Get mark williams

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
spert wrote:Poor old Stan got a big knife in the back - I think it's called the tail wagging the dog..some players didn't like being told a few home truths and got all sooky.. so the story goes.
Yup Stan got knifed. Plimpton also wanted him out. Good coach was Stan.

GT got knifed. Butterss wanted him out. Good coach GT.

and the beat goes on........
But they wanted Sheldon, but not Hudson. So Kenny said "it's ethier both of us, or we quit." The rest is history.

la de da de da... la de da de da

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
starsign
Club Player

If Williams wanted to come to the Saints then he'd have to be a masochist, as we long suffering supporters are

To the top
SS Life Member

From my recall the "problem" the Board had with Sheldon and Hudson was who was actually responsible for on-field matters, given the decline in 1993 after the 1991 and 1992 performances saw finals appearances (beaten by Geelong at Waverley in 1991 when we lost a couple to Ablett early - including Burke and. I think, Pekin - and then beaten by Footscray at Waverley in 1992 in a lack lustre performance after having beaten Collingwood in the first week of the finals).

Bear in mind that this was the Lockett period, where keeping Lockett at the Club was paramount because it was thought that, if he went, the Board would be lynched by the Members and the supporters. The backroom tensions were intense in the extreme.

So both were gone.

Stan was there as an Assistant at that time and was spoken up in the media as the logical successor - so got the job.

I am not too sure which year Andrew Plympton took over from Travis Payze but can not recall Andrew giving President's Addresses at Linton Street.

Only recall Travis.

Andrew I recall when we were playing home games at Waverley.

So I am guessing that Sheldon and Hudson departing was either at the very end of Travis or the very start of Andrew - mind you, they had Boards!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Lyon is going nowhere until his tenure is up. Not even worth contemplating at this point in time.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

St. Luke wrote:Lyon is going nowhere until his tenure is up. Not even worth contemplating at this point in time.
Yup. Agree.

Get Willams? How about we stop looking over the fence to see if the grass is greener for once?

Talk about supporters having a Messiah complex. So williams is now the next Messiah that will save the club? :roll:

Our problems run deeper than the coach.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:Lyon is going nowhere until his tenure is up. Not even worth contemplating at this point in time.
Yup. Agree.

Get Willams? How about we stop looking over the fence to see if the grass is greener for once?
Looking over the fence? Given the OP...he might just jump the fence and steal Chocco during quarter time!

RBnW
Club Player

Williams is a mad man :evil: :evil: , every year or two he does this to get a new contract out of Port, he had his name thrown around before we appointed Lyon...then did a new deal with Port......its just the way he works....puts out his name and then gets a new deal.....he is not for us and I dont think that anyone else in Melbourne would touch him either......Mad, Mad, Mad :x :x :x
Remember what he did to Alan Scott on GF day infront of 1million TV watchers....... :oops: :oops: the major supporter of the Power forever...... he is a disgrace.......and always will be..... :roll: :roll:

Our best is yet
to come......
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Hurricane wrote:I just dont get why we have to change coaches every 5 minutes
We've had two coaches since Round 16, 2001.

Yep, we're changing every five minutes. Two in seven years.

Fair dinkum, are we dealing with the full deck of cards here?
Baldock, Sheldon (sacked), Stan(sacked), Timmy(would have been sacked), Blight(sacked), GT(sacked), Lyon - if the usual suspect had their way - sacked..

7 in 16 years. No we dont change coaches much. We dopnt sack them either.

oh since 2000 we have had 4 coaches. Since round 15 2001 we have had 3 coaches.

Weasel words and gilding the lily doesn't hide our hideous record of destabilisation and ineptitude toward keeping coaches.
maybe do like GT did with the captains have rotating coaches ??? fire em all if they dont win a flag in the first year :roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:on at the end of the season.

... and the beat goes on, the beat goes on...
It seems like a lot of beating goes on at St Kilda

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Why would we want Williams?

