For the discerning Saint

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:No, no and no.

If your wife was out of a job and you were struggling for cash, would you turn her to prostitution because it makes economic sense?
What if she'd been prostituting for the past couple of years, but you were just too in love to see it?
Thanks for that belly laugh Rodger :wink: ...spilling red wine everywhere but I feel better now :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

happyfeet wrote:
One of the main reasons that the Swans were able to survive in Sydney was that in 1996 the rugby league/super league war turned people away from rugby league in droves.

Very good comment. I feel the same happened up here in QLD. I know a lot of people started opening their eyes to other sports due to their frustration with thugby league in those super league years. They may not all have stuck with their two year choices but a percentage of them certainly did.

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Reported as recently as todays Herald Sun, the Queensland government is insisting the new franchise team will have to play all their home games at the Gabba to 2015. There is no money to build a new stadium as all the money has been blown on the gabba redevelopment and the new titans stadium.

The AFL gold coast venture is a shambles. It's only going ahead as the AFL has bucket loads of cash to throw and waste on it. The only money to be made are the AFL handouts.

The AFLl will be happy to get 12,000 fans turning up at the gabba for gold coast games, so then why can't the existing clubs stay put here in Melbourne who all get way past that figure. Why does the number of victorian teams have to be culled?
India and china have great big populations, (has the gold coast reached 1.2 billion people yet?) so why not stick an AFL club in those countries, or are they not interested.
Which coincidently enough, the gold coast folk aint interested either, just one game so far and the true attendance was 4000, nearly all interstate travellers and not locals.

Any club that relocates away from their home city ceases to exist, it becomes a brand new different club, When will people realize your club has ended up the same way as if it folded, if it relocates. So why not fight. No surrrender to Derimetriou

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:How long did it take to write that rubbish. I just wasted 3 minutes of my life I will not get back but you must have wasted a couple of hours. Now stop smoking that stuff and have a good nights sleep and re read what you wrote tomorrow when you are straight and then write an apology for wasting all our time.

Have a good nights sleep.
Sorry I didn't intend it for you.

It was only meant for those supporters who are open minded enough to see that whatever the Saints have been doing for the last 150 years isn't working.

You can go back to sleep now and relive the 66 grand final over and over again

Another opportunity awaits!
Baldock Rules
Club Player

As mentioned Moccha it took guts to post this proposal.

Personally I would like to see the saints remain in Victoria but given the expansion being muted in 2 years it should at least be considered.

Would love to the Tassie Saints with any relocation but that is not being made possible by the current administration.

There are freaks and freaks and Baldock was both of those.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

good post mocca...original thought

one major issue remains...too many 'mitchell types' and 'drummond types' are there in the team...for us to achieve that would be a miracle as draft mistakes always occur with players not coming on for a variety of reasons

too much reliance on drafts have gone into your thinking to do with the gold coast saints

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Lets just face some facts here, there are teams that are meant to be successfull and the Saints aint it.

We were given Roo Kosi Hamill and Gehrig on a platter and for one reason or another we manage to stuff it up.

We had our chance and didnt take it in 04/05 and maybe 06, we also had our chance in 97 and same thing. Its just not meant to be with us, so move or stay the result will be the same :cry:

Before Im 85
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:No, no and no.

If your wife was out of a job and you were struggling for cash, would you turn her to prostitution because it makes economic sense?
What if she'd been prostituting for the past couple of years, but you were just too in love to see it?
A few years ago when I was a married man, we were struggling so I put her "out to work".

I dropped her off in Fitzroy Street and picked her up a couple of hours later in Acland Street.

She handed over $50.10 for her nights work, and my obvious question was "who's the lousy bastard who paid you ten cents?"

Exhausted, she looked up at me and said "they all did."

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Baldock Rules wrote:As mentioned Moccha it took guts to post this proposal.

Personally I would like to see the saints remain in Victoria but given the expansion being muted in 2 years it should at least be considered.

Would love to the Tassie Saints with any relocation but that is not being made possible by the current administration.
It took no guts at all. He is behind a computer. No one probably even knows who he is. If I write I hope the Saints fold and then give some reasons does that take guts. No because no one knows me.

The post was rubbish on 2 fronts. Us moving in 2 years and the bulldogs and North merging in 2 years and then trying to pick a side.

groupie1
Club Player

unbelievable

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
howlinwolf
Club Player

I appreciate the effort you have gone to with your proposal Moccha however it would mean we have given up and dissolved our Club.

You mention how we have one premiership in 150 years. Well this is no way to get more. Ask any Fitzroy supporter if they feel they have 3 more since their merger with the Lions ?

