Time to get serious about our list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Time to get serious about our list

With players such as Kerr, Brown, Cousins and Didak possibly becoming available the club should look at trading aggressively come seasons end. Here's my take on things...

1. Gram. A very good player when the team is going well and has the ability to run and carry as well as having a long kick on him. Prone to the odd mistake however and sometimes butchers the ball when trying to kick too long or hard. Keep.

2. King. Has had a decent first season at the Saints but looks tested at times and is he the future going forward? Perhaps one more year. Keep??

3. X Clarke. Injury prone player who has enormous ability but has been around since 2002 . Do we persist in the hope that he can remain injury free and deliver the goods. Trade / 1 more season.

5. McEvoy. Played just the 1 game in his debut season and has shown glimpses at Casey. Obviously needs more time to develop as most big men do. Keep.

6. L Fisher. Played only 9 games this season since making his debut in 2003. A handy defender / tagger but seems out of favour at present. Trade / Delist.

7. Hayes. A fierce competitor who is still getting back to his best after serious knee injury. Tough tackling no nonsense type who is always amongst the best players. Keep

8. Hudghton. A veteran of the team now with 221 games under his belt. Has been a wonderful servant but is not getting any younger and is battling with injuries and form. Retire / 1 more season?

9. Gehrig. Was a star in his day and you have to admire the G train for having another crack and his passion for the Saints, but his comeback hasn't been a success and looks all but retired. Retired.

10. Baker. Has been an excellent player over the years but might be coming to the end with injuries and some ridiculous decisions courtesy of the tribunal. Keep??

11. Montagna. Like several others on the list has obvious ability and looks a star when the team is going well. Can we persist with this sort of player any longer. Would attract interest from other clubs. Trade?

12. Riewoldt. Absolute star of the club and competition. Tireless worker who wills himself to every contest. Hopefully one day he can be a premiership captain of the club. Keep.

13. Schneider. Just an average first season after big hype over the summer. Looks to have the ability and should be better next season. Keep.

14. Ball. Tough tackling, courageous, in and under player who always gives his all to the team. Keep.

15. M Gardiner. Played just the 9 games and has shown a bit at times and been terrible at others. Can he get back to his best form and remain injury free. Delist / 1 more season?

16. R Clarke. Played only 35 games and has some ability but appears out of his depth at AFL level. Also prone to injury. Trade / Delist

17. Fiora. No question he has the ability to play AFL but does he have the desire and passion for it? In any case he has had more than enough time at the club. Delist.

18. Goddard. After a relatively slow start to his career has come on leaps and bounds and is an established star of the team. Shows commitment and passion for the cause which you have to admire. Keep.

19. Gilbert. Looks a player and during 2007 looked like a future star of the club, but 2008 has been a difficult year and hopefully will come on in the future. Keep.

20. Armitage. Tough in and under type who has an eye for goal. Seems to be having a tough time under RL but with another pre-season under his belt should establish himself next season. Keep.

21. Ferguson. Re-drafted after being delisted but for what? Only been given 2 games this season and has perhaps run out of time. Delist.

22. Birss. Played just 6 games in 2008 after a decent 2007 season. Knows how to kick a goal and might be worth another season. Keep??

23. Koschitzke. Hugely disappointing 2008 from Kosi. Can take a grab and kick a goal but is neither a ruckman or FF. Trade??

24. Dempster. Played 16 games in 2008 and is obviously respected highly by RL. Has shown a bit at times but not nearly enough to be a fixture in the team. Delist / 1 more season.

25. S Fisher. Has performed a sterling job down back and provides excellent run and carry out of the backline. Too valuable to be playing FB and should be freed up to play midfield or even a go up forward. Keep.

26. Dal Santo. Highly skilled player who at his best is a star of the competition however the difference between his best and worst is poles apart. At times looks disinterested and not up for the contest. Trade?

27. Blake. Had a more than decent 2008 and always does his best for the team. Versatile player who has earnt his place on the list. Keep.

