Fergus Watts...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hotdish
Club Player

Fergus Watts...

From Bigfooty: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478205

Watts up

SPEAKING of ankle injuries, Adelaide and St Kilda fans might remember Fergus Watts, the former first-round draft pick whose AFL career was cut short by ankle injuries. Well, Watts still plays footy, at Collegians in A-section of the ammos, but only just. You see, he has no planta fascia. (I don't know either, but it sounds terrible.) He can't train because he can barely run a lap. It takes a trainer 45 minutes to strap him up before every match, and even then he's yet to play a full game. But wait! He's still managed to kick 77 goals. With two games plus finals to go, he might become the first player with no planta fascia to kick 100. Watts this week faced a striking charge but was let off (a rarity in the ammos, where they've been known to put you out for blowing your nose), and can now take the field at home against Old Brighton tomorrow. The 23-year-old is no guarantee to play footy beyond this year, but for now he's taking it one eventful week at a time

I think that article pretty much sums up why his career was abruptly ended...poor fella...

Gee we've had a great few years with career ending injuries: Penny, Hamill, Watts...

GrumpyOne

Courtesy of Wikipedia:
The plantar fascia (or plantar aponeurosis) is the thick connective tissue which supports the arch of the foot. It runs from the tuberosity of the calcaneus forward to the heads of the metatarsal bones. It is the source of the painful condition plantar fasciitis.

starsign
Club Player

Quote:
The plantar fascia (or plantar aponeurosis) is the thick connective tissue which supports the arch of the foot. It runs from the tuberosity of the calcaneus forward to the heads of the metatarsal bones. It is the source of the painful condition plantar fasciitis.

ie Flat feet!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Courtesy of Wikipedia:
At least he won't have to worry about plantar fasciitis!

mick13
Club Player

How the hell does he walk...

Lol he kicked 8 against the Tiges a few weeks ago. Not bad for a guy without a foot.

realdeal
Club Player

Well i guess this explains why he isn't on out list anymore..

nothing to show for another 1st rd pick traded away.. he could play too.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

similar to what bangers busted on his own foot by jumping off a chair ... very very painful

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fergus Watts...

hotdish wrote:From Bigfooty: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478205

Watts up

SPEAKING of ankle injuries, Adelaide and St Kilda fans might remember Fergus Watts, the former first-round draft pick whose AFL career was cut short by ankle injuries. Well, Watts still plays footy, at Collegians in A-section of the ammos, but only just. You see, he has no planta fascia. (I don't know either, but it sounds terrible.) He can't train because he can barely run a lap. It takes a trainer 45 minutes to strap him up before every match, and even then he's yet to play a full game. But wait! He's still managed to kick 77 goals. With two games plus finals to go, he might become the first player with no planta fascia to kick 100. Watts this week faced a striking charge but was let off (a rarity in the ammos, where they've been known to put you out for blowing your nose), and can now take the field at home against Old Brighton tomorrow. The 23-year-old is no guarantee to play footy beyond this year, but for now he's taking it one eventful week at a time

I think that article pretty much sums up why his career was abruptly ended...poor fella...

Gee we've had a great few years with career ending injuries: Penny, Hamill, Watts...
we havent had the best of luck with injuries however penny would have not survived in the 'modern' game due to the fact he could only take gorilla type full forwards, penny was slow as so he would have been found out pretty soon

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
hotdish
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: we havent had the best of luck with injuries however penny would have not survived in the 'modern' game due to the fact he could only take gorilla type full forwards, penny was slow as so he would have been found out pretty soon
You are wrong. Penny was one of our most important players in 2004, and since he has left our backline has been pretty weak.

The notion that Full Forwards aren't made for the modern game, and therefore 'gorilla' full-backs is a load of crap - Penny is no bigger than Rutten, Scarlett, Glass etc and we would love to have him in the side today.

People crapping on about how the modern game has changed need to remember that teams still play tall-forwards and they still need to be stopped...

