Kerr...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

CJ + Pick 10-16.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Maybe there might be a benefactor out there who bleeds RW &B who can tip in around $200k to help us along? :twisted:

ummmmmm it's not about not having the cash it's about not having the salary cap room, and the saints aren't cheating scum like some so no.

First Rnd and monty YES anything more then NO

JeffDunne

Did someone suggest we trade a first round pick! :shock:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

yep I suggested a first round draft pick.

Kerr is a top 20 player in teh competition.

he is far better than nick stevens, and only marginally behind Judd.

probably comparable with Lenny Hayes, maybe a bit better, bit worse.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

I wasn't talking about you Dan.

It was directed at the people that criticised previous decisions along this line.

However Dan, I am surprised that given your position on other players you'd entertain the prescription fiddler.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

again your all paying too much attention to hutchy !!! i can tell you without a doubt Kerr will stay in WA if hes chasing a new home he would look to FREO . Kerr is very much a home body and he would not leave his family in perth for anything we have got more chance of getting Brown then kerr
.... plus the eagles are not going to let their best midfeilder go ...again....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
spert
Saintsational Legend

We need to go after another big bodied backman and a half forward before midfielders.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I wasn't talking about you Dan.

It was directed at the people that criticised previous decisions along this line.

Yes Kerr is obviously no where near the player that Brooks or Watts are...... :roll:

One has proven ability...the others the much vaunted 'potential"....

Anyway...it was not so much the decision to trade ...as the results gained by the trade.

Recent history had the Saints early this millenium trading very well...then dismally for several years before doing quite ok the last two years.

You can trade picks for players...BUT if you do....you have to get it right....and get appropriate value for what you are giving up.

If you trade a low draft pick then you had defintaley beter get it right.

Now in the main I leen to getting kids...but if there is a genuinely good deal for a player of the type that you really need then you have to look at it. But you must get the price right.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 15 Jul 2008 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rexy
SS Life Member

Melbourne made a huge play for Judd last year, would Kerr fit their Marquee player category? If so it could set the eagles up for a Natinui Rich double, add that to the likes of Masten Selwood etc and they will have a good midfield again in 3 years.

Maybe this year?
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I wish people would stop saying "let's get this player or that player" every five minutes. For sure he'd be a great player to have in our side BUT we'd have to do better than giving up our first pick (probably have to throw in Monti as well and then some).
We also don't have the room under our salary cap to be able to afford him so we'd either have to offload someone (Dal Santo or Kosi perhaps - I damn well hope not!) or else we'd risk losing players who are coming out of contract this year.
In addition to all of this, after we trade away our draft picks, in a couple of years half the people on this site would be carrying on about "why don't we get any good kids out of the draft?".
Let's keep our picks and develop our own Daniel Kerr.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I wasn't talking about you Dan.

However Dan, I am surprised that given your position on other players you'd entertain the prescription fiddler.
You dont make decisions in a vaccum.

Again, we ARE NOT St Kilda at the same point of 2004 - even 2003 we are in a position IMO where we have a good core of 24/25 yr olds then a GAP then Armitage, Eddy, Geary, Allen, McEvoy. We are about to lose Gehrig, Harvey, Max and Hayes is 28.

Given this for me we have 2 choices.

1. Bottom out (unlikely given the Gold Coast draft of the next 30 yrs...)
2. Build around our core and HOPE we can bridge the gap between them and the next tier in age/skill quickly for a shot at a flag in the next 3yrs.

Hence Kerr. 24, immediate quality in midfield depth (where the games won nowadays lets face it)

Its a tricky position that we'll have to navigate over the next 3 years or more.

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

If we can't dream... what else is there in life? Always good to hear people's views on topics.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Ok, I can see both sides here. What if he was in the draft, would you draft him with a 1st rounder?

End of debate AFAIAC :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I still think Kerr will end up a Blue...

My conspicay theory is that Judd had a Pratt paper bag before his Weagles season finished....and i reckon Kerrr will have done a deal already too..

However this year the Blues have less to trade....
Fev an Eagle???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Ok, I can see both sides here. What if he was in the draft, would you draft him with a 1st rounder?

End of debate AFAIAC :wink:
EXCEPT he doesn't come with a first round draft pick's salary of 100K
He would have to be on 500K+ which is a whole different problem in managing your salary cap issues.

