If Geelong are so good...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

If Geelong are so good...

And the Bullies not far behind, is there anything to be gained by making the finals?

Personally, I'd like to see us play off, but if you're not a realistic chance, is it worth it? Or do we load up for next year and play kids etc.

Here are a few questions to ponder...

1- we have underachieved so we'd like to see us improve.

2- it would be great to see us make the finals given 04 - 06

3- good for memberships / restores belief in RL

4- it shows that we are perhaps back on track

5- always great to see us play finals, especially for #35.

6- a wiining culture is a good culture.

7- good for player confidence.

Then again...

1- what are our realistic chances of winning the GF?

2- are we better off to start clearing the dead-wood and work towards next year?

3- apart from bruised egos, will there be any difference between 8th or 9th?

4- should we accept that we are so-so and look to blood the kids?

One could say that keep going until you cannot make the finals, then rebuild. But what's the point if you are just making up the numbers.

My thoughts are to go for it. What chances we do a Bradbury? If we can come home with a wet sail, and get our best 22 out there on a regular basis, who knows?

Your thoughts?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

If we can make the 8, and get a home final, anything can happen.

Every opposition supporter I know is hoping we dont make the finals, because even the Hawks and Dogs (maybe not the cats... yet) are scared of facing us on the big stage.

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Only one way for the players to get finals experience.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

we can beat any team on our day...OUR DAY

it doesnt come around too often though...

we might have OUR QUARTER though...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Anything can happen in finals. I know we can beat sides ranging from 5 to 7. If we got Collingwood for the first final we're a massive chance I reckon.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We cannot win the GF but niether can 14 other sides. Better for everyone involved in the club to finish in the finals than out of it. draft pick 9 or 7 who cares. This week will decide anyway.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

"You still have to win four races to take the cup"...

Something like what John Bertrand said after losing the 3rd race in a best of seven series race.

Geelong and the Bulldogs have got a long way to go and many a thing can go wrong between now Grand Final day.

For example, one of the players can suggest he wanted to punch his teammates in the face on a radio station and completely destabilise team harmony...

marksnsparks
Club Player

hilairehinshelwood wrote:Only one way for the players to get finals experience.
Totally agree. Getting finals experience is all part of blooding the kids. Nothing like a couple of finals game to accelerate their development.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

It's probably not so much about the draft picks.

More about playing the kids to see who'll cut it.

I guess we've historically seen more down than up, and I shudder to think what would happen if we missed out again.

We're not exactly averse to implosions of sorts.

IMHO we do not need to tank to get back to where we should be.

I see good signs with our existing core, and the emergance of Armo, Eddy, Gwilt etc. Add to that a settled Schneider, Dempster and King.

If we can get our best playing at least 6 good games together and hit form, we can roll anyone.

It's these annoying injuries that hamper any real continuity.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

are we not doing this already? Of the players in contention to come back in are

Hayes (best mid we have, 16 posies before hammy went)
Gardiner (best ruck we have IMO)
baker (best stopper we have)
schneider (preimership player)

we have played geary, eddy, allen, macenvoy, mini, cj, fergi, dempster, charlie.....

Except for howard, stevens, some raw rookies every reserve player with any hint of good form have been given a go....

Of the players under the gun this week are

charlie (second string mid forward), mini (born again back up mid), eddy (second year rookie) allen (second year tall)

All four above coming in are CURRENTLY a class above...

so of course we will bring those guys in when they are fit and ready to play.

Wont stop us continuing with armo, geary, allen, eddy, cj etc.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Agree, Solar.

I'm not refering to a few games here and there. More about saying "here's the next 6 weeks. show us what you can do."

Interesting few weeks ahead :)

Solar
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Agree, Solar.

I'm not refering to a few games here and there. More about saying "here's the next 6 weeks. show us what you can do."

Interesting few weeks ahead :)
of course but you need to get some bodies around these kids

I think this was our problem in 2003 - 2005. We played all our youngsters week in week out. Yes they had some big bodies like burke, harvey, thommo, powell ect. but we were still asking some young 18-19 year olds to push their bodies harder then they should have. 10 - 15 years earlier and most would never have seen a senior game unless they were freaks like tim watson. and even when that happened it was only 1-2 players in a team at a time.

