Want to know why our games and quarters are so up and down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I think he was being sarcastic.....

What? Who? Me? Never!

I have this little voice in my head that tells me that this oculd be another "trojan" thread... and I was saving everyone time.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
loris
Saintsational Legend

Saw Goddard give Dal Santo a spray in the 4th Quarter on saturday. BJ had to leave his man to attempt to coral a WC player coming down the wing into the half forward line. He pointed out to Dal Santo to cover his man as he ran off. Oooooooophs Dal didn't (maybe he didn't hear him or see BJ's arm waving antics).
The opponent Godddard had left ended up with the ball from a pass and Dal arrives in late to stand the mark. :oops: :oops: Goddard went ballistic at Dal after the play went on. Dal just 'trotted on' without looking back at Goddard. Also he did a bit of unnecessary arm waving at Gilbert to pick up a player on one occasion on Saturday.

For all the talk of Goddard being such a wonderful kick. Gee there were times on Saturday when his kicks were wide of the mark when he switched play accross the ground. One didn't come off and the rebound resulted in a goal and another luckily only resulted in a point.

A couple of times in our forward moves (once to roo) BJ's kicks were too far wide of the player on the lead and they couldn't quite get to the mark and spillaages resulted in WC getting the ball away. Roo droped one off his chest from Goggard in 3rd quarter, but he had to sprint metres to try to get to it. And I hear the bloke sitting behind me criticise roo for dropping a chest mark. No the fault lay with Goddard, he was on his own when taking the kick and his kick was not accurate enough....... a lesser player than roo would never have even made the space to get near the ball to at least touch it. Then Goddard had the temerity to do his head shaking antics. I hope it was at himself for his misjudged kick and not a roo's endeavour.

Goddard still does a lot of arm waving and posturing at team mates. Sometimes they should maybe give it back to him, especially when he lets the team down with giving frustrating free kicks away on the opposition's forward line...happens too often for my liking.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I would much rather have the "pathetic" BJ....and "pathetic" Max who both give a stuff about beating their opponent and being annoyed when they are beaten....
Why would you call them pathetic? Particularly for Max, that's quite disgusting.
Well as you are onto fishing, do you normally catch flathead or trout?
Well if you're going to call players pathetic, you shouldn't be surprised if someone calls you on it.

Particularly players such as Max Hudghton.

Get fair dinkum.
Sorry Rodger "Bait" Fox....all but you have obviously inderstood that my post was having a go at the person ie you, that was implying that BJ actions were pathetic.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 29 Jul 2008 4:37pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Actually, I've been caught with my pants down. :oops:

The coomment was supposed to be on the Game Plan thread. Sorry guys and gals.

WJ42 = Cabbage.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Actually, I've been caught with my pants down. :oops:

Thats ok...I think that was our game plan against the Eagles...

markp
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Goddard still does a lot of arm waving and posturing at team mates. Sometimes they should maybe give it back to him, especially when he lets the team down with giving frustrating free kicks away on the opposition's forward line...happens too often for my liking.

On average he has given away just under 1 1/2 free kicks a game this season.... nothing to panic about surely.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
loris wrote: Goddard still does a lot of arm waving and posturing at team mates. Sometimes they should maybe give it back to him, especially when he lets the team down with giving frustrating free kicks away on the opposition's forward line...happens too often for my liking.

On average he has given away just under 1 1/2 free kicks a game this season.... nothing to panic about surely.
especially playing down back where its impossible to not give away a free as a backman

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
markp
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
markp wrote:

especially playing down back where its impossible to not give away a free as a backman
Very true... and I didn't like BJ giving directions back in the days when he was on struggle street, but I reckon he's just about earned his stripes.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I would much rather have the "pathetic" BJ....and "pathetic" Max who both give a stuff about beating their opponent and being annoyed when they are beaten....
Why would you call them pathetic? Particularly for Max, that's quite disgusting.
Well if you're going to call players pathetic, you shouldn't be surprised if someone calls you on it.

Get fair dinkum.
Sorry Rodger "Bait" Fox....all but you have obviously inderstood that my post was having a go at the person ie you, that was implying that BJ actions were pathetic.
Why would you personally attack me?

I thought that was taboo and everyone got all upset when people did it?

Am I meant to go and whinge to the mods now about it or something?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Get fair dinkum.
Why would you personally attack me?

I thought that was taboo and everyone got all upset when people did it?

Am I meant to go and whinge to the mods now about it or something?
You starting fishing for a reponse...so I started talking fishing rather than respond to your bait.

If you want to go to mods...feel free...but it is not my style.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
You starting fishing for a reponse...so I started talking fishing rather than respond to your bait.

If you want to go to mods...feel free...but it is not my style.
I wasn't fishing at all.

I simply responded to a post which I disagreed with.

Giving away 50s and free kicks in defence in a tight game is not leadership.

Not sure how that's fishing to be honest, but each to their own I suppose.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:We have a top 4 list, and they are not being coached well.

I think he was being sarcastic..... the top 4 list comment is about as meaningless a comment as you can make.
I cracked up as soon as i saw a reference to a top 4 list

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Personally I think its fitness issue. If they have a solid work out in the first half & are playing ok , they run out of legs in the second & vice versa if they are playing like crap & seem totally out of the game they to find something & finish stongly.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:Personally I think its fitness issue. If they have a solid work out in the first half & are playing ok , they run out of legs in the second & vice versa if they are playing like crap & seem totally out of the game they to find something & finish stongly.
I think it is a more a fitness in the head issue....rather than of the body.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Did anyone mention / notice Gilbert's stupid and blatant push in the back in the 4th?

