full forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Full Forwards were definitely overrated for awhile but with the rule changes all but ruling out a defenders ability to reach into his bag of dirty tricks to stop the oppositions key forward and with the game getting quicker,the very good ones are becoming more prominent.....

The teams with more than 1 key forward have less trouble with double and triple teaming due to the multiple forward options available to the team.All of this is only relevant if you have a team with above average disposal,a team where hitting a target is not a raffle....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

good teams have a goood full forward who kicks goals ..... great teams have multiple forward options who can kick goals ... for the past 4 years we have been a good team to make that next step we dont need a full forward we need a group of goal kicking options

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote: The teams with more than 1 key forward have less trouble with double and triple teaming due to the multiple forward options available to the team.
This is key to this entire debate. We've struggled in the past when our gameplan has reduced to "kick it to Roo" or "kick it to G". Doesn't matter how good the player is, if the opposition know where the ball is going they'll always be double or triple teamed.
When Ross was appointed coach he mentioned the need to have at least 6 players kicking 20 goals a year. If you spread the goals it makes it harder for the opposition.
It's no good having one position players these days. If your full forward has a bad day what do you do with him? Better to rotate players through the key forward posts and keep the opposition guessing.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:we dont need a full forward we need a group of goal kicking options
agree. anything to lessen our total reliance on riewoldt and (with kosi now excluded) someone else who can take a mark and kick a goal is vital.

when we were flying a few years ago we had fraser at ff, riewoldt at chf, hamill on a flank beside him, kosi drifting forward, milne crumbing and guerra also getting amongst them.

that's the sort of forward set up we should be aiming for,

instead we're bombing it to roo with three guys on him or, even worse on saturday night, using milne as our sole forward marking option.

the "numbers behind the ball" edict is part of the problem in my opinion.

too often all our forwards are chasing their opponents up the ground leaving us no-one to go to in the front half.

someone who can take a mark should always stay inside the 50 and try to smash the opposition on the rebound. make them match up on us for a change.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

we are also expecting too much from milne

the bloke should not be our main forward target his role is to crumb and create goals not to be the focal point

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
jill
Club Player

Thought our forward set - up looked more balanced when Allen was at full forward - persevere with him for rest of season.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we could try one of the Clarkes. I remember when Plugger was rubbed out or injured on one occasion we played Nicky at FF and he kicked a lazy 8 goals. Might be worth a try.

saintjake
Club Player

gwilt.
GREAT kick.
solid mark,
bit of pace.
could settle down nicely.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

saintjake wrote:gwilt.
GREAT kick.
solid mark,
bit of pace.
could settle down nicely.
Have said this in the past. However, I believe that Gwilt was earmarked as a defender IIRC.

I'd also like to seem him there. Can also apply fwd pressure and create opps for the crumbers.

He would be a dead-eye kicker.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:We have defenders to fill the role, but TBH you rob Peter to pay Paul.
so it's more important to try to save a game than try to win it. you're not ross are you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Even if I was, do you think I'd own up?

RL is fast becoming the Salman Rushdie of SaintSational :lol:

What I meant was that we some possible players who could play FF, but they are needed in defence.

Case in point: Extra defenders allow Gram and Fish and BJ to rotate thru the midfield.

So, if we could find some key defenders, you could release someone like BJ or Gwilt or whoever to play FF.

Cheers.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

oh when wrote:I think our biggest problem is our very inccurate kicking for goal
Not only that, our delivery to our forwards is generally pretty ordinary (ordinary is an understatement at times!) and probably explains why (to a great extent) our crumber is our leading goal kicker!!

