Umpires helped their cause

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe

Umpires helped their cause

i dont like blaming the umpires, but i saw about 8 or 9 easy free kicks that were not paid to us... that is the end result for sure. if i was at the ground i think i would have been banned forever as i would have ran out onto the ground and punched one of them in the back of the head

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We got everything early. This is one week we cannot and should not mention umpires.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

We were crap.

strauchanie
Club Player

umpires pretty much favoured us except for late in the last quarter. we are too s*** to blame umpires

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Did the umpires really contribute to the game result or did we just lack heart and effort?

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
Batnoe

On the Bench wrote:Did the umpires really contribute to the game result or did we just lack heart and effort?
thinking about it, probably the second but they did not seem to pay too many free kicks- i guess it was even 14 to 16, but there should have been so many more

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The two biggest problems with the umpiring tonight were the 6-7 times a Collingwood player got the ball and flicked it away to a team mate and Brown pushing Riewoldt in the back every time the ball came near them going completely unnoticed.

That said, if our players had any balls they would have beaten Collingwood's team of scrawny kids easily.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:
On the Bench wrote:Did the umpires really contribute to the game result or did we just lack heart and effort?
thinking about it, probably the second but they did not seem to pay too many free kicks- i guess it was even 14 to 16, but there should have been so many more
When they pay more, people always complain about how stop-start the game is, and why the umpires won't let the game flow.

Thought they didn't do too much wrong, they were more lenient then usual ... didn't favor a particular team.

Batnoe

watching it on tv it seemed that pies had a lot more until i read the stats that i was so even, i just know there were a lot that Roo should have had, and Milne and Gwilt should have had that would have turned the game noticeably,

i did see one where sam fisher should have been pinned in first qtr that wasnt tho so probably even overall

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Re: Umpires helped their cause

Batnoe wrote:i dont like blaming the umpires, but i saw about 8 or 9 easy free kicks that were not paid to us... that is the end result for sure. if i was at the ground i think i would have been banned forever as i would have ran out onto the ground and punched one of them in the back of the head
Sorry but that's farcical. :shock: :roll: :shock:

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Umpires helped their cause

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
Batnoe wrote:i dont like blaming the umpires, but i saw about 8 or 9 easy free kicks that were not paid to us... that is the end result for sure. if i was at the ground i think i would have been banned forever as i would have ran out onto the ground and punched one of them in the back of the head
Sorry but that's farcical. :shock: :roll: :shock:
hate to say it but JPBFC is right.... we had 10-2 in the first and didn't use 'em.

THe worst thing tonight was the ease in which Collingwood rebounded from our 50 and the easy contests were there always seemed to be 3 pies to 1 saint

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Because I won't be watching the replay, can someone tell me whether Nick Riewoldt had his arms punched late in the last quarter which led to their "sealer" or was it a legit punch away?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Free kick count could have been 4 bazillion to six and we still would have lost.

No point in getting a million frees if the resultant kick is to a contest where we are outmarked..or straight to a Collingwood player.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:...No point in getting a million frees if the resultant kick is to a contest where we are outmarked..or straight to a Collingwood player.
True. Any ideas on a solution?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
saint66au wrote:...No point in getting a million frees if the resultant kick is to a contest where we are outmarked..or straight to a Collingwood player.
True. Any ideas on a solution?
Support GC17? Wait for a full rebuild?

goodie
Club Player

The umpiring wasn't great, but I wouldn't blame it for the loss. The only real criticism (apart from McBurney in general) was the treatment of Riewoldt. First thing an umpire's taught at any level, set the tone at the start of the game. Unfortunately the tone tonight did not involve protecting Roo in a marking contest

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

umps didnt change the game
it was down to do or die in the last 10 mins and we failed, then the only way we could get the ball was by cheating so the umps gave frees against us what was fair.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."