Do we have we stars coming thru??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Do we have we stars coming thru??

Over the years of being a Saints fan one aspect I have always loved is "spotting" the talent and in watching iy emerge.

Back when the Reseves played prior to the seniors I would always catch at least the second half (work often prevented me getting there any earlier) and the whole game if I could. The ceasing of playing reserves prior to games has made this harder and rarer for me.

When you watched a "youngun" early on there is often that certain something that just stands out and shouts future gun/star when you watch them.

Back in time I remember watching Spider as a gangly kid in the reserves at Kardinia Park do some things that tall man had no right to..and in that one game I thought to myself he will be a future star.

Winmar was another, though when he join us he was not a kid. But in that very first intra club that he played for us he just screamed class.

etc etc...

Of our current younger crop Steven is one such player. has not down a lot, but there is just that X factor that makes one think he will be a ripper.

Big Mac has also shown moments, but mainly with his marking.

But all in all we seem to lack "future stars" at present.

However of course some players take a while to build and show their real class. Think Lenny Hayes, or Sam Fisher.

So of our younger group are there any that excite you as being "special"?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 03 Aug 2008 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

geary will be a beauty in a few years time

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

None are special.

We need some awesome drafting at years end.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy, Steven, Armitage.

All three have what it takes to be stars, it's just a matter of how they go about their footy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Only in our eyes.

I too have enjoyed watching some of our special players develop and excite us only to have us ultimately as a team or club let us down. Hopefully what we do see come through is the development of a champion team.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:McEvoy, Steven, Armitage.

All three have what it takes to be stars, it's just a matter of how they go about their footy.
I might be in the minority here.

Armo may well become a star. However to date I have not been struck that he will be "special".

I think he has shown enough to suggest that he can become a regular player. But I have not really seen that special spark yet that makes think....yes!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Otiman wrote:McEvoy, Steven, Armitage.

...Armo may well become a star....
Maybe on Dancing with the Stars, but never as a footballer. Can't run, can't kick and so can't play.

As to the others, McEvoy has played one game and Steven (Jack) none. Certs to be stars on that basis. Oh, brother! Bedroom walls are littered with photos of heros who, alas, never had any football ability. Just look at Britney Spears!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

[quote="perfectionistMaybe on Dancing with the Stars, but never as a footballer. Can't run, can't kick and so can't play.

As to the others, McEvoy has played one game and Steven (Jack) none. Certs to be stars on that basis. Oh, brother! Bedroom walls are littered with photos of heros who, alas, never had any football ability. Just look at Britney Spears![/quote]

Ummm is it that the theme of the thread players not having played very much but just show something speacial that makes people think that they will make it.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:None are special.

We need some awesome drafting at years end.

I agree, thats the problem teams like us have, we wont be low enough to get a early draft pick and not in the position to really challange for the flag.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who thinks any of our u23 players are likely to become stars needs their heads checked IMO. One or two might become that, but not on what they've shown so far.

We have some decent youngsters, but nothing on several other clubs.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Interesting conclusions. All players develop at different levels, so who knows?

One positive is that we now have the personell to actually develop players properly.

If we are talking 1st rounders who will have immediate impact, then no. But that doesn't mean that they won't develop into great players. It cuts both ways, in case you haven't noticed with Raph and even Kosi.

Look at Fisher... as an example. Let's not jump the gun just yet.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
makemytime
Club Player

This year is the last year for 1st rounders for the 16 clubs isn't it? or next year? so we better get some good draft picks but i like armo, geary and mcqualter... and jarryd allen will get much more when he matures. st kilda should also look to get a draft pick solely for full back position.

max has been great but hes aging and we need a player now to play along side him and learn from maxy, the fact i don't think we have such a player at the right age is that we've brought in gwilt to this week's game

saintly_safes
Club Player

At present armo is stuggling,doesn't appear to be fit eough & his confidence is down. Must admit , thought he would have done a bit better than he has this season but hes only a kid & has shown that hes got some talent , just needs to get a bit more consistent

saintly_safes
Club Player

Re: Do we have we stars coming thru??

saintsRrising wrote:Over the years of being a Saints fan one aspect I have always loved is "spotting" the talent and in watching iy emerge.

Back when the Reseves played prior to the seniors I would always catch at least the second half (work often prevented me getting there any earlier) and the whole game if I could. The ceasing of playing reserves prior to games has made this harder and rarer for me.

When you watched a "youngun" early on there is often that certain something that just stands out and shouts future gun/star when you watch them.

Back in time I remember watching Spider as a gangly kid in the reserves at Kardinia Park do some things that tall man had no right to..and in that one game I thought to myself he will be a future star.

Winmar was another, though when he join us he was not a kid. But in that very first intra club that he played for us he just screamed class.

etc etc...

Of our current younger crop Steven is one such player. has not down a lot, but there is just that X factor that makes one think he will be a ripper.

Big Mac has also shown moments, but mainly with his marking.

But all in all we seem to lack "future stars" at present.

However of course some players take a while to build and show their real class. Think Lenny Hayes, or Sam Fisher.

So of our younger group are there any that excite you as being "special"?
Havent seen much of McEvoy but what Ive seen appears to be a bit slow , similar to Ferus Watts . Has anybody seen a bit of hin & if so what is your opinion?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

hard to say. players can come from anywhere. look at this brad dalziel bloke.

Three weeks ago, Bradd Dalziell had 32 possessions in his debut AFL game; last night he had two more than that, and got the right spots time and time again, so often that you wondered how he'd ever found the time to cover so much ground. His kicking, through the centre and to Brown, was another reason the Lions could, and probably should have won. How the 21-year-old got through two national and rookie drafts, let alone to No. 52 before Brisbane picked him last November, is a curious thing.

but saints have not found a really good player in years. lets be honest. we have guys that might be good one day..... who knows..... but our last genuine find was sam fisher. no new players and a few that have gone backwards (gilbert, fisher, lenny etc etc). our only top players are dal and roo.

not sure why people on here defend R Lyon to be honest. people crap on about the game plan and other fantasies. Saints are in deep shite in the next 5 years and have gone backwards. the RL "game plan" is as willy wonka would say pure imagination.

Saintgaz
Club Player

Just looking through the Rising Stars and the cupboard is a little bare. Gilbo round 16 last year then back to round 20 2003 for Joey.
So that must say something.

One day it's all got to be worth it.
Right????