Our pressure on Kosi and Roo was greatly reduced when Gehrig was part of the picture, now our opposition only has two tall forwards to really concentrate on...and then they stick 2 guys on em :? I'd like to see Gwilt (I can't believe I'm saying this, but his form of late hasn't been too bad) have a descent shot on the forward line to reduce the pressure on Roo and Kosi, and what wouldn't hurt is some more goals kicked by our midfielders! I am genuinely tired of seeing players pass off potential shots on goal where we HAVE A CHANCE, and then deliver us the sort of over-use of the ball that gives us NO CHANCE!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Don King!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Don King!
:lol: he could play tall, mid, or short depending on what sort of hair day he's having. :lol:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Exactly!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

go the 'fro. the 'fro is my bro, etc.

there's a bit of support on here for gwilt

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

IMO gwilt also doesnt have any of the attributes to be FF. Firstly and a pretty good reson he just isnt good enough. Second he marking on a lead is no where near the standard of a average FF and would be way to slow off the mark. Good kick yes but he wouldnt get it enough touse his kicking. As I said many times why do we want to play players that arent good enough in one position in another.

One of the hardest posiion on the ground and hasnt even played there in junior footy. What hope in the AFL.

groupie1
Club Player

I think you should play your best players either in the forward line, in the midfield, or in defense.

Here's a smokey for FF: Dal Santo

Collingwood won a premiership with Gavin Brown at full forward

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
spert
Saintsational Legend

Gavin Brown was a much better player than NDS -tougher and inspiring..the type I always wished we had recruited back in the early '90s.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:I think you should play your best players either in the forward line, in the midfield, or in defense.

Here's a smokey for FF: Dal Santo

Collingwood won a premiership with Gavin Brown at full forward
is nick strong enough overhead? forward flank, yes. full forward, not so sure.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:IMO gwilt also doesnt have any of the attributes to be FF. Firstly and a pretty good reson he just isnt good enough. Second he marking on a lead is no where near the standard of a average FF and would be way to slow off the mark. Good kick yes but he wouldnt get it enough touse his kicking. As I said many times why do we want to play players that arent good enough in one position in another.

One of the hardest posiion on the ground and hasnt even played there in junior footy. What hope in the AFL.
so who then, plugger?

gosaints
Club Player

Our forwardlines biggest problem is that besides Roo they just don't work hard enough either individually or as a group. How many times do we see repeated leads?? Players working to create space for each other??

We need to put someone down there who has a real appetite for the ball and the contest.

It's no good putting blokes like Gwilt down there because when push comes to shove he just doesn't seem to really want the ball.
In my opinion we need to move Goddard forward. He is a great mark, brilliant kick and is prepared to work his butt off for the good of the team. Don't play him as a full forward but put him in the forward group and let him use his skills, smarts and thirst for the contest to our advantage.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:IMO gwilt also doesnt have any of the attributes to be FF. Firstly and a pretty good reson he just isnt good enough. Second he marking on a lead is no where near the standard of a average FF and would be way to slow off the mark. Good kick yes but he wouldnt get it enough touse his kicking. As I said many times why do we want to play players that arent good enough in one position in another.

While I agreee that Gwilt isnt the best player on our list (by a LONG way) it would be worth at least a try having him at FF, even mabey in a pocket or half foward as a decoy target occasionally kicking a few goals.

The worst that could happen is it doesnt work and he moves back to teh back line

The best is we get a couple of goals a game out of him and take all the focus off a "main foward"

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
fingers
Saintsational Legend

How would #27 go?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:How would #27 go?
we could do worse i guess. he's made a fair fist of just about every other position on the ground, including ruck.

tough, physical and strong overhead.

kicking for goal would be my main concern.

we need to redress the balance of having five talls in the backline and only one and a half (and sometimes none) in the forward line.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
fingers wrote:How would #27 go?
we could do worse i guess. he's made a fair fist of just about every other position on the ground, including ruck.

tough, physical and strong overhead.

kicking for goal would be my main concern.

we need to redress the balance of having five talls in the backline and only one and a half (and sometimes none) in the forward line.
Ive thaught for a while JB should at least get a try out up foward, in the same boat as Gwilt but obviously bigger and possible stronger and with more experiance aswell

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum