Gilbo v Rioli

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Top4King
Club Player

Gilbo v Rioli

best test for Gilbo this w/end.
rioli after a poor game last week will look to spring out of the blocks like a jackrabbit.
rioli has a few moves and is good on his feet [FIND: Davis]
whoever wins this battle wins the war.
if gilbo runs with him and just pressurises the little guy early he will have him for the whole game.
if rioli gets around, under and through in the 1stQ Gilbo will need to come off for a think.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I would think Williams is much more dangerous and also better suited to Gilbo but who knows apart from the players and RL.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo on Buddy. Gilbo is 22 and 194 cm.

what are we protecting him from? why we treating Gilbo like a baby?

Rioli is 18 FFS. If we are worried about him we are in big trouble. i mean hes a good young talent for sure. but sheesh. are we a serious team or not?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 17 Jul 2008 7:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top4King
Club Player

rioli is their weakest link in the forward line.
he's small, he's not as quick as leon and he doesn't have a lot of poke but he fits through holes and squirms kicks through.
gilbo is our weakest link across the back. he runs like a bit of a girl and is a bit unco.

Top4King
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Gilbo on Buddy
mhahahahahah tickticktickbOOM!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:rioli is their weakest link in the forward line.
he's small, he's not as quick as leon and he doesn't have a lot of poke but he fits through holes and squirms kicks through.
gilbo is our weakest link across the back. he runs like a bit of a girl and is a bit unco.
so what are we persisting with him for? gilbo is either up to it or hes trade bait. 22, 194cm. no more excuses for gilbo. we cant carry him anymore. he cant keep hiding. hes a mature player now. no longer a kid. 22 is old enough.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 17 Jul 2008 8:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top4King
Club Player

totally con.
i'd have jonesy in the back half and he would screw cyril like a rat.

although having said all that if it is insisted that gilbo goes with rioli he has to man up i mean FFS! *grrr* run with the little cornholer dont stand there and expect him to feed the ball to you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:totally con.

although having said all that if it is insisted that gilbo goes with rioli he has to man up i mean FFS! *grrr* run with the little cornholer dont stand there and expect him to feed the ball to you.
CJ is playing well at HF why would we move him. Everyone wants to move players. Play them in their best position and they will play well. Experiment and you are looking for trouble.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:totally con.

Gilbo needs to pull his finger from his rear.

Top4King
Club Player

Gilbo needs to do something, like man TF up for christ's sake and smother an opponent.
even if it's a run-with role just get into the face of the opponent and do the best you CAN! none of this losing-your-god-damn-feet business!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why would a 6'4" play on a 5'10 forward crumber.......hang on, it happened last week and did NOT work.....

Gilbo a shoe in to take Williams, and use his hieght to spoil.

I would suggest the disciplined McQualter to shut down Rioli as he did with Murpy last game

Top4King
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Why would a 6'4" play on a 5'10 forward crumber.......hang on, it happened last week and did NOT work.....

Gilbo a shoe in to take Williams, and use his hieght to spoil.

I would suggest the disciplined McQualter to shut down Rioli as he did with Murpy last game
good point. i was just putting it out there as a run-with

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I would think Williams is much more dangerous and also better suited to Gilbo but who knows apart from the players and RL.
I like that match-up. Dempster could play on Rioli !!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

"Gilbo" has one small problem - he can't play. If he's on Franklin, Freddy Fanning's record will go! (It was also against the Saints).

stinger
Saintsational Legend

:roll: ...like i said on another thread....gotta have someone to bag....so the poster can feel good about himself......can't play you say...can you...why aren't you in the side instead of him then..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jackal
Club Player

Sorry guys, I have not been watching many Saints games this year due to other commitments and a lack of foxtel but....

...last year he was our most promising young player and does a few things that are fantastic.

1)Tackles hard and has 2nd and 3rd efforts.
2)backs himself and runs the lines, kicks hit the target (a few shockers last week though) and can kick goals.

He's exactly what we need in the team and is capable of playing in an ultimately successful side. We are a much better team with him in it and it gives more freedom to BJ and Fisher our two A graders down back!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

jackal wrote:Sorry guys, I have not been watching many Saints games this year due to other commitments and a lack of foxtel but....

...last year he was our most promising young player and does a few things that are fantastic.

1)Tackles hard and has 2nd and 3rd efforts.
2)backs himself and runs the lines, kicks hit the target (a few shockers last week though) and can kick goals.

He's exactly what we need in the team and is capable of playing in an ultimately successful side. We are a much better team with him in it and it gives more freedom to BJ and Fisher our two A graders down back!

good call....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gilbo was may favourite player last year. im not giving up on him. im not writing him off. i rate him.

thats why im saying. stand up son. you are on buddy. so get pumped up for it.

villasaint
Club Player

you have got to be kidding saying he runs liek a girl. he runs in straight line kicks the ball long and one of the best tacklers at the club. that is one of the worst comments i have seen on this forum

villasaint
Club Player

if you are questioning his position in the team and as a future long term player at the club you know nothing

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

villasaint wrote:you have got to be kidding saying he runs liek a girl. he runs in straight line kicks the ball long and one of the best tacklers at the club. that is one of the worst comments i have seen on this forum
You're right, an outrageous comment and an insult - to all the girls who kick the ball in the air and not along the ground!

Top4King
Club Player

may we put this thread to bed?
the match-up is poor and rioli would only kick three on him in the first quarter anyway.

Saints in 20??
Club Player

"Runs like a girl" is about the level of "he poos his pants", but Stinger its idiotic to say that you can only criticise if you can play better. i hate to see that written, this is a forum, not an ex-player's hang-out

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Perfectionist you should really adopt some sort of quality control on your posts...is your alias a play on words like calling Red heads Bluey?

Gilbo... can't play?
Perfectionist... can't post.

Seriously Gilbo is still finding touch after being out of the team for a significant period. You probably seeing now the struggle that blokes that are later converts to AFL have when coming back after a lengthy time off. BJ is a great example of a bloke who has grown up with the game & was able to return to good footy almost immediately after a serious injury.

Gilbo (Russell) will be a very good player for us for a long time. Let him take Williams and Dempster can take Rioli.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saints in 20?? wrote:"Runs like a girl" is about the level of "he poos his pants", but Stinger its idiotic to say that you can only criticise if you can play better. i hate to see that written, this is a forum, not an ex-player's hang-out
frankly ..i couldn't give a half eaten fat rats clacker about what you hate or don't ate ffs.....fw.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: