Chronic injuries

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Chronic injuries

Promise last post for tonight, but I was thinking, with our list of players who seem to be chronically injured, X, Kosi even Hamill when he played etc, does anyone think that due to our poor previous player management over the last few years, that this has contributed to their on going problems.

If we had had proper player management in the past, that these players would now be as fully fit as possible and not continuosly injured.

Look at the teams with good player management, their players are on the park consistantly.

I do believe it is the consensus here that bad injury management has cost us a premiership.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

No, none of the above. We're just hexed! I blame John Howard.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

not sure if there is any sense behind this suggestion but could it be because we overplayed 18-19 year olds in 2001-04 and thus they broke down?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Kosi ran into a players elbow
Hamill ran into steve Johnstons hip after a grain fade (career over)
Max......well.....has ever strung 22 together ever?

Kosi also fainted after not drinking enough...

We have some injuries we cant control and others that were a little mystifying...

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

x and kosi suffered from being pushed too hard too early

as a result their bodies became very very fragile...

a prolonged rest is what will do the trick

now X hasn't had this but with Kosi got it due constant impact injuries, that's why he is now on the park and x is not

JeffDunne

I agree with skeptic.

We expected kids to play crash & bash football against teams like the Brisbane Lions.

loris
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:x and kosi suffered from being pushed too hard too early

now X hasn't had this but with Kosi got it due constant impact injuries, that's why he is now on the park and x is not
Kosi's woes (back problem) started when when that thug full forward from West Coast Eagles (can't recall his name...looked like he wore old fashioned Brylcream in his hair) crashed into his back at Subi. It was a real mongrel act. :evil:

loris
Saintsational Legend

With both X and Raphael constantly being injured and re-injured so easily. I've often wondered if it might have something to do with their inherited genes or lack of good nutrition in younger developing years?

JeffDunne

loris wrote: . . . or lack of good nutrition in younger developing years?
WTF? :shock:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:With both X and Raphael constantly being injured and re-injured so easily. I've often wondered if it might have something to do with their inherited genes or lack of good nutrition in younger developing years?
Yes as they are brothers it does make you wonder if there is some other factor besides just bad luck at play. I don't know about your second possible causal theory though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:No, none of the above. We're just hexed! I blame John Howard.

no it was that pr!ck in the n t who pointed the bone at us ...because the club wouldn't let nicky play in an aboriginal side against the bombers.....john kelly was his name.......been all down(up?) hill since....... :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by stinger on Tue 29 Jul 2008 6:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:x and kosi suffered from being pushed too hard too early

Thank back to those years..we had NO CHOICE but to play the kids..our injury woes from 2001-2003 meant that players like Dal, X, Goose etc got blooded through neccsessity not cos we were tanking lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
perfectionist wrote:No, none of the above. We're just hexed! I blame John Howard.

no it was that pr!ck in the n t whop pointed the bone at us ...because the club wouldn't let nicky play in an aboriginal side against the bombers.....john kelly was his name.......been all down(up?) hill since....... :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Stinger......Wasn't there an attempt to find him some years ago and get him to lift that curse? Obviously the search was unsuccesful or he refused :( :(

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
stinger wrote:

no it was that pr!ck in the n t whop pointed the bone at us ...because the club wouldn't let nicky play in an aboriginal side against the bombers.....john kelly was his name.......been all down(up?) hill since....... :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Stinger......Wasn't there an attempt to find him some years ago and get him to lift that curse? Obviously the search was unsuccesful or he refused :( :(

....don't think it was followed through.........i had a mate who knew him......buit he has since left the terrirory....kelly is still about though......

Saints in 20??
Club Player

a load of bollocks

What a load of garbage.
i could name a dozen other players that started out their AFL career early and hard and have managed.
Look at Judd, considered too risky for the saints, with 2 suspect shoulders and he has done ok. Was he wrapped in cotton wool? His O.P. probably happened due to over-training.
I remember Matty Lappin had just about the most immature body seen in the AFL and he also avoided long term injury.
Interestingly a study was done in the English Premier League and they found not only were hamstrings the most common injury, but that black players had a greater risk of this injury (due to more anteriorally tilted pelvises on average.)
A high impact injury can occur at any time, at any age and have the same affect on a young player as an old. As Max and Fraser can see, medial gastrocnemius injuries occur with greater frequencies with age.
Blame past coaches all you like, its nothing to do with throwing them in too young.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: a load of bollocks

Saints in 20?? wrote:What a load of garbage.
i could name a dozen other players that started out their AFL career early and hard and have managed.
Look at Judd, considered too risky for the saints, with 2 suspect shoulders and he has done ok. Was he wrapped in cotton wool? His O.P. probably happened due to over-training.
I remember Matty Lappin had just about the most immature body seen in the AFL and he also avoided long term injury.
Interestingly a study was done in the English Premier League and they found not only were hamstrings the most common injury, but that black players had a greater risk of this injury (due to more anteriorally tilted pelvises on average.)
A high impact injury can occur at any time, at any age and have the same affect on a young player as an old. As Max and Fraser can see, medial gastrocnemius injuries occur with greater frequencies with age.
Blame past coaches all you like, its nothing to do with throwing them in too young.

judd???....ffs.....he has had the same operation as ball......

and for the record.....we were still going to draft him....we got conned is all......