You never really hear the word Fitzroy mentioned by The Lions.

This reminds me of the old saying about my grandfather's axe.
It's had 10 new heads and 5 new handles. The best axe he's ever had.

When is a Club not your Club anymore ?
Ask the Fitzroy diehards !

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Baldock Rules wrote:As mentioned Moccha it took guts to post this proposal.

It took no guts at all. He is behind a computer. No one probably even knows who he is. If I write I hope the Saints fold and then give some reasons does that take guts. No because no one knows me.

The post was rubbish on 2 fronts. Us moving in 2 years and the bulldogs and North merging in 2 years and then trying to pick a side.
IMO u are a load of rubbish.

There you go.

It's easy to make up isn't it.

We all have an opinion and take it as just that. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's a load of rubbish. How about giving your reasons why this would be a bad move. Personally I can't see St.Kilda winning a premiership by staying in Melbourne. They've been trying for 150 yrs and have only won one and by the narrowest of margins with 12 teams going around. How are they going to do it with 6 more in the competition? In their current state they'll be lucky to be around in 10 yrs especially with narrowed mined turkeys like urself supporting them

Strength_Through_Loyalty

Baldock Rules wrote: Would love to the Tassie Saints with any relocation but that is not being made possible by the current administration.
I've got to say that if any interstate relocation was under consideration, going to Tassie would have to be my first option. Of course, moving to Casey would get many of the same benefits as the GC (Growing Pop. Better Facilities etc.), but without prostituting the club to the AFL.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Erm...there's a fair bit of effort there...sorry, but why did you bother? I doubt the AFL could afford to wrap up two Victorian teams by 2010...they'd need to see instant payback from WS and GC to make it financially viable, wouldn't they? The Saints are one of the better Victoarian clubs financially, as we're self-supporting. Bulldogs and North would be best, so why not WS Bulldogs and GC Kangaroos?

I really think Dimwit's kidding himself if he thinks they're pull this business off. No supporters, little interest from the local population and governments, plus Brisbane and Sydney next door, I doubt they'll let the competition slide in there without a fight.

Besides that, if we did go, why trade away all those great players? We'd get 10 years worth of priority picks anyway.

Why not create a religation system? Bring back Fitzroy, add Swan Districts, include Tassie! I think it's just as stupid an idea...bravo to me.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:If your wife was out of a job and you were struggling for cash, would you turn her to prostitution because it makes economic sense?

Tough question - maybe up at the Gold Coast, definitely not around here though.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

krabb wrote:Well if we want it we'd better hurry.....or it will be all over.

They're already getting their 2nds organised.

Ask yourselves honestly...what have we got.

A 3rd rate rathole called Moorabbin...where not a cent has been spent for years...i think even the spiders have moved out.

We're moving training to Frankston.....err what year was that again? :roll:

Our 2nds are playing at Sandringham.....hmm parking tickets abide there 7 days a week by a greedy council...and its not all that...true.

We play at the Dome...where collo rules...

Yep we're forging ahead allright...arent we?
Good point actually. Where the hell are we "based" anyway....certainly not in St.kilda. The more I think of the move to the gold coast, The more I can see credence in the idea.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

It needs to be considered - but only because not cosnidering all the options is poor management. Even when I think about it unemotionally, it doesn't need to be considered for very long either - for all the advantages the AFL will offer to a team over at the Gold Coast, they will not include either a guaranteed premiership, or guaranteed stability.

There is every chance these expansion ventures will fail. I really wonder with the launching of 2 franchises whether the AFL is expecting one to fail and setting themselves up for a merge if necessary.

For St Kilda to voluntarily relocate would constitute an enourmous risk. With the move of the VFL team to Sandringham, prospective training facilities to be built in Frankston, a social club in Moorabbin, and the branding of "St Kilda", the Saints lock down a large and (importantly) affluent portion of Melbourne as a recruiting ground for fans and members. The sport of choice is already AFL, the population is high, and the potential revenue huge. Lack of traditional success has hindered them in tapping this latent base, but the potential is there.

Giving that up would be folly of the highest order. It would constitute a business risk of gigantic proportion to the brief spike of premiership probability that draft concessions etc. might offer in the middle term.

A relocation to either Western Sydney or the Gold Coast is NOT a shortcut to a premiership - it would be a last resort to keep some semblance of life in a team that has failed as a business. The Saints are on stable ground, and as such, there's no guarantee the AFL would even support such a move. Neither North or the Demons would stand to inherit the geographic fanbase, and the competition for that fanbase would doubtless include Rugby and Soccer, so the AFL might view themselves as gambling their fans without adding strength to franchises who are struggling.