On Watts, my point in posting his injury is top stop bagging our club and its recruiters over our current list. If blokes break down permanently, we can't help that...

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: we havent had the best of luck with injuries however penny would have not survived in the 'modern' game due to the fact he could only take gorilla type full forwards, penny was slow as so he would have been found out pretty soon
You are wrong. Penny was one of our most important players in 2004, and since he has left our backline has been pretty weak.

The notion that Full Forwards aren't made for the modern game, and therefore 'gorilla' full-backs is a load of crap - Penny is no bigger than Rutten, Scarlett, Glass etc and we would love to have him in the side today.

People crapping on about how the modern game has changed need to remember that teams still play tall-forwards and they still need to be stopped...

On Watts, my point in posting his injury is top stop bagging our club and its recruiters over our current list. If blokes break down permanently, we can't help that...
no you are wrong

penny was slow as mate

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Nothin' like nepotism!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:penny was slow as mate
In 2003-2004 he was pretty good on the lead. After he hurt his knee (late '04?) he certainly struggled and on his '05 form he wouldn't manage in the modern game, but if fully fit he could still be going strong.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

off track....

Watts should never have been our number 1 draft pick to start with IMO...

I have always said that he had little or no second effort once he missed a mark...

NO SECOND EFFORTS....

Yet some on here suggested that we should grab him as our number one draft pick...

Those that suggested that still remain silent ...

any wonder :roll:

clueless springs to mind to some so called experts on here imo

the phrase FAIR DINKUM springs to mind...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah top response ... clueless in hawthorn....

What other jems have you spammed????

Rix ....?

Thank F*** you have no idea and have no influence in out draft selections because clearly you have no clue at all....

I don't mind a voice but to rant and rant is another ....

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

St Fidelius wrote:

Rix ....?

Thank F*** you have no idea and have no influence in out draft selections because clearly you have no clue at all....

See there you go StFid, I was all set to agree with on Fergus but then you have to go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like I "F*** you"

Seeya
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:penny was slow as mate
Who is this mate?

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Rix ....?

See there you go StFid, I was all set to agree with on Fergus but then you have to go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like I "F*** you"
This comes from you that stated.......
Dont you love it, it only takes one thread to reduce any future posts by St Fidelius, to be ignored with the disdain he deserves.
after the word was out the Rix did not play for the scorps???

The Rix spruiker for that rammed it down our throats for about 200 posts and then scoffed at Blake's abilities for another 100 posts...

and then rammed it down our throats that we should give up our number one draft pick to Watts...

yep a poster without a clue ....

I don't really mind that, but the constant posts of what he got wrong proves it for me....

Watts was never up to AFL standard and Port knew that....

He had no second efforts if he failed to mark and was fairly useless in a contest at ground level... again, we gave up our number one draft pick for him...

The poster in question went on and on the the saints should secure Watts even though I did question the poster on his useless second efforts...

my post were ignored... not one response at the time :roll:

The constant bagging of Blake a couple of years ago was another spam...

That year he constantly bagged Blake and constantly pumped Rix...

NO CLUE RINGS A BELL :roll:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

St Fidelius wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Rix ....?

This comes from you that stated.......
Dont you love it, it only takes one thread to reduce any future posts by St Fidelius, to be ignored with the disdain he deserves.
after the word was out the Rix did not play for the scorps???

The Rix spruiker for that rammed it down our throats for about 200 posts and then scoffed at Blake's abilities for another 100 posts...

and then rammed it down our throats that we should give up our number one draft pick to Watts...

yep a poster without a clue ....

I don't really mind that, but the constant posts of what he got wrong proves it for me....

Watts was never up to AFL standard and Port knew that....

He had no second efforts if he failed to mark and was fairly useless in a contest at ground level... again, we gave up our number one draft pick for him...

The poster in question went on and on the the saints should secure Watts even though I did question the poster on his useless second efforts...

my post were ignored... not one response at the time :roll:

The constant bagging of Blake a couple of years ago was another spam...