Lyon's going to be a super coach. His game plan is terrific. He has the respect and support of the players and they are prepared to jump through hoops for him

Our innovative, attacking, dominating brand of football under Lyon is beloved by fans and commentators alike

He has turned the failed GT policy of topping up and not looking for youth by bringing in the likes of M Clarke, M Gardiner, King, Dempster, Schneider, C Gardiner, M Ferguson, F Gehrig, A McQualter. And the astute draft picks!! Armitage, Howard, Allen, etc.

He's going to take us to the next level. Give him time, give him time)

(I'm not saying I agree with any of this. But I think that the fact that no poster has jumped in to defend Lyon - in the way that many inariably will for maligned players like Raph or Fergs - speaks volumes IMO.)

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:Why would we want Williams?

Lyon's going to be a super coach. His game plan is terrific. He has the respect and support of the players and they are prepared to jump through hoops for him

Our innovative, attacking, dominating brand of football under Lyon is beloved by fans and commentators alike

He has turned the failed GT policy of topping up and not looking for youth by bringing in the likes of M Clarke, M Gardiner, King, Dempster, Schneider, C Gardiner, M Ferguson, F Gehrig, A McQualter. And the astute draft picks!! Armitage, Howard, Allen, etc.

He's going to take us to the next level. Give him time, give him time)

(I'm not saying I agree with any of this. But I think that the fact that no poster has jumped in to defend Lyon - in the way that many inariably will for maligned players like Raph or Fergs - speaks volumes IMO.)
So you have to get on the thread with your sad old sack Lyon crap? Talk about having FGTCD :roll:

That's Fantasy GT Coaching Delusion :roll:

BTW, you forgot to mention: Brooks, Watts, Fiora, McGough, Sweeney etc.

Get over it, and get over yourself, cabbage. Go supprt another club FFS.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Anyone read the article on Williams and Port in today's Hun? Reality check.

To the top
SS Life Member

To be fair, the recruitment of M. Clarke, M. Gardiner and King (and Knobel and Ackland and Rix plus I think I have forgotten someone) was to address an abject failure to develop a rucking resource, an abject failure which included the abject mis-management of Brooks, which I have commented on in another post re the Selectors.

For how many years (and still!) have we rucked Blake who is at most 191cm?

Our recruiting has been abjectly poor for a number of years and, again, I would refer you to the "Selectors" thread.

Plus, the only class kids we do actually draft (R. Clarke as an example) are piloried because they do not dominate - when they are being played out of position as (in R. Clarke's case) key defenders - because we only have Max and Sam Fisher, who is an excellent flanker.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Lyon, for all we know, could become a decent coach but that is, you'd have to agree, highly unlikely given the last two years.

Williams has been there and done that. We KNOW he can deliver.

Do whatever it takes to bring him to Moorabbin.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

[/quote]maybe do like GT did with the captains have rotating coaches ??? fire em all if they dont win a flag in the first year :roll:[/quote]

Isn't that what we've been doing? Seems to have served us well over the last 100 years.

kalsaint
Club Player

spert wrote:Poor old Stan got a big knife in the back - I think it's called the tail wagging the dog..some players didn't like being told a few home truths and got all sooky.. so the story goes.
I've gotta agree totally here. This generation is less tolerant than past generations too.

I remember Stan trying to eyeball Max at 3/4 time in one of the 97 finals. Max did not look happy with this but I reckon Stan was dead right in targeting Max on that day. I loved his GAME DAY passion and this carried through the whole side.

This is something missed since GT arrived. I know GT had passion but this was not obvious on game days at times. Ross needs work here too.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:To be fair, the recruitment of M. Clarke, M. Gardiner and King (and Knobel and Ackland and Rix plus I think I have forgotten someone) was to address an abject failure to develop a rucking resource, an abject failure which included the abject mis-management of Brooks, which I have commented on in another post re the Selectors.

For how many years (and still!) have we rucked Blake who is at most 191cm?

Our recruiting has been abjectly poor for a number of years and, again, I would refer you to the "Selectors" thread.

Plus, the only class kids we do actually draft (R. Clarke as an example) are piloried because they do not dominate - when they are being played out of position as (in R. Clarke's case) key defenders - because we only have Max and Sam Fisher, who is an excellent flanker.
Understood TTT. But if we have to raise these names, let's at least be objective, rather than only using examples from one coach simply to push his "i hate RL" agenda.