Forward assitance for Roo...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wallbanger
Club Player

Forward assitance for Roo...

Righto. I have done enough whingeing and venting for a second.

What is the solution for the remainder of this year to help Riewoldt in the forward line? He is a champion and still manages to get the pill even when everyone at the game, opposition players, coaches and supporters included, know we are going to kick it to him. Clearly (and we all know this) we have no other options at the moment. So what is the answer?

Is it Charlie Gardiner played out of the square?

Is it Gehrig given one more shot out of the square?

Is it relying again on Kosi - forcing him to make the goalsquare his own to possibly define his future at the Club?

Is there no option in the current squad?

Personally I think at the very least Charlie needs to be given a run, to provide a lead up option...but with what we have at the moment it doesn't look promising.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
Buckets
SS Life Member

Thing is that we need a third tall because when things are not going well Roo is sent down back to steady the ship, he did that on Saturday night and when the ball got to the forward 50 Milne was our only marking forward. Time to bring either Charlie or Allen or Ferg in as a permanent forward who does not leave the 50 and to have Milne at his feet!!!!!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Saturday night was the worst forward set up and delivery I have seen in my life.

When our forwrds were one out they refused to get it in quick,and when they did get it in quick it was 3 on milne, or zero on three.

At least put someone down there who can contest and bring it too ground.

The Train is not our future,but sh!t at least he would of contested for the ball and probably snagged a couple.

Depends if we want to make the 8,I'd bring him in. He's not the long term answer,but there's 3 weeks left and a finals spot there begging to be taken.

Bring someone in,as a FF,I don't care if it's Fraser,Charlie or Ferguson,just someone,something!

It also needs to be drilled into our mass of non footballing brained players that when you have quality players such as Rewoildt and Kositchke one out inside 50 open,you F-ing kick it to them!!!!! You TRUST them to take the mark!!!! FFS

Bring back the Lockett era
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

charlie gardiner actually tries , hes a in for mine on sat

Raven
Club Player

You know, it's kind of ironic. At the start of the season we were all so excited about the three talls - Kosi, Roo and G-train. How can any team stop them all at once? Is it even possible? Surely we'll be the highest scoring team in the comp!

It's funny how differently things have turned out eh? 8-)

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:You know, it's kind of ironic. At the start of the season we were all so excited about the three talls - Kosi, Roo and G-train. How can any team stop them all at once? Is it even possible? Surely we'll be the highest scoring team in the comp!

It's funny how differently things have turned out eh? 8-)
I don't think it's funny at all.

ratismeat
Club Player

Also not chuckling :cry:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

WE
need amother target, no doubt....which one??

Gehrig
do we need another power fwd....lacks fwd pressure...proven goalkicker

Ferguson
Mobile, good grab, can provide pressure, is he good enough?

Allen
A bit slow and lacks strength, but is a tall taget and he presents

R.Clarke
X factor, he does create, does he demand the ball, is he a marking fwd??

C.Gardner
Good lead up fwd, does not apply scoreboard pressure, may allow Roo deeper....is he good enough???

McEvoy
Tall, good grab...too raw and too slow at this stage.

which one fits the bill?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe Chips? Excellent mark, was recruited as a forward and is a smart footballer.

At least he would make the loose man double teaming Roo more accountable.

howlinwolf
Club Player

We need to get a grip on reality here.

Charlie,Ferg or Allen might be a forward option for us as a struggling club.
That's what we are doing..struggling.

No other team in the comp would consider any of these in the pre season comp let alone 3 weeks out from finals.

Charlie is not going to be an option long term and neither are the other two from what I have seen.

I'm not saying we shouldn't give them a run as we are desperate for forwards. Anything at this stage is worth the remotest try.

Remember how it all happened in the plugger days ? He was the dominant forward that led hard. Other forwards knew their place and where they should be.

These days it's the most uncoordinated forward effort you could see.Forwards, read.. Kosi, and Roo leading to the same 2 metres !
If it wasn't for Roo and Milne we'd be second last.

And honestly I wish everyone would get of Milne's back.
The guy is asked to play 1 metre taller than he is. Kick a bag full every week,play defensive and accountable.
His valiant attempt to get the ball in the goal square against 3 Collingwood players down the Punt Rd end told me how lost we are.
The little fella jumped that high I don't know how he did it.
Funny and sad all rolled into one.

This is what we are down to trying to do

kos
Club Player

i honestly think c. gardiner needs to be in the side.
-first reason is that we need support for roo and kosi.
-every afl side needs/has a medium forward tobecome less predictable.
-he can take a grab, he does lead which opens up space for others to work into, he has pace and gives a contest.

if charlie cant get a gig maybe ferg is a chance, his game against melbourne still gets me excited about the possibilities.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

poor delivery to the forward line really hurt us against the Pies.. well come to think of it it did all around the ground...

forward pressure also let us down, their backs were easily able to run the ball to their forward line, often setting up their goals.

oh, and i don't think that the problem is players not trying :roll:

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I would try a few options on Sunday against Freo mabey rotating through the middle/backline and bench.

Gwilt - has good hands, a good kick, strong body. Slightly suspect in defence

R.Clarke - undeniable talent, decent pace. Ditto Gwilt re defence. Change of scenery up foward might make him a superstar

S.Fisher - big and strong, good mark, good kick. has the advantage of being a good defender so he can use his experiance to out position his opponant

C.Gardiner - Needs to step up or risks being another Birss (ie stuck at Casey)

Blake - come into his own in the last couple of weeks with strong performances. Has a good engine only question mark is on his kicking for goal.

I would hesitate to bring back Fraser IMHo it would do more harm than good.

Also Allan probably needs some more time in the VFL and a really good preseason under his belt to play that lead up role next year while Roo plays the "Richo" role up the ground (his best anmd most dangerous possie IMHO) and Kosi continues to switch his time between ruck and foward

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintbob
SS Life Member

Firstly we need to get Kosi out of there, needs to be at CHB, he and Rooey always seem to running into each others space anyway.

The options would be in this order, Raph, Charlie and Allen.

With Kosi going to CHB, IMO Raph and Charlie could both play as lead up forwards. This would stop the double and triple teaming on poor old Rooey.