he may not be reacting the way we want but he has eyes and ears when it's everywhere about not playing Armo, and forward issues etc.

And yeah no one wants to win preseason grand finals I suppose you hired a movie from Blockbuster that night ?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:The kids are a positive but don't u think that would have been a positive under any coach.
Yeah, true. But (sorry) did GT blood many newbies, or were they all Blight/Watson recruits? I'd prefer to look on it as a positive for Ross, plus he has everyone's backing to do so.
NoMore wrote:The team did work well in the nab cup and then he went and changed it all around.
The first couple of games were pretty much the same team, and more experienced players were injected as we went along...some because history suggested they were a stronger inclusion and a benefit to the side, some because of injury. Charlie Gardiner was great in the NAB, but then went completely off the boil, so he was replaced. G-Train's gone, Gilbert, X, Maguire and Bakes popped in and out, now the side's unsettled and top players are down on form. Not all the coaches fault.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

We'll get a top ten draft pick two years running?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
NoMore
Club Player

degruch wrote:
NoMore wrote:The kids are a positive but don't u think that would have been a positive under any coach.
Yeah, true. But (sorry) did GT blood many newbies, or were they all Blight/Watson recruits? I'd prefer to look on it as a positive for Ross, plus he has everyone's backing to do so.
NoMore wrote:The team did work well in the nab cup and then he went and changed it all around.
The first couple of games were pretty much the same team, and more experienced players were injected as we went along...some because history suggested they were a stronger inclusion and a benefit to the side, some because of injury. Charlie Gardiner was great in the NAB, but then went completely off the boil, so he was replaced. G-Train's gone, Gilbert, X, Maguire and Bakes popped in and out, now the side's unsettled and top players are down on form. Not all the coaches fault.
I think u will find that S Fisher, Ball, Dal, Joey the list goes on. But i don't want to get into the RL vs GT slanging match because it achieves nothing.

And i never said i know more about coaching than Ross but then again i am not payed to do it. If Ross has full support of the players why do they look so miserable

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yeah -good point, if the playing group and the coach are in full support of each other, then the body language says otherwise.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I dunno, the team's body language would suggest that they're not happy about losing a lot. Cause or effect? As far as their demeanour, the wheels started falling off earlier this season when players began potting eachother on the field (Max v's Maguire being the most obvious case), which seems to suggest a lack of on-field leadership to me. But, it's all conjecture...what does it really mean, the team have a lack of respect for eachother, or they have a lack of respect for the coach?

I'm not interested in GT v's RL either...I was surprised as anyone that he was sacked, and disappointed. Sure he had his negatives (can't be bothered going into them), he had some obvious positives too. He had a very good list right through his tenure, and there was a lot less risk involved in debuting #1 and #2 draft picks than guys who've come through the 2's, like Ross is being forced to. It's good to see some 'roughies' coming good.

NoMore
Club Player

So have we come up with a positive yet. An absolute iron clad positive

degruch
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:So have we come up with a positive yet. An absolute iron clad positive
NAB Cup. Winning $350k can't be a bad thing!

St_Cave
Club Player

Yes this is a positive but is it truly a positive for Ross? I would have thought the major lack in quality opposition throughout the pre-season cup would be more to do with why we were so successful.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

St_Cave wrote:
Yes this is a positive but is it truly a positive for Ross? I would have thought the major lack in quality opposition throughout the pre-season cup would be more to do with why we were so successful.
Yeah, why not? Everyone fielded kids, including us. We played Geelong when they were down 5-6 key players, as were we. It was close, and we won, playing them at their own game. There was no reason why our form couldn't have continued, but it didn't. Maybe the players thought they'd done enough to cruise through the year and make the finals just by winning the pre-season cup!?!

NoMore
Club Player

If you watched the NAB cup and then watched round 1 you would have found it hard to believe these 2 teams were the same.

In the NAB cup they played fast exciting play on football and then in round 1 they play stop start s***.

If that is not a directive from the coach what is

Saint Mik
Club Player

I have one, He wont be scared to have a clean out at the end of the year and build a team capable of getting the job done, instead of relying on a bunch of over paid sooks that still feed off GT's man boobs.

He will get the best out of this club in time and needs to be given a chance.