Now we expect them all to do a judd or selwood and come in and shine. We played maguire and kosi as key backs, I remember a time when a big hawk Nathan thompson destroyed a thin young buck called goose. Luke ball and chris judd both broke down with OP and abductor problems. we have barely seen xavier since 2005.

I am all for playing the kids, but give them a taste. If they demand to keep their spot via great football in the seniors then give them a longer stint. But 2-3 weeks is usually a nice period of time for players in their first and second year.

Thats why eddy and geary are showing good signs, because they had a full year at casey last year and half of this year. They can develop a base of fitness and form. Then get a taste. I remember an interview with armo at the start of the year when he talked about getting a taste of AFL standard. After 5 minutes he said he was stuffed, the intensity and fitness needed blew him away.

I like where we are at with the youngsters. But now that most have had a sniff, they need to demand a spot.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Amen.

That's why I'm optomistic about Gwilt. Wait and see how big he comes back next year should we keep him.

Problem though was that we had to play them in 03 coz of injuries. so they were exposed sooner rather than later.

Also agree 100% about expectations. Seems like everyone is expected to play like Judd if they are a 1st round pick.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Well I can tell you all categorically we MUST go for broke every chance we get.
We have had too many years in the wilderness. Every finals appearance offers a glimmer of hope.
We have THE ornament to the game playing for us in his twilight year and we owe it to him to be giving it everything.

How can we explain to Harvs that (sitting in 8th) we are now tanking to rebuild. Thanks for coming ?

Harvs told us personally last Saturday he believes we can do some real damage in the finals. He said we can match it with the dogs and hawks so who know what can happen.
The Crows won it from 5th so it's not impossible.

I would be very ashamed of our club if our purpose was nothing other than a full tilt at the flag at every possible opportunity.

rexy
SS Life Member

howlinwolf wrote:Well I can tell you all categorically we MUST go for broke every chance we get.
We have had too many years in the wilderness. Every finals appearance offers a glimmer of hope.
We have THE ornament to the game playing for us in his twilight year and we owe it to him to be giving it everything.

How can we explain to Harvs that (sitting in 8th) we are now tanking to rebuild. Thanks for coming ?

Harvs told us personally last Saturday he believes we can do some real damage in the finals. He said we can match it with the dogs and hawks so who know what can happen.
The Crows won it from 5th so it's not impossible.

I would be very ashamed of our club if our purpose was nothing other than a full tilt at the flag at every possible opportunity.
Great post

Maybe this year?
villasaint
Club Player

It helps with sponsors if you make the finals too. Success brings better sponsors

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It ain't over till it's over.....

Every year is precious...and if you still have a chance...you give it your best crack :wink:

Yes the Cats are in awsome form...but putting my rose colored glasses on.......IF we can get the following players back (as mentioned above)into the senior team fit and in form then we will be in witha channce:

Hayes: Our most importnat player
M Gardiner; teamed with King gives us a very good ruck duo...and gardi was just starting to show really good around the ground form
X; we need his pace, run and tackling through the midfield and forward line
Schneider: we need another regular goal scoring avenue

..and possibly Baker: asa our shut down small backman that we currently lack..

I think that running Sam, Gram and BJ in the midfield gives us new life and depth to the crucial midfield.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Tend to agree with all of the above.

If the great man has the belief, then that's good enough for me.

Should put to rest any discussion that players aren't trying.

bozza1980
Club Player

For as long as you can make the finals you try and make the finals.

This might sound silly but as long as we keep winning the top 4 is open.

It think realistically 5th or 6th should be the goal but if you keep winning you never know...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

we absolutely smashed the dullbogs for the first quarter...we can do it for longer.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:we absolutely smashed the dullbogs for the first quarter...we can do it for longer.....
And geelong for a while too.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

if it bleeds, it can be killed.

no one thought carlton could beat Essendon in 99, they did it on heart, of course they were rubbish the next week, they'd won their GF, the idiots, no one though brisbane would get close to essendon in 01, and collingwood got a rubbish team to within a breadth of a premiership in 02...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

id say we make a decision in 2 weeks. we need to win 1 of the next 2. if we lose both. then season is over. play kids/tank and load up for next year.

so round 16 is when we decide whether we are still alive.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Silly question... Where did u go to scholl CG?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 I understand where you are coming from. However I believe if we start to lose more matches it would cause a drastic decline in membership and have a worse effect financially.