What's our best line up for the run home?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

What's our best line up for the run home?

We have our destinty in our hands. We could finish anywhere from 4th (though unlikely) through to 10th (if it all goes bad...again unlikely)

We have a pretty good run with injuries atm, and a number of players pushing for selection. So what is the best line up to take us forward from here?:

Last night's team was:

ST KILDA
B: Gram, Hudghton, Dempster
HB: Goddard, Gilbert, S.Fisher
C: McQualter, Dal Santo, Hayes
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, Eddy
F: Jones, Koschitzke, Armitage
FOLL: King, Ball, Montagna
I/C: Gwilt, Blake, Milne, Allen
EMG: C.Gardiner, Fiora, Schneider

Quality players to push for selection are:
- M. Gardiner
- Schneider
- Geary
- Baker
- x. Clarke (possibly two weeks away...)

Others (though not strong chances):
- Briss
- Fiora
- r. Clarke
- C.Gardiner
- Stevens
- Miles
- McEnvoy
- Ferguson

So who goes out from the team against carlton, and who comes in?

kaos theory
Club Player

Ok, here is my shot at the team for the rest of the season. Of course, injuries, form & opposition will cause some changes.

C: Baker, Dal Santo, Hayes
I/C: X. Clarke, Blake, Milne, M. Gardiner
EMG: McQualter, Allen, Schneider

Comments on selections:
- Having trouble fitting in Schneider...he has big up side, but hasn't yet prodcued it.
- I lke the way Eddy plays, I think he adds a lot of agreesion & some pace to the side.
- Allen keeps an emergency spot for his hight and forward play.
- Blake keeps his place as a utility and CHB, and expereince.
- Mini has to make way for Baker, though its a line ball. I like the potential upside of mini, but bakes at his best is the best tagger in the game.
- Dempster has done well enough to maintain his spot.
- Jones has been a big improver and keeps his spot. Geary could come in his place, but while geary has more class, does not have the toughness of jones or ability to tackle.
- Gwilt goes out for x. Clarke,. Its not like for like, but someone has to go. Gwilt could take blake's role, if blake slips up...

Back ups for the run home:
- Geary
- Gwilt
- Briss
- Fiora
- r. Clarke
- C.Gardiner
- McEnvoy
- Ferguson

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

1,2,3,6,7,8,10,11,12,14,15,16,18,23,24,25,26,27,32,35,38 and 44.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

don't see what x has dine to cement himself in the team

am a bit suss on Baker too

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok..here is a team...Not for next week...but say at seasons end running into the finals.

Assumption: That all players named play to a level that they have demonstrated in the past that they are capbale of (ie Schneider plays like he did for the Swans)

B: Baker, Hudghton, Dempster
HB: Goddard, Blake, S.Fisher
C: Gram, Hayes, Dal Santo
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, Schneider
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Jones
FOLL: King, Montagna ,Ball
I/C: X. Clarke, Gilbert, Armitage, M. Gardiner

Now X is obviously a big question mark at present....but X up and firing with his pace and tackling provides extra spark. Otherwise Mini probably stays in.

Armitage's place is obviously hot with Eddy, Mini, Geary all pushing for it.

Jones for the moment is in front of the group above.

Gram to stay in the midfield.

Baker ideally we need to return to form as we needa player that can restrict opposition forward smalls.

Schneider has been up and down, and also injury prone this year. But an in form Schneider combined with Milne, Roo and Kosi gives us a versatile and powerful forward line.

Gilbert is still out of sorts...but is still coming back from an injury gap. an in form Gilbert provides us a swing man that can go either end...can play on small or talls...and can even be givena run in the midfield. This makes he a very useful player to have in the 22 if we can get him back to last years form.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:don't see what x has dine to cement himself in the team

am a bit suss on Baker too
Im suss on Baker also and before his injuries.

He was/is IMO no longer a premier tagger in the mould of a Ling/Sewell and he struggles as a BP when taken deep by a small who can mark at all..

Eddy does add toughness/speed
So to Jones - they both stay.

Sneider not done enough yet. Reputations should count for little.

X Clarke does add additional run AND does do some hard things aka tackle....I have him in the best 22....

Gettin hard now to fit em in.....thats nice.....Geelong has had that for 2 yrs.

