Forward for Saints 09

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Forward for Saints 09

Given the Fergus Watts debacle. I know I should not be bringing it up again.

But whare do the saints stand on a new key forward now G train is finished? I am concerned about our lack of goal power. Milney & Riewoldt are our only goal kickers. Look at what Aker and Scotty Welsh have bought for the dogs. So it doesnt have to be a tall. Just a goal kicker. 30-40 a season type.

I though we should go after Timmy Boyle from the Hawks? Im just not sure what we have to trade with?

Note the top 10 Goalkickers this year

Lance Franklin
Brendan Fevola
Matthew Pavlich
Daniel Bradshaw
Jonathan Brown
Jarryd Roughead
Paul Medhurst
Daniel Motlop
Jason Akermanis
Matthew Richardson
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 15 Jul 2008 4:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Fev

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In 2009 = Roo, Kosi and Allen

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Quixote
SS Life Member

Roy Schnieder was recruited to fill this void.

Has been a bit unlucky with injuries, and form was patchy.

I'm hoping he comes back stronger and - crucially - hungrier than ever.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

About the least worried section of the club is the forward line at the moment.

Coming through as Fwd's or options as forwards, McEvoy, Kosi, Allen, Schneider, Goddard, Stevens ect ect

Would be more worried about the Backline and then the midfield before the forward line.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Agree, Schneider is the man to ad a few more. But gee, having a proper spearhead would be nice.

Get the backline fixed and you free up players like BJ etc. Maybe Goose next year?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Then again... a proper kicking coach would help :shock:

midas_touch
Club Player

We should make a strong pitch for Fev. Despite all the baggage off the field, he is the best set shot in the game.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:We should make a strong pitch for Fev. Despite all the baggage off the field, he is the best set shot in the game.

And old and when on song is brilliant but when not costs the team a lot of goals. No to Fev to expensive for his out put IMO.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

At the right price... worth the risk. Different scenery etc. Remember what they said about MG?

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Isn't the main area of concern for 09' full back?
It's more likely than not that this would be Max's last year and i'm not convinced that we have a replacement waiting. Chips is better as a HB as is Gilbert. Also, Goose is on the road back from another injury so we can't rely on him. Jason Blake is doing well on the 2nd tall forward of opposition teams at the minute but isn't good enough to take the number 1 forward from the opposition. Gwilt is still trying to make the grade.
We have enough options up forward to be fine for 09'...down back is more of a concern.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:About the least worried section of the club is the forward line at the moment.

Coming through as Fwd's or options as forwards, McEvoy, Kosi, Allen, Schneider, Goddard, Stevens ect ect

Would be more worried about the Backline and then the midfield before the forward line.
i hope that list is a joke?

how many goals has mcevoy kicked in his life? goddard is not a forward. never has been. steven has 0 AFL games to his name. Kosi is... well... Kosi... Schenider needs to just get a kick.

I mean there is a difference between optimism and being positive and complete delusion. look at that top 10 list again and tell me the saints look like getting someone in it any time soon unless we trade for someone.

id take fev anyday but no way he will leave carlton.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Timmy Boyle all the way, good player, we should try and get him for a third rounder if possible, maybe second if we have to but no more.
He could kick a good 20-30 goals a year and take a bit of attention away from Roo as well as provide a target when both Roo and Kosi are elsewhere.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:About the least worried section of the club is the forward line at the moment.

i hope that list is a joke?

how many goals has mcevoy kicked in his life? goddard is not a forward. never has been. steven has 0 AFL games to his name. Kosi is... well... Kosi... Schenider needs to just get a kick.

I mean there is a difference between optimism and being positive and complete delusion. look at that top 10 list again and tell me the saints look like getting someone in it any time soon unless we trade for someone.

id take fev anyday but no way he will leave carlton.

but there coming through is the point, some wont make it some will, no need to throw away a lot picks and money in a area that I believe is probably our best depth/development area, when the midfield and backline need more attention.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We just keep recruiting midfielders...and when we have enough midfielders we recruit some more. A side with a gun midfield will kick enough goals.

West Coast premiers 06....they had nothing.

Cam Mooney kicked 70 odd last year and the thug is a complete dud. A good midfield will make an average forward a good one.

Forget about Fev,the bloke is a joke.

Bring back the Lockett era
gooner
Club Player

I've been worried about this for the last few years. Not neccessarily so short of forwards but we lack a dominant FF. Kosi has shown he is better when allowed to roam and ruck.

Not that he is the answer to this but I liked the look of Ferguson from what I saw. A strong mark.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:We just keep recruiting midfielders...and when we have enough midfielders we recruit some more. A side with a gun midfield will kick enough goals.

West Coast premiers 06....they had nothing.

Cam Mooney kicked 70 odd last year and the thug is a complete dud. A good midfield will make an average forward a good one.
Forget about Fev,the bloke is a joke.
some truth to that. I still dont rate Mooney.

“Yeah….nah””
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote:Timmy Boyle all the way, good player, we should try and get him for a third rounder if possible, maybe second if we have to but no more.
He could kick a good 20-30 goals a year and take a bit of attention away from Roo as well as provide a target when both Roo and Kosi are elsewhere.
Nooo way... He really battles, had one good year but the side was struggling will never have another good year....

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

anyone notice anything about the top 10 goal kickers on the list?

only one of them is from a team in the top 2.

and even that player is a wingman.

a few years ago we had FG/Riewoldt and Milne amongst the top goal scorers in the land.

and we didn't win a premiership.

I think we need at least a decoy FF, like lynch, who can sit the goal square and contribute his 50 to 60 goals a year, but the coach don't see it like that.

our forwards are on the wing, our FP gets 5 of his 15 possessions in the d50, and the HFF are cruising teh backlines.

so be it, as long as we win.

as for cameron mooney, he's pretty much a decoy FF, for Geelongs midfield a la brisbane 01-04.

Lynch just sat in teh goal square, rarely ventured outside the F50, and the midfield rained goals.

now the midfield is less talented, luke power and simon black, are pretty much all thats left from akers, voss, lappin, johnson, et al. so the team has adapted to the talent thats available with JB playing up the ground, and bradshaw (when not injured) as the decoy FF.

heck it worked for carlton and North, with Sticks and Carey, with the likes pearce and longmire sitting in teh goal square or the bench.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

A forward line consisting of....

Steven/Eddy Riewoldt Armitage
Schneider Koschitzke Milne

....would be extremely potent

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mooney is a decoy and kicked 70 goals last year and also a dud. Where do we get these decoys and duds. Another underating of other players and overating ours.

I think if we did get Boyle though we would have a real decoy and dud.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Quixote wrote:Roy Schnieder was recruited to fill this void.

Has been a bit unlucky with injuries, and form was patchy.
for all those expecting more , that has been his career throughout

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Mooney is a decoy and kicked 70 goals last year and also a dud. Where do we get these decoys and duds. Another underating of other players and overating ours.

I think if we did get Boyle though we would have a real decoy and dud.
Justin Plapp is better than Mooney

Bring back the Lockett era
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

We need HFF's who bag a few, and few more from our mids. And we'll be ok.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Tonnes of forward options...I agree we need a FB post-maxy though. If Big Fish, Blake or even Gwilt move in to the role, we've just robber Peter to pay Paul on our backline...not confident we'll ever see the good ol' Moose again. Sob.