No one around here wants to place any responsiblity on our players but I do think it is them and not the coach, they ARE soft as our coach has said they ARE over rated and they ARE hanging by a thread the way I see it and a GOOD coach will make changes instead of playing the same group for to long, expecting to much as we all have since 2004.

People forgett how good we look when we are playing well the problem is the players are not up to getting the job done for the full 4 Q's of the game, that is not the coach but the player and we have plenty that are not getting the job done end of story.

The one positive will be to watch the coach make the changes to our list at the end of the year that are needed instead of calling them up for a beer down at the local and patting them on the back and pumping them up to be what they are not.

Sorry still a little bit of GT in there GEEZ its hard not to mention the money man, OH shyte there goes RB's as well.
:shock:
Last edited by Saint Mik on Wed 18 Jun 2008 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
degruch
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:If you watched the NAB cup and then watched round 1 you would have found it hard to believe these 2 teams were the same.

In the NAB cup they played fast exciting play on football and then in round 1 they play stop start s***.

Yeah, but they don't play stop start s*** consistantly, do they? Quarter 1, Round 1 v Sydney, Quarter 1, Round 3 v Bulldogs, Quarter 1 Round ? v Geelong, Quarter 1 & 4 Round 10 v Brisbane...can you explain it? Doesn't look like RL can either. But now we're back to negatives. No matter which way you look at it, the NAB Cup was a big positive in favour of RL, but is looking like a rod for his back right now.

NoMore
Club Player

degruch wrote:
NoMore wrote:If you watched the NAB cup and then watched round 1 you would have found it hard to believe these 2 teams were the same.

Yeah, but they don't play stop start s*** consistantly, do they? Quarter 1, Round 1 v Sydney, Quarter 1, Round 3 v Bulldogs, Quarter 1 Round ? v Geelong, Quarter 1 & 4 Round 10 v Brisbane...can you explain it? Doesn't look like RL can either. But now we're back to negatives. No matter which way you look at it, the NAB Cup was a big positive in favour of RL, but is looking like a rod for his back right now.
It is a good point about those quarters. However they only make Ross more likely to be in trouble as we can see how well they can play but he can't get consistency out of them for 4 quarters which sort of means he may be in trouble.

As for the above point about the clean out. I'm sure he will have a big clean out.

Even if he gets rid of Fiora, Gwilt, R Clarke, Dempster, Schnieder,
We are going to be waiting for years to replace these players.

This clubb is heading for a major rebuild now. We need a father figure coach. Not a boring tactician

bob__71
Club Player

Can a mod explain why this trolls threads dont get locked?

Ray Broughton
Club Player

NoMore wrote:
degruch wrote:

It is a good point about those quarters. However they only make Ross more likely to be in trouble as we can see how well they can play but he can't get consistency out of them for 4 quarters which sort of means he may be in trouble.

As for the above point about the clean out. I'm sure he will have a big clean out.

Even if he gets rid of Fiora, Gwilt, R Clarke, Dempster, Schnieder,
We are going to be waiting for years to replace these players.

This clubb is heading for a major rebuild now. We need a father figure coach. Not a boring tactician
You're a flog

What a load s..t, you asked for positives just so you could shoot them down and blame everything from warm gatorade at training to lost games on RL.

"nooone wants to win NAB cups?" Pretty sure every club in the AFL would love 350k in the kick, some more than others.

How can consistency purely be his fault? I wouldve thought unless he makes drastic moves it relies solely on the players, not the coach ffs. Have you ever played a game of footy? Fade outs are NOT the coaches fault. Hopeless shortfalls in the players endeavour are NOT the coaches fault, even if you hate the coach, cant get along with him, dont agree yadda yadda you still do your utmost to win for your team, esp when its your JOB.

You keep saying but we played so well in the NAB cup, then saying they dont mean anything, a little INCONSISTENT yourself don't you think?

Oh and in case youve forgotten when we played well in the NAB, RL was in charge then and had been for 12 months.

It'll take years to replace players? Well RL should apologise as plenty of other coaches are able to turn a list around quicker.

Rant to Troll over

Ray Broughton
~Fish Catcher and Saints Barracker~
"When I'm not watching saints, I'm catchin barra wearing my saints scarf in the 35 degree heat - that's the kinda fan I am"...