That year he constantly bagged Blake and constantly pumped Rix...

NO CLUE RINGS A BELL :roll:
Sorry StFid, not sure which planet you reside on, but if you can provide any sort of evidence that I bag Blake...
or
rammed it down anyone's throat about swapping our no1 draft pick for Watts being a good idea...
But yes, I will put my hand up for Rix, and CJ... anyone who has a dip.
waiting......................... :?:

Seeya
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Not you mate it's the poster that posted before your last...

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Collegians day of rest
SPEAKING of A-section, Collegians full-forward Fergus Watts, the former Adelaide and St Kilda key forward, failed to advance on his tally of 77 goals last week because he was rested. Former Collingwood and West Coast midfielder Damien Adkins was also rested, while Nick Ries (ex-Hawthorn) was injured and Ben Robbins (North Melbourne and Brisbane Lions) was unavailable. In all, half a dozen players were missing, enabling Old Brighton to storm to its second victory for the season over the premiership favourite. No wonder Collegians are the flag favourites. Other former AFL players in their ranks include Nick Stone (Collingwood, Hawthorn, St Kilda) and Simon Arnott (Sydney and Footscray).
Connections work
WATTS, at 23, is struggling to play because of the injuries to his lower legs that required 11 operations in his final two years in the AFL. An interesting aspect of his decision to play at Collegians is the medical help at the club. Collegians are currently the ammos' best club, but it is not unrepresentative of the competition in its willingness to pay medicos. Every Tuesday, Paul Visentini from Physiosports Brighton lays out a spread sheet with a fitness report on every senior Collegians player. Visentini, as well as at least one physio student, is at the club again on Thursday nights and on match days. Visentini has worked on national sporting teams. Physios of his ilk are believed to cost more than $100 an hour. While ammos' players are not paid, money and connections are handy assets off the field.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

good effort by watts to overcome injury.

there'd be fewer blokes who had bad luck with leg and ankle injuries than him.

outstanding talent by all accounts as a junior.

some guys just have bad luck.

all hte best watts.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Good character; Good luck in your future Fergus
story in The Age
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/t ... 22257.html
Turning bad luck around
Caroline Wilson | August 24, 2008

TODAY will mark a first for 22-year-old Fergus Watts — the first time he has attended an AFL game since he stopped being an AFL footballer. St Kilda has invited its one-gamer, as it has every player who ever ran out alongside Robert Harvey, to take part in the champion's home-and-away farewell.

And it is purely by coincidence that Watts will be watching the Saints take on Adelaide, the club that drafted him at pick No. 14 the day after his last VCE exam in 2003. For two years, he says, he was treated and supported in the manner first-round draft picks have come to expect. Then Watts decided he wanted to come home and even going out for a coffee became a living nightmare. The town turned on him.

All his life, Watts' ambition was to become an AFL player. The day that Adelaide chose him, someone mentioned that the average lifespan of a footballer was about four years. "That's not very long," he thought to himself, never dreaming that that statistic could be him.

And yet now, after almost a year out of the game, Watts remains determined not to finish up a cautionary tale. Despite the devastating turns his AFL journey took for most of those four seasons, and the physical pain that will accompany him for the remainder of his amateur football career, he still believes he is better for the experience.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.....
Yesterday, Watts, who plays for Wesley's Old Collegians at the top of the A-grade ladder in the Victorian Amateur Football Association, took on his brother Jack's University Blues team in the last round of the season.

The Watts brothers are no relation to the other Jack Watts, who is expected to become this year's No. 1 choice in the national draft. Coincidentally, all three Watts started their junior football at East Sandringham >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Fergus would have replaced (in theory) Gehrig.......First round pick by Adelaide......and not a bad trade.....I was at Teac oval when he smashed his ankle whilst dominating the VFL - R2 2006.....

Very brave player, gave a massive contest.....just struggled with agility due to a f***ed ankle