BJ was frustrated, and I don't blame him given the umpiring on the day.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Was just in the car and listening to SEN. I think it was Doran who was interviewing a filth palyer.

Asked him about supporters percepions...

You beat Geelong but lost on the weekend, how can you play so well last week, then get beaten etc.

BAsically replied that they all go out to try their best every week. Also mentioned that supporters forget that no matter how hard you try, sometimes you can only play as well as the opposition let you play.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
. Also mentioned that supporters forget that no matter how hard you try, sometimes you can only play as well as the opposition let you play.
That is true. It is for eaxmple why I think the Pies go well against the cats, as their style of play interferes with out the cats prefer to play.

However I do not think that this hypothesis is that relavnt to the Saints ?WC game were we just sucked big time: poor skills, silly free kicks, clangers, lack of accountability etc etc. Now sometimes yes that is a response to the opposition but in the WC game I would thinknot really.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

on what basis? His explanation on Cats was they Cats had had a few average weeks, and that Piess all clicked across the board.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Want to know why our games and quarters are so up and do

saintsRrising wrote:This is an extract from an article on Goddard.

Tired of what he felt was the overly offensive style of some of his senior players, Lyon made a statement by axing Nick Dal Santo and Stephen Milne.

It was a reality check for many Saints, but the right move according to Goddard.

"Ross definitely had to make a stance somewhere," Goddard said.

"Those blokes weren't buying into the team rules and playing their part in the team.
"They have copped it on the chin and responded really well.

"It hit home, definitely; not spurred everyone on, but it was a real reality check to where everyone was.

"Not enough blokes were buying in. We eventually stripped it back and went back to the basics . . . head down and contested footy, tackling, forward-50 pressure, areas that we focused on.

"Everything evolves from that."

Not enough blokes were buying in....Geeze, that says it all does it not.

What hope do we have to see good TEAM performances when individual's are out there doing what they want?

What BJ has basically outlined is that players were doing what they wanted rather than playing team football.

How can you possibly deliver as a team when some parts of that team are playing to their own set of rules?

Well that was last July...

It would seem to me that since we started playing as a TEAM....and COMMITTED to doing what the Coach wanted...that our fortunes turned around.

We have been a very good TEAM ever since.

Just check out our win/loss ratio since...we have lost very few games....with the loss to WC being the main aberration.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I took it as the game plan being in place even then yet some of the senior players were not "buying into it" (following instructions).

Now it seems as though everyone has bought into the way Ross wants us to play.

In saying that, if the coach's message isn't getting through to his players you can only blame the coach as the buck stops with him. That's exactly why coaches are employed.

We are still without a doubt a defensively-minded side but now with added confidence that success brings, we are on the front foot and really pressing sides/getting at them.

Game plan hasn't changed, attitude has.

Towards the back-end of last season (even during Ross' first season) we were seeing glimpses of what we're seeing now. Problem was we'd only see them in quarters/halves at a time and rarely for four quarters.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:

Towards the back-end of last season (even during Ross' first season) we were seeing glimpses of what we're seeing now. Problem was we'd only see them in quarters/halves at a time and rarely for four quarters.
While the gameplan has been tinkered with (ie less corralling and more immediate tackling)...I agreed that the main change is attitude which has then flowed through to work-rate.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
OLB wrote:

While the gameplan has been tinkered with (ie less corralling and more immediate tackling)...I agreed that the main change is attitude which has then flowed through to work-rate.
I guess we are pressing sides higher up the park/setting our zone up higher now which is important. We're more aggressive now due to this and have become hunters as opposed to waiting for the opposition to come at us.

I think we've seen this during periods throughout Ross' tenure, even in his first year, but for reasons, be it fitness and work-rate or players not understanding the mindset, we weren't able to persist with it for four quarters.

I can just imagine footballers struggling with the idea of "so we're supposed to have a defensive mindset, yet this bloke is telling us to go forward and attack the opposition?"

Maybe Ross wasn't getting his point across previously but his men have come to terms with it now it seems.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
OLB wrote:

I guess we are pressing sides higher up the park/setting our zone up higher now which is important. We're more aggressive now due to this and have become hunters as opposed to waiting for the opposition to come at us.

I think we've seen this during periods throughout Ross' tenure, even in his first year, but for reasons, be it fitness and work-rate or players not understanding the mindset, we weren't able to persist with it for four quarters.

I can just imagine footballers struggling with the idea of "so we're supposed to have a defensive mindset, yet this bloke is telling us to go forward and attack the opposition?"

Maybe Ross wasn't getting his point across previously but his men have come to terms with it now it seems.
I agree OLB - I also saw glimpses of this style in 07 but the inability to put it together consistently.

What we are getting now is players with the penny fully dropping and via the results...some REAL confirmation that this game plan CAN win footy games and just mayeb stand up in finals.

Long, long way to go...but its exciting to see it.

“Yeah….nah””
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

This game style is not a "can" win style. It is a "does" win style.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
matrix
Saintsational Legend

f*** me thats twice this week ive started reading a post and got thru over a page before ive realised its from 2000 and bloody 8.

:x