28. C Gardiner. Played 8 games this season but hasn't shown a whole lot and questions remain whether he is upto AFL standard. Delist / 1 more season?

29. Rix. Honest battler who has featured just once in 2008. Useful VFL player but not upto AFL standard. Delist.

30. Howard. Played only the 2 games however none this season. Hasn't shown enough. Delist.

31. Maguire. Had a torrid run of injuries after playing a big role down back in previous seasons. Hopefully he can make his way back. Keep.

32. McQualter. Has had a real dip in his 8 games this season and has been far from our worst. Does a job and deserves another year. Keep.

33. Gwilt. Has played 20 games now including 7 this season. Has obvious ability and skills to play the game but in what position? 1 more season?

34. Steven. Looks set to make his debut before 2008 is over and one for the future from all reports. Keep.

35. Harvey. Absolute legend of the game. Words can't describe or do justice to the great man. Retired.

36. Allen. Played 3 games in 2008 and has shown some form at Casey and being a big bloke may need more time. Keep.

37. Connors. Yet to make his debut and is one for the future. Keep.

38. Jones. Has been more than handy in 2008 taking his games tally to 20. Has come on while others have gone backwards. Keep.

40. Eddy. Done a good job in his 7 games in 2008. Looks to have a future at the club. Keep.

42. Geary. Has been impressive in his 10 games in 2008 but his form is tapering off and will be better next season. Keep.

44. Milne. Inconsistent forward who has obvious passion for the club which has to be admired. Can do infuriating things and be brilliant at the same time. Keep.

Keep:

Gram
King??
McEvoy
Hayes
Baker??
Riewoldt
Schneider
Ball
Goddard
Gilbert
Armitage
Birss??
S.Fisher
Blake
Maguire
McQualter
Gwilt??
Steven
Allen
Connors
Jones
Eddy
Geary
Milne

Possible trade:

X Clarke
L Fisher
Montagna
R Clarke
Koschitzke
Dal Santo

Delist:

M Gardiner
Fiora
Ferguson
Dempster??
C Gardiner??
Rix
Howard

Retire:

Hudghton??
Gehrig (more than likely)
Harvey (retired)

wallbanger
Club Player

Great post. Pretty accurate assessment I would think. Can this be forwarded to RL or whoever might be coaching next year?

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

have sent it.

Saint Mik
Club Player

wallbanger wrote:Great post. Pretty accurate assessment I would think. Can this be forwarded to RL or whoever might be coaching next year?
Why would we be expecting anyone else but RL to coach :roll:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Sobraz
SS Life Member

would exit King out as soon as possible... Horribly fraudulant player..

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:would exit King out as soon as possible... Horribly fraudulant player..
he is the best ruckman on our list ffs he wont be going anywhere.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

ralphysaints35 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:would exit King out as soon as possible... Horribly fraudulant player..
he is the best ruckman on our list ffs he wont be going anywhere.
he is a dud... 'ffs'...

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

he will play for 2009 which is great with all the young ruckman we have mcevoy van rheenan etc we need some good experience.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Everyone is too scared to trade certain players because they fear they may suddenly become elite at other clubs.

At the end of the year, we'll have the same old list i suppose minus the great man.

A group of good ordinary youngsters and a group of hyped up hasbeens who play without passion or desire.

We probably won't improve next year.

And most one eyed fanboys will love it that way. Keep the status-quo and hope everything changes...without actually doing anything.

Keep the classic stkilda culture going.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

brown-coat wrote:
what??... of trading our star players to only see them prosper at other clubs...

depends what side your looking at it from brown coat... we have the best 18 ever who have been let go by the saints... some of the all time greats...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
brown-coat wrote:
what??... of trading our star players to only see them prosper at other clubs...

depends what side your looking at it from brown coat... we have the best 18 ever who have been let go by the saints... some of the all time greats...
Doesn't say much for our club does it.
Means we cannot control players,can not get the most of there talent.

It would be actually frightening if the Stkilda Football Club ever became a profesional organisation. It takes 10-15 years to instill this culture of professionalism,everytime we go close to getting it we take two steps back.

One day,one day...

Bring back the Lockett era
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I don't think our list needs such drastic changes. I think we need someone to start getting the best out of the list. Look at what Malthouse does with an inexperienced, slow Collingwood team. See what Laidley has done with a bunch of GOPs at North Melbourne. Notice the huge improvement of almost every top 30 player at Geelong and the Bulldogs ever since they have got the game style and morale right.

We could do with a couple of extra young midfielders, a quick small forward and a big body in defence to replace Max in a couple of years but the ability of our list is not the main problem. They just need to start playing an attacking, skilled, confident, enthusiastic brand of footy consistently. Occasionally we see bursts of it when they throw the game plan out the window in a desperate attempt to get back into a match, but we have not seen it for four quarters since 2006.

Red
Club Player

King has been smashed 3 weeks in a row. If we are going to smashed in the

ruck you might as well develop a young player. Get rid of him.

The rest is not too bad. Howard is one I'd like to persevere with.

Watched a couple of games at Casey and he can actually kick the ball which

is more than some of our senior players can do.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:King has been smashed 3 weeks in a row. If we are going to smashed in the

The rest is not too bad. Howard is one I'd like to persevere with.

Watched a couple of games at Casey and he can actually kick the ball which

is more than some of our senior players can do.
You must have seen Howard on a good day because kicking isnt his strong point. I think they will keep Howard but from what I have seen he is never going to make it so we should cut our losses.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would seriously consider getting rid of one of King or M. Gardiner before Rix. I know Rix tries his heart out, not so sure about the others. We all wanted Rix dropped because he was only getting 6 - 7 possessions a game, the other two dont do much better. He played better than Gardiner yesterday. His biggest fault as far as I am concerned was his reluctance to kick the ball, always looking to hand ball after a mark, yet he is a good kick!

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i think rix is better what has MG done for this club in the 2 years of being here.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:i think rix is better what has MG done for this club in the 2 years of being here.
What has Rix done in 3 years Ralphy if he is better.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:i think rix is better what has MG done for this club in the 2 years of being here.
basicially SFA.....

Mg is to injury prone. still like the guy hope he bounces back next year but wouldnt delist rix yet.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
You are on fire today :lol:

Yet, so true.

Fit MG >>>>> Rix

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
basicially SFA.....

Mg is to injury prone. still like the guy hope he bounces back next year but wouldnt delist rix yet.
I really respect your opininon on the Saints so who should be off our list then year Ralphy.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
basicially SFA.....

I really respect your opininon on the Saints so who should be off our list then year Ralphy.
fiora.
leigh fisher.
not sure... other then them 2. maybe howard is he any good?

saintbob
SS Life Member

[quote="Red"]King has been smashed 3 weeks in a row. If we are going to smashed in the

If only they'd stop trying to play Kosi in the ruck and bring in a true ruckman, such as Gardiner or McEvoy, then and only then we will see the best of Kingy when he's able to have a decent spell instead of playing for 80% of the time.

Kosi's a key position player, not a ruckman and we won't see the best of him until he can settle in one position, preferrably CHB

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
basicially SFA.....

fiora.
leigh fisher.
not sure... other then them 2. maybe howard is he any good?
I think we might need more than that as you must have 3 picks and Eddy and Mini will probably come up. Come on Ralphy hard decisions need to be made to improve or do you think our current list will win a flag.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

no our current list wont win a flag.

Raph
X could be trade bait.
Fergie delisted.
attard ( if the injury is true) may be to injury prone, so career could be over. delisted
Either we keep van reenhan or rix.

miles elevated to senior list.

baker could retire.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:no our current list wont win a flag.

Raph
X could be trade bait.
Fergie delisted.
attard ( if the injury is true) may be to injury prone, so career could be over. delisted
Either we keep van reenhan or rix.

miles elevated to senior list.

baker could retire.
Thanks for that. Havent see Miles but when you have seen him he must have done well to get on the senior list.