While we're struggling on field, we as fans need to understand that there's no handout that will guarantee us the premiership we want. We need to gain that through those who actually contribute to the result on matchday - coaching and playing... high draft picks, priority picks, salary cap concessions, extra rookies - these are all things that can tilt the odds, but nobody wins through entitlement, and no team wins it without earning it in home and away, finals, and the grand final.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

spewing just spent a 1/2 hour writing up the reasons for, pressed submit & bloody hey presto wasnt logged in
oh well it'll keep for another day

TassieJones
Club Player

I can't believe not only did someone spend so long plotting the death of our club but other people agree. Is a flag/better financial position (and we are already in a better financial position than several clubs) really worth killing your club? If you want to see flags sometime soon well the Hawks look good for a couple and made a record profit so why not just jump ship and support them?

I will support the ST KILDA FOOTBALL CLUB until the day I die, and no one else (unless Tassie got a team, in which case I'd support both, but that's a different story). The worst part was when you suggested this Gold Coast bastard child team with NO history and NO tradition would get OUR motto and OUR shield! Do you even know why we wear the shield with that motto? You are an absolute disgrace mate.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:I can't believe not only did someone spend so long plotting the death of our club but other people agree. Is a flag/better financial position (and we are already in a better financial position than several clubs) really worth killing your club? If you want to see flags sometime soon well the Hawks look good for a couple and made a record profit so why not just jump ship and support them?

I will support the ST KILDA FOOTBALL CLUB until the day I die, and no one else (unless Tassie got a team, in which case I'd support both, but that's a different story). The worst part was when you suggested this Gold Coast bastard child team with NO history and NO tradition would get OUR motto and OUR shield! Do you even know why we wear the shield with that motto? You are an absolute disgrace mate.
And loving it!

I'll let Roger put his case forward.

We need a premiership to survive, can't just make the numbers up

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Written and authorised by Andrew Demetriou on behalf of the Andrew Demetriou Dictatorship party "I'm the great dictator for the AFL and nothing will stop me from ripping out the heart of the VFL/AFL. "
I'd turn to Sandringham and never go to another AFL game if we had to re-locate away from our heart land.
I can still remember a smart a****d Essendon supporter once asking me who I'd barrack for when the Saints were considered ripe for removing and my response "Fremantle" that wiped the grin off her face and by the way we're still here so I've never had to get serious about the Dockers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
TassieJones wrote:I can't believe not only did someone spend so long plotting the death of our club but other people agree. Is a flag/better financial position (and we are already in a better financial position than several clubs) really worth killing your club? If you want to see flags sometime soon well the Hawks look good for a couple and made a record profit so why not just jump ship and support them?

And loving it!

We have for 111 years and in case you didnt realise there are 16 clubs wanting a premiership but they only give out one a year. If the Roos and Dogs can survive then we certainly can.

TassieJones
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
And loving it!

Why do we need a premiership to survive?
a) We are doing fine as it is and
b) North have won 2 flags in the past 12 years and it didn't help them. Making up the numbers isn't ideal but it's better than our club dieing. Who says we can't win a flag in Melbourne anyway?

Now be serious, are you a Carlton supporter in disguise?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:
Moccha wrote:
And loving it!

Why do we need a premiership to survive?
a) We are doing fine as it is and
b) North have won 2 flags in the past 12 years and it didn't help them. Making up the numbers isn't ideal but it's better than our club dieing. Who says we can't win a flag in Melbourne anyway?

Now be serious, are you a Carlton supporter in disguise?
I'll let Roger, my PR manager answer that one

karnaby
Club Player

FWIW moccha is known by plenty of other StKilda supporters & in fact puts in an effort to benefit others (unlike some who gob off around here). He is no carlton supporter either.

From over here I will admit that it is easier to think of relocation being a viable alternative as against those of you in Victoria who get Saints dished up to them ~16 times a year.

I had not seen this thread until just now but over the past couple of days I have written the following to friends in emails:
I reckon the Gold Coast Saints is the way to go, jump in now while we have even the slightest chance of doing so - it is far and away the best chance the RW&B mob will ever have of winning a flag in the near future!
&
If you really want my opinion I firmly believe that relocation to the Gold Coast should be number 1 item on the board's agenda. Frankly I don't think that it will ever happen because in all reality we've got far too many supporters who would prefer to see a long draw out "heroic" struggle that ultimately led to our failure rather than a pragmatic shift.
As I wrote above, it's easy for me to think relocation is sensible. BUT please don't bother suggesting that I'm any less of a supporter for saying so! The club has made damned good money out of me & my family for quite some time, for very little return, apart from our pleasure in knowing that we're doing our bit to help out.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful