James Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:just on sandilands how wastful are freo having this tapout monster and not dominating the clearances ? if we had sandilands in 2004 to 2006 we would of won two flags at least
The point I was making before - is that I don't think Sandilands is much chop for Freo. Yes, he is big. Yes he wins all the hitouts - every week!!

But he lumbers around the ground like a giraffe, can't take a mark to save himself, can't kick, doesn't seem to be able to read the play that well. Hence he never gets to the right spots when they need him. I think he is actually hindering Freo's chances in my most humble opinion.

Stack him up against say a David Hille from Essendon, who's actually playing some good footy at present - who would you take? Hille is damaging when he gets the pill - Big Giraffe is not. Dean Cox is another - would get beaten for the hitouts by Sandilands - but would kill him around the ground and be a far more damaging player on the day. And usually is!! Ben Hudson from the Doggies would be BOG playing on Sandilands - even though he wouldn't win one single hitout!! I think Freo should re-assess there midfield structure and look at a trade for the Giraffe.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

the boy's doing okay

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote: Sandilands - even though he wouldn't win one single hitout!! I think Freo should re-assess there midfield structure and look at a trade for the Giraffe.
if he was close to 30, we'd be looking at him :lol:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
yipper
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:
yipper wrote: Sandilands - even though he wouldn't win one single hitout!! I think Freo should re-assess there midfield structure and look at a trade for the Giraffe.
You're scaring me Dan...

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:just on sandilands how wastful are freo having this tapout monster and not dominating the clearances ? if we had sandilands in 2004 to 2006 we would of won two flags at least
The point I was making before - is that I don't think Sandilands is much chop for Freo. Yes, he is big. Yes he wins all the hitouts - every week!!

But he lumbers around the ground like a giraffe, can't take a mark to save himself, can't kick, doesn't seem to be able to read the play that well. Hence he never gets to the right spots when they need him. I think he is actually hindering Freo's chances in my most humble opinion.

Stack him up against say a David Hille from Essendon, who's actually playing some good footy at present - who would you take? Hille is damaging when he gets the pill - Big Giraffe is not. Dean Cox is another - would get beaten for the hitouts by Sandilands - but would kill him around the ground and be a far more damaging player on the day. And usually is!! Ben Hudson from the Doggies would be BOG playing on Sandilands - even though he wouldn't win one single hitout!! I think Freo should re-assess there midfield structure and look at a trade for the
Giraffe.
I agree, they should tank to try and finish last, trade Sandilands for a top 10 pick and then they could pick up Natuni and be able to get a gun mid with their other top 10 pick. Natuni and Warnock would easily be the premier ruck combo in a few years time, add in a midfield consisting of Palmer, Ibbotson and another top 10 draft pick they would have a pretty good looking centre...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
santazzi
Club Player

Who is Natuni? And what is the guarantee they will be able to pick him up before some other team does???

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Must say I havent been a huge fan of Gwilts but his last couple of games he has shown greater composure with the footy down back and he does have the size......IF we can engineer some mongrel and a bit more intesnity he may just have a spot.

I hope for his and our clubs sake he keeps taking his chances and builds his confidence.

Kudos again for Lyon in at least attemtping to find out.

“Yeah….nah””
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Decision making is also suss, but can be improved.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Or maybe I should say, decision making is a little slow. Does show some improvement though, compared to the last time he got a run.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Or maybe I should say, decision making is a little slow. Does show some improvement though, compared to the last time he got a run.
do you reckon its the coaching bringing out his best?

“Yeah….nah””
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Or maybe I should say, decision making is a little slow. Does show some improvement though, compared to the last time he got a run.
hehe, errr....I probably shouldnt answer that. Im apparently getting too negative on poor ol RL. :D

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Ahh, so he's the one :shock:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Teflon wrote:
no. but i was intrigued by the responses. its like fishing....or shooting them in a barrel... :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
maverick wrote:
Teflon wrote:
no. but i was intrigued by the responses. its like fishing....or shooting them in a barrel... :lol:
Touche' :wink:

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I dont think Gwilts problems, real or not, are caused by RL. Obviously fishing, Teflon.

I reckon he deserves more games, lets see how he goes.

Still have fond memories of his stellar game in the 05 final V ADL. Bit ahh, that was 3 years ago now.

He also isnt coming of a base in the VFL like nearly all other players. I think he was plucked directly from Noble Park? That in mind, you have to think he is going to develop a little slower and so far is doing alright.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
RL has taken 5 perhaps 6 ruckmen so far. 7 if you count the NSW rookie ruckmen who is a giant.

Yes three were older...as we had bugga all in terms of ruck stocks

3/4 were kids though in McEvoy (who looks the goods), Van Reahan, Khan....and the NSW Rookie

Of the 3 older ones...Clarke was only ever meant to be a one year back up fora cheap PSD pick.

King was basically free.

So all in all why is RL knocked about ruckmen???

King and Gardi have both shown the goods.

Ruckmen tend to be injury prone...so with McEvoy, King and Gardiner we should be well served for at least another two years after this.....with McEvoy then ready to hit his straps.

Back to Gwilt...shows promise...but needs to play smarter and use the ball better. Hopefelly this will come with experience and game time.

And M Gardiner was only half a pick 43....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....