“Yeah….nah””
Goody
Club Player

SaintsRising, I dont like Blake as CHB, most good CHF's would lick there lips to see Blake jog down to them. This our main acchiles heel at the moment with Goose buggered. We need Gilbert to stand up and damn quickly.
The rest is quite good though and wll worry most sides

Followed Saints since '71
Sir Robert Harvey was my favorite player
Stewie Lowe and Plugger before that.
Loved watching Rooey and Jack Steven
Now looking forward to the future

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, but most just say " What the f#&k happened!".
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

B: Gilbert, Hudghton, S.Fisher
HB: Goddard, Blake, Dempster
C: Gram, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, X.Clarke
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Birss

Foll: M.Gardiner, Ball, Dal Santo
Int: King, Eddy, Harvey, Armitage

Emg: Baker, Schneider, Jones

Tough ones are picking two of Dempster, Eddy, McQualter and Baker. We can't have too many of those types in the team, but there's a strong case for each of them. I went with Dempster and Eddy since they're both more suited to the modern game and Eddy appears to have plenty of improvement left. Bakes and Mini miss out due to lack of size smaller scope for improvement.

X.Clarke, Schneider and Jones IMO are competing for the same spot and on this year's form X wins comfortably.

One of Gram, Goddard or Sam Fisher should always be in the midfield from now on. All have played there in patches and done some serious damage.

Birss never should have been dropped. Was playing well in the seniors and he's tearing it up at Casey. Can play as a backup midfielder, a midfield tagger or a negating forward who kicks goals. Valuable asset to the team.

M.Gardiner and King do most of the ruckwork while Kosi gets to pinch-hit every now and then. MG and King might also each have a spell occasionally up forward to mix things up.

With that team playing a reasonably high level of footy I'm confident we could make the finals and at least be competitive with Geelong and the Bulldogs. That said, unless we stamp out the patches of dumb, slow, lazy footy that we seem to dish up each week then we're not going to be a serious contender.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Goody wrote:SaintsRising, I dont like Blake as CHB, most good CHF's would lick there lips to see Blake jog down to them. This our main acchiles heel at the moment with Goose buggered. We need Gilbert to stand up and damn quickly.
The rest is quite good though and wll worry most sides
disagree. he's been a more than adequete replacement for goose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:B: Gilbert, Hudghton, S.Fisher
HB: Goddard, Blake, Dempster
C: Gram, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Harvey, Riewoldt, X.Clarke
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Birss

Foll: M.Gardiner, Ball, Dal Santo
Int: King, Eddy, Harvey, Armitage

Emg: Baker, Schneider, Jones

Tough ones are picking two of Dempster, Eddy, McQualter and Baker. We can't have too many of those types in the team, but there's a strong case for each of them. I went with Dempster and Eddy since they're both more suited to the modern game and Eddy appears to have plenty of improvement left. Bakes and Mini miss out due to lack of size smaller scope for improvement.

X.Clarke, Schneider and Jones IMO are competing for the same spot and on this year's form X wins comfortably.

One of Gram, Goddard or Sam Fisher should always be in the midfield from now on. All have played there in patches and done some serious damage.

Birss never should have been dropped. Was playing well in the seniors and he's tearing it up at Casey. Can play as a backup midfielder, a midfield tagger or a negating forward who kicks goals. Valuable asset to the team.

M.Gardiner and King do most of the ruckwork while Kosi gets to pinch-hit every now and then. MG and King might also each have a spell occasionally up forward to mix things up.

With that team playing a reasonably high level of footy I'm confident we could make the finals and at least be competitive with Geelong and the Bulldogs. That said, unless we stamp out the patches of dumb, slow, lazy footy that we seem to dish up each week then we're not going to be a serious contender.
I need you to explain how you could possibly have Birss ahead of CJ. The better CJ plays the more you disregard it. Dont go into games with how you think they play. Watch the game and then you will see he has had 4 good games in a row. You say CJ is competing with X and Schneider well I also think Birss would be as well. All can play on the ball and possibly kick a goal.

kaos theory
Club Player

Agree with plugger66, can't see how you could dump jones for birss.

Looks like baker might be struggling to come up, and schenider might finally be getting it together (though one good game in the vfl doesn't make a suceess). If schnider can get it together, he brings clever goal kicking skills & some pace.

Therefore a settled team could be:

ST KILDA
C: Schneider, Dal Santo, Hayes
EMG: McQualter, Allen, Birss/Geary

Still keen to keep eddy, i like his style & approach. Gilbert needs to lift another notch. Gram, X, Goddard to rotate through the mid to support the main guys. While X. Clarke is out, Mini, Birss & Geary can fit over his spot. Blake is important as a defender to replace Goose, and useful utility.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Eddy at this stage is in front of Geary.