It's one of the problems Carlton is going to have to confront in the next 2-3 years when all tehir first round draft paicks come up for contract negotiations.
They are going to be chased by every other Club thus pushing up the price to keep
Waite
Walker
Murphy
Gibbs
Kreuzer

let alone the peripheral 'up and comers'
Betts
Fisher
etc.

With $1,000,000+ to Judd and 750K for Fev, they are going to have all sorts of problems (I hope)

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

ok, salary cap issues aside, coz if we can't fit him, it's a moot point.

We have posters arguing if we should trade a 1st round for him.

Let's take salary issues out of the argument (F*** I hate logic :wink: )... If he was in the draft and still available when our turn came, would you draft him?

If your answer is yes, then the whole argument about trading 1st round picks is null and void.

Kachow!

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Kerr for a first round pick and a high end GOP?

Definitely.

santazzi
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:Kerr is trouble, and he's an idiot

but he is as good as cousins and only marginally behind Judd.

given his age, let collingwood or someone else have cousins, if the price is right (BIG IF)

I'd grab kerr.

5 to 10 years left in him.

Also depends on if we get in a bidding war with another club, which i would hate to be in.

we must
1. pursuade WCE its worth trading with us
2. Pay Kerr somehwere in excess of 500k p/a

2 isn't much of an issue, 200k odd will be released if harvey retires, and another swag if gehrig goes, plus I think this year or next year lenny goes into the veterans category with max.
Im pretty sure we can scroung 450k to 500k or so. (this would or could be blow out of the water if the swans offer 800k or something stupid like that)

1 satisfying WCE.

they will want a player of equal stature to Kerr plus a couple of draft picks.
A lot of folks NOW have us finishing between 5 and 10. thats a middle ranking round 1 pick + a player of quality. I'd ask the players how the felt about moving, IF a top ranking player WANTED to move west, maybe, alternatively moving to a side with a top 3 draft pick.

Kerr would cost 2 round 1 draft picks (one in the top 3 or 4) OR a mid rank round 1 draft pick and a player of quality (and no, they don't want mcqualter, gwilt, charlie garnder or demster, even as a bundle)

the 3rd scenario is we win the flag and say who frak needs kerr

:lol:
Dan I like your 3rd option whether we win a flag or finish last. We do not need Kerr. We use our picks to choose youngsters and develop them,,,,,,,,

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Kerr for a first round pick and a high end GOP?

Definitely.
second that.

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:ok, salary cap issues aside, coz if we can't fit him, it's a moot point.

We have posters arguing if we should trade a 1st round for him.

Let's take salary issues out of the argument (F*** I hate logic :wink: )... If he was in the draft and still available when our turn came, would you draft him?

If your answer is yes, then the whole argument about trading 1st round picks is null and void.

Kachow!
I've got no problem in trading first round picks for ESTSABLISHED GOOD PLAYERS.

How you could possibly compare trading a first round pick for Kerr/Judd with trading a first round pick for Brooks/Watts is beyond me. IMHO it's like comparing apples with watermelons.

On the one hand you are giving up draft picks for players who have proven over time that they are capable of not only playing AFL football but have shown repeatedly that they are able to influence and dominate games.
In the other scenario you are trading away first round draft picks on players other Clubs have taken and found not worth teh picks yuo are prepared to trade.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
n1ck wrote:Kerr for a first round pick and a high end GOP?

Definitely.
second that.
Not in a million years.

He is a really troubled person who we just don't need near our kids.

Far too ill-disciplined both on and off the field - we don't need it.

Let Carlton have him.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Kerr is the next Messiah, and would win us a flag.

We can appont the great man manager as his mentor :twisted:

You'd have to have rocks in your head not to look into it.

In fact, I'd give up 1st round and 2 gop's

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Kerr is the next Messiah, and would win us a flag.

We can appont the great man manager as his mentor :twisted:

You'd have to have rocks in your head not to look into it.

In fact, I'd give up 1st round and 2 gop's

Okaaaaaaayyyyyyyy (stepping back very slowly while watching the World Youth Forum footage on the news and realising where you get the MESSIAH thing from)

Kerr is the loosest cannon playing now that Benny is gone.

Good thing I know you're only joking pal.

:shock: :D :lol: :shock:
Last edited by Iceman234 on Tue 15 Jul 2008 11:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

mick13
Club Player

GOP?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:GOP?
Jack Dyer's Good Ordinary Player