Funniest thing you have heard or seen at a game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Funniest thing you have heard or seen at a game

Just to lighten the mood a bit, would like to hear about the funniest thing you heard or saw at a St.Kilda game.

For me, must have been the mid 90's down at Kardinia Park where I arrived early and was watching the 1st quarter of the reserves.

Just in front of this a struggle for the ball developed between Mick Dwyer and Andrew Wills which resulted in the ball going out of bounds.

Suddenly this booming voice came form behind me with the comment "Geez will you look at the two of them. (Dwyer & Wills) There's not a head of hair between them."

Both Andrew Wills and Mick Dwyer looked up towhere the voice came from and then at each other and started laughing, as were all the early bird souls who were there in the outer.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Wasn't at a St Kilda Game but when i was playing under 18's at Waverly one day. The only supporter at the ground called me a "Lanky piece of pelican S**T" when i was kicking for goal. I was laughing so hard i missed from about 20 metres out. Was called pelican for the rest of the year!!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

One of the first games we played at TD, our seats were on L! about 5 rows from the fence.

The play was near us and one of the umpires gave a shocking holding the ball decision against us because he was on teh wrong side of teh pack and guessed that the Saint had the ball when in fact it hafd rolled away.

I stood up and gave him a 'spray' (politely of course) including that even the Boundary Umpire, who was facing the play knew that the decision was wrong. To everyone's amazement he started nodding his head in agreement.
Everyone around me burst into laughter.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

One of the funniest things I've heard at a game, was just after half time on Friday Night.

Sitting on L1 in the reserved seats with HD, we're surrounded by blokey blokes with deep, booming voices, cant understand a word they're saying.

The,m out of nowhere a little kid's voice pipes up with:

"You're a dog, Farmer!!"

Stunning.

esaint66
SS Life Member

West Coast eagles game and we beat them by 50 odd points at the dome, i was with a mutual mate on level 3 and this one west coast fan was yelling and abbusing the umpire about every st kilda kick, goal etc and my mate just grabbed his shirt turned him around told him to pipe down late into the fourth quarter the west coast fan told him to get f**cked so he dacked him and the bloke fell flat on his ass and everyone was giving him soooo much s**t, the bloke finally shut up and left :wink:

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

At Waverly V Pies, a famous game when it was a rare win for them with Tony Shaw as coach.
When the Pies got on top the pies fans got louder and one cried Go Bucks youve kept Harvey kickless all day and his mate said MMM Harveys not playing u idiot

Before Im 85
Wollongong_saint
Club Player

Without a doubt, the day at the SCG in 1993 (or was it '94?) when the piglet was let out onto the ground. I was pretty young at the time but I remember it was hilarious watching all the players chase the little thing around the ground. The SCG was so muddy that day the goal umpire at the Randwick end fell over about five times!!! Gold.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Here's another one, way back in 1973 we played Collingwood at Waverley.

Now me and my friends were in the cheer squad way back then and my friend was in charge of the boards that spelt out SAINTS, which of course would be held up when we scored a goal.

Now my friend had a moment of inspiration and decided to make another board with the letter H.

This meant we could spell out s***, which was promptly held up whenever Collingwood had a shot for goal.

Was quite amusing to us, also caused the football replay to be slightly censored and very much frowned upon by establishment.

yltnias
Club Player

A few years ago at the Dome vs the Bummers
Sitting amongst a few Bummer supporters on L3 in the outer
Early in the game, Maxy had beaten Lloydy to the 1st few contests and Lloydy looked out of sorts
Promptly I called out 'Lloydy your useless! Maxy will have you any day!'
One bummer supporter turned to give me a dirty look
Of course Lloydy ran rampant as the night wore on and kicked 7!!!!
Every goal kicked was replied with a 'Lloydddddddy!!!!' from the supporter
In the end, you just had to laugh!!!!

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

The funniest one I remember was in 1999, at the MCG. I had an American work colleague visiting and I wanted her to see an Aussie Rules match before she left. The only match we could see was Essendon vs. Richmond,when the Dons were near their best and Richmond was not that different to now.

Anyway, we were sitting in the Richmond area and they were putting up some rsistance in the first half. By the 3rd quarter Essendon ws getting right on top and the Tiger fans were dishing it out to their own players as it kept getting more ugly and the fans gave any hope of winning. We were enjoying the comments more than the actual game by then.

Finally, an Essendon made a mistake! He came running out of the back pocket and just got tangled up in his own legs and went "splat" head-first into the turf, splayed every which way. Then all of a sudden one of the Richmond abusers yells out "Ah, ya just tripped over your own dick, didn't ya". Everybody just cracked up all around us and I'll never forget laugjing so hard.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

did bugs bunny run out on the field the other day? i thought i saw him

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Round 1, 2003 vs North at the G

Sitting on L1 in the GSS, the Roos were on top in the first half, and every time the Saints made a mistake this drunken North fan would turn to the Saints fans that filled most of the area and bellow "Wheres Stewie Loewe now?? Wheres Stewie??". Of course it was our first game after the retirement of the big No 23.

This went on til nearly half time when, following yet another p1ssed holler of "Wheres Stewie!??" one Saints fan stood up, faced this bloke and yelled back..

"Well I know where Wayne Carey is...at your place ****ing your missus!!!"

Cue 100 people falling around in hysterical laughter and the North fan breaking into a grin and hi-fiving the author of the best crowd taunt Ive ever heard at a game.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Round 1, 2003 vs North at the G

Sitting on L1 in the GSS, the Roos were on top in the first half, and every time the Saints made a mistake this drunken North fan would turn to the Saints fans that filled most of the area and bellow "Wheres Stewie Loewe now?? Wheres Stewie??". Of course it was our first game after the retirement of the big No 23.

This went on til nearly half time when, following yet another p1ssed holler of "Wheres Stewie!??" one Saints fan stood up, faced this bloke and yelled back..

Cue 100 people falling around in hysterical laughter and the North fan breaking into a grin and hi-fiving the author of the best crowd taunt Ive ever heard at a game.

hehe, good one.

Some one mentioned one on here a while ago, cant remember the story, which you need for it be funny read , duh....but it was based around someone yelling "what did you do with the beaumont children" . Anyone remember that post? Or maybe the author is reading?

iceman
Club Player

Rickabee wrote:The funniest one I remember was in 1999, at the MCG. I had an American work colleague visiting and I wanted her to see an Aussie Rules match before she left.
My story is not Football Related but at a football game and also involves an American who wanted to see a game of Aussie Rules, Me and a mate had bought the first few rounds then it was his shout at the bar... Me and the other mate were waiting a while for our beers and the bloke came back empty handed... 'Wheres our beers mate?' and he replied... 'I can't believe it.. i went to pay but they don't accept American money!!!' typical american ignorance... anyway he he got a cheep day and we ended up 1/3 extra out of pocket... made us laugh so hard.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I have a couple.

See below - sort of technical glitch.
Last edited by perfectionist on Tue 24 Jun 2008 9:37pm, edited 3 times in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
saint66au wrote:Round 1, 2003 vs North at the G

hehe, good one.

Some one mentioned one on here a while ago, cant remember the story, which you need for it be funny read , duh....but it was based around someone yelling "what did you do with the beaumont children" . Anyone remember that post? Or maybe the author is reading?
Ooooh I can feel a MW chant coming on for our upcoming games v Crows and Power :-)

On a related note, the Melb Victory fans taunting Adelaide United with chants of "Bodies in a barrel, ya keep ya bodies in a barrel" at the 2006 GF tickled my fancy

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Here they are:

1. Went to a Saints V Hawks game at VFL park about ten years ago and I sat on the third level. Just before the game started, a guy arrived with a pram and baby. The guy was decked out in Hawks colours from head to toe and so was the baby, who may have been about 12 months old. How sweet, I thought. The siren sounded, and within thirty seconds a Saints player had taken possession and had been claimed by a Hawks player. At this the Guy, at 100 DB, yelled BALL!!!!. At this, the baby started to cry and scream at the fright of his father yelling. The guy then realising what he had done, went to the pram, picked up the baby and cuddled him and comforted him and soon the baby was calm again and was replaced in the pram. The guy then turned his attention to the game, in a matter of seconds, he yelled, BALL!!!!!. The baby started to scream again. I realised I would be in for a long day. I moved. And we won.

2. At Moorabbin one day, with my uncle, and in the days (the 60s) of one umpire, and less sensitivity to racial issues, umpire Artso was in charge of the game. My uncle always thought that every decision against the Saints was wrong and so after three or four decisions he thought were "howlers" he stood in the stand and declared " Strike me pink, Arso, they've got the bloody Japanese here now!" Can't remember if we won or lost, but the crowd around us cheered.
Last edited by perfectionist on Tue 24 Jun 2008 9:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

desperados

At a game against Collingwood - played in the 90s at Waverley.

The great Nicky Winmar had been forced to change into a new jumper (early version of blood rule) and came back on wearing No 60.

One Collingwood supporter to another: "Who's that number 60 for St Kilda?"

esaint66
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:did bugs bunny run out on the field the other day? i thought i saw him

Sure its wasn't just Rex Hunt ??? :wink:

esaint66
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:I have a couple.

See below - sort of technical glitch.

You pressed the submit button too many times.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

n1ck wrote:One of the funniest things I've heard at a game, was just after half time on Friday Night.

Sitting on L1 in the reserved seats with HD, we're surrounded by blokey blokes with deep, booming voices, cant understand a word they're saying.

The,m out of nowhere a little kid's voice pipes up with:

"You're a dog, Farmer!!"

Stunning.
You sure it was level 1? Sounds like me! :P (Although I wouldn't call myself a little kid)

Batnoe

I have a few all at the Gabba tho unfortunately

Jono Brown vs Pies in Round 2 this year missed so many goals my mate stood up with the lions that dont cheer for a point and said 'Monday morning- dream team, ' f****** out' You are f****** s***' No one else laughed but i was in tears for about half the quarter as everyone around him wanted to hit him

I was cheering at saints vs lions practice match and there was a 3 year old girl decked up in her lions stuff. It was hilarious that she liked what i was doing and yelled out ' go saints' i turned around and the look on the parents was gold, they ended up moving to the other side of the hill

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

in the mid ninties went to North vs the Saints at Waverley and we sat right in front of a very drunk North fan. He was more anti saints than pro kangas and very vocal during the third quater a saints player (Keogh maybe) was knocked out for a while and got a free near the goals, because he was dazed Heatley I think got to take the kick. Well this set off the drunk kanga's supporter for no end the goal was kicked and the drunk fool kept going on about how soft St Kilda players were and how it wasn't a free kick and how tough the Kanga's were and how tough there SUPPORTERS were for a further 10 mins.

A St kilda fan near by told him to quiet down after a while which sent him in to anther tirade about how soft Saints supporters were. To prove his point (or to attempt to prove his point) he proceeded to brag how he could hit his mate square in the face (he was also drunk and almost asleep) and he wouldn't feel a thing.

He tried doing this missed his mate with his fist fell over clashing heads with his mate and knocked the both of them out...........

bethb7
Club Player

My dad barracks for essendon (unfourtunate for him) and he was sitting in the middle of the st kilda social club at a saints V bombers game (wanted a free ticket) anyway he wouldn't shut-up all day and he finally went to far and said something about the great man himself Robert Harvey, you should have heard the abuse hurled at him funniest thing I have ever seen seeing my dad get put back in his place. Only mumbled things under his breath for the rest of the day. I love the way saints supporters stick up for our players through thick and thin :)

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
saint64
Club Player

Umpire Carey (?) marking the ball - Saints v Dockers at Subi c. 2003