The Great Coach and Game Plan Debate...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The Great Coach and Game Plan Debate...

Since last night it’s been interesting reading peoples views from both sides of the perpetual great coach and game plan debate. I don’t think though that I’ve heard anybody mention the possibility that we might of won the game because of our superior fitness and skills. North were running out of gas towards the end of the third quarter and I wouldn’t mind betting that was mentioned at the ¾ time break. Similarly our skills looked sharper last night, probably more by hand than foot. We started picking up and moving the ball cleanly, the cleanest ball movement we’ve seen in a long while, and quick.

On both counts, you would have to say confidence was the key. The game plan surely would not have been re-worked at quarter time as some have suggested. That would be foolish. You'd have to say it was the same or similar game plan we’ve had since RL arrived at the club. It surely had to be all the things RL has been repeatedly banging on about such as good accountable footy all the way through four quarters, and effort. It was only our mistakes and some umpiring that gifted North 4 goals in the first quarter otherwise that quarter would have been a nil all draw and say that happened RL could have made the same address and possibly the same result in the next three quarters would have transpired which was the ‘click’. A few things coming together, that’s all it was, a click, and we end up winning.

Just like Geelong did, we haven’t panicked, and by we I mean the club, because our supporters and media clearly hit the big red eject button weeks ago.

The club hasn’t thrown the baby out with the bath water.

We had energy and enthusiasm last night. Players were working hard with and without the ball, although there were still a couple of times when players reverted to old habits and did not sacrifice their game by doing some small things like block.

When Ross Lyon came to the Saints he stated clearly that he wasn’t going to change the game plan much except that he wanted more accountability and to his word he has been extremely honest in this regard. It was also stated that we would need a better fitness base to match such a game plan. With this comes the ability to maintain your skill level as exhaustion kicks in and I think last night that showed. You can have attacking football and accountability and last nights game showed that and attacking football doesn’t have to mean kicking 20 goals every week.

At the end of the day I think the great coach and game plan debate is missing the target by a big margin when trying to uncover the mystery that is the St Kilda football club.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sun 29 Jun 2008 7:00pm, edited 4 times in total.

happy feet
Club Player

who knows?

I can't figure it out, and unless you are in the inner sanctum at the Saints, you're probably only guessing too.

One thing I do know, is that it is useless having a side peak too early, and I would rather win the last 10 games than the first. St Kilda are a mystery, and I guess we will just have to keep on watching to see how the rest of the season unfolds.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: who knows?

happy feet wrote:I can't figure it out, and unless you are in the inner sanctum at the Saints, you're probably only guessing too.
100% spot on.

There are so many on here who believe they 'know' what the gameplan is and post accordingly.

No matter who says it's not (Coaches, Players, Administrators) they maintain their view that the gameplan is as they believe/know it to be.

When we play attacking footy, it's the players defying the gameplan.
When we play defensive footy, it's the players following the gameplan.

I just wish all the experts would publish on here the details so the rest of us can also 'know' what the exact gameplan is.
Afterall, to be as positive as they seem to be on 'knowing' its details they surely must have a printed copy of it?

gooner
Club Player

I agree with all of the posts above.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
happy feet wrote:I can't figure it out, and unless you are in the inner sanctum at the Saints, you're probably only guessing too.
100% spot on.

There are so many on here who believe they 'know' what the gameplan is and post accordingly.

No matter who says it's not (Coaches, Players, Administrators) they maintain their view that the gameplan is as they believe/know it to be.

I just wish all the experts would publish on here the details so the rest of us can also 'know' what the exact gameplan is.
Afterall, to be as positive as they seem to be on 'knowing' its details they surely must have a printed copy of it?
I think you have both mis understood my post.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
100% spot on.

Not at all, I agree with most of your post.

My response was a 'smartar$e' attempt to have a go at all the 'experts' over the last couple of months who have been making posts based on their 'knowledge' of what our gameplan is.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
100% spot on.

Not at all, I agree with most of your post.

My response was a 'smartar$e' attempt to have a go at all the 'experts' over the last couple of months who have been making posts based on their 'knowledge' of what our gameplan is.
ok. I didn't get that at first but now I do. Cool.