Baker obviously hasa big black cloud over him at present....but we need a very good defensive small defender...and baker is the only real option...so lets hopes he regains form and fitness.

Gram is a waste in the BP. He has poor defensive skills....but has all the tools to bea dominant midfielder. Play him in the midfield.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:Ok, here is my shot at the team for the rest of the season. Of course, injuries, form & opposition will cause some changes.

C: Baker, Dal Santo, Hayes
EMG: McQualter, Allen, Schneider

Comments on selections:
- Having trouble fitting in Schneider...he has big up side, but hasn't yet prodcued it.
- I lke the way Eddy plays, I think he adds a lot of agreesion & some pace to the side.
- Allen keeps an emergency spot for his hight and forward play.
- Blake keeps his place as a utility and CHB, and expereince.
- Mini has to make way for Baker, though its a line ball. I like the potential upside of mini, but bakes at his best is the best tagger in the game.
- Dempster has done well enough to maintain his spot.
- Jones has been a big improver and keeps his spot. Geary could come in his place, but while geary has more class, does not have the toughness of jones or ability to tackle.
- Gwilt goes out for x. Clarke,. Its not like for like, but someone has to go. Gwilt could take blake's role, if blake slips up...

Back ups for the run home:
- Geary
- Gwilt
- Briss
- Fiora
- r. Clarke
- C.Gardiner
- McEnvoy
- Ferguson

i pretty much concur with this line up. i really like Birss' competitiveness but he is probably just a good back up at this stage. maybe armo starts on bench and is churned through the middle in concert with milne.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:Agree with plugger66, can't see how you could dump jones for birss.

Looks like baker might be struggling to come up, and schenider might finally be getting it together (though one good game in the vfl doesn't make a suceess). If schnider can get it together, he brings clever goal kicking skills & some pace.

Therefore a settled team could be:

ST KILDA
C: Schneider, Dal Santo, Hayes
EMG: McQualter, Allen, Birss/Geary

Still keen to keep eddy, i like his style & approach. Gilbert needs to lift another notch. Gram, X, Goddard to rotate through the mid to support the main guys. While X. Clarke is out, Mini, Birss & Geary can fit over his spot. Blake is important as a defender to replace Goose, and useful utility.
Just a couple of points. The bench needs 2 if not 3 onballers on it. You could argue you have none or one at the most so I would think Mini would have to play intead of Eddy. Having said that these sides dont happen due to injry and poor form.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i like eddy a lot. id id have armo starting on i/c. jones/armo can be used through the middle and the i/c.

som happy with this team. schneider, birss and mini both adequate back-ups.

not sure we can play milne and schneider in the same team?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I need you to explain how you could possibly have Birss ahead of CJ. The better CJ plays the more you disregard it. Dont go into games with how you think they play. Watch the game and then you will see he has had 4 good games in a row. You say CJ is competing with X and Schneider well I also think Birss would be as well. All can play on the ball and possibly kick a goal.
It's just my opinion. I have nothing against any of the players personally, but I just don't rate smalls who can't kick. CJ isn't the only one who is considered a good player by the majority who I don't rate either. Carazzo and Priddis (Palmer is another one, but he does have time to improve) are regarded by many as elite midfielders, but I wouldn't pay anything to have them at St Kilda (maybe Priddis as backup for Ball/Hayes).

Birss is consistent, uses the ball well, can be effective in plenty of different roles and regularly kicks goals. I think he should just about be an automatic selection unless his form drops off badly. Offers a lot of versatility (inside mid, tagger, half forward option, negating forward).

X.Clarke plays a similar role to CJ but is far classier. Right now with Xavier out of the side Jones' forward pressure is useful, but if we can get someone who can apply the same pressure and hurt the opposition with the footy then I don't see how Jones would keep his spot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I need you to explain how you could possibly have Birss ahead of CJ. The better CJ plays the more you disregard it. Dont go into games with how you think they play. Watch the game and then you will see he has had 4 good games in a row. You say CJ is competing with X and Schneider well I also think Birss would be as well. All can play on the ball and possibly kick a goal.
It's just my opinion. I have nothing against any of the players personally, but I just don't rate smalls who can't kick. CJ isn't the only one who is considered a good player by the majority who I don't rate either. Carazzo and Priddis (Palmer is another one, but he does have time to improve) are regarded by many as elite midfielders, but I wouldn't pay anything to have them at St Kilda (maybe Priddis as backup for Ball/Hayes).

Birss is consistent, uses the ball well, can be effective in plenty of different roles and regularly kicks goals. I think he should just about be an automatic selection unless his form drops off badly. Offers a lot of versatility (inside mid, tagger, half forward option, negating forward).

X.Clarke plays a similar role to CJ but is far classier. Right now with Xavier out of the side Jones' forward pressure is useful, but if we can get someone who can apply the same pressure and hurt the opposition with the footy then I don't see how Jones would keep his spot.
I think you are wrong but that doesnt matter what does matter is the coach thinks you are wrong.

Lenny = legend
Club Player

birss could be a very handy player in a tough finals match.

it shows we're in a good position now where players are stiff not to make the team eg: birss, charlie, shnieds etc compared to only a few weeks ago when we had to play 3 first-gamers because we didnt have enough senior players who deserved a game. consistency is important though so the less changes the better.

other teams are starting to get key injuries (especially crows n cats this week) n we look like we're getting better every week!

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

My attempt -

B: Baker, Hudghton, Blake
HF: Jones, Riewoldt, Schneider
F: Milne, Koschitzke, GTrain/Allen.
I/C: X. Clarke, Armitage, Dempster, Harvey

Emerg: M. Gardiner, Eddy, R.Clarke, Birss, C. Gardiner,

- Depending on the opponent we may be able to go with three talls (King, Gardi, Kosi) but i think our best footy has been with one of Gardi/ King and Kosi in the ruck resting Fwd. The question becomes King or Gardi? Gardi is more mobile and thus could be a better option in some games but Kings tap work may help us in others simply a matter of horses for courses.

-Gtrain is our best finals option as a Fwd as the other teams will give him more respect and put a better Back on him. Other than him i would go with Woody as a forward .

- We need to have the likes of Gram, BJ, Baker all running thru the middle at some stage. Can't afford to allow teams to take Gram and BJ away from the ball deep in our defence. This is something i can see happening if we play them in our defensive half.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

redwhite&blackblood wrote:My attempt -

F: Milne, Koschitzke, GTrain.

Emerg: M. Gardiner, Eddy, R.Clarke, Allen, C. Gardiner,

- Depending on the opponent we may be able to go with three talls (King, Gardi, Kosi) but i think our best footy has been with one of Gardi/ King and Kosi in the ruck resting Fwd. The question becomes King or Gardi? Gardi is more mobile and thus could be a better option in some games but Kings tap work may help us in others simply a matter of horses for courses.

-Gtrain is our best finals option as a Fwd as the other teams will give him more respect and put a better Back on him. Other than him i would go with Woody as a forward .

- We need to have the likes of Gram, BJ, Baker all running thru the middle at some stage. Can't afford to allow teams to take Gram and BJ away from the ball deep in our defence. This is something i can see happening if we play them in our defensive half.
Dont miind the attempt but using players that have basically retired will not work. G is finished who would you put in for him.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Dont miind the attempt but using players that have basically retired will not work. G is finished who would you put in for him.
-Gtrain is our best finals option as a Fwd as the other teams will give him more respect and put a better Back on him.

as i said above Woody.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

redwhite&blackblood wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

-Gtrain is our best finals option as a Fwd as the other teams will give him more respect and put a better Back on him.

as i said above Woody.
He isnt playing anymore.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I agree on the fact that CJ and X are fighting for the same spot.

It's the Half Forward/Midfielder/Wing spot.

It's probably the fiercest fight for a spot in the 22.

Two players out of:

CJ
X
Eddy
Birss
Schneider
Steven

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

as i said above Woody. Gtrain hasn't retired why would he be training if he had retired. It maybe an uphill battle for him to get fit enough to play but whilst he is on the list and hasn't declared he is retired it is a chance we can still play him. Ross has done many unmethodical things as coach wouldn't put this past him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

as i said above Woody. Gtrain hasn't retired why would he be training if he had retired. It maybe an uphill battle for him to get fit enough to play but whilst he is on the list and hasn't declared he is retired it is a chance we can still play him. Ross has done many unmethodical things as coach wouldn't put this past him.
I can pretty much assure you that he isnt really training. Well certainly not enough to play AFL footy so he will not be back.