Changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Changes for next week

I'm thinking Birss for Charlie, assuming Ball doesn't come back.
Birss has been in the best most weeks for Casey, and was really good v Adelaide last year. Charlie tried hard but didn't do too much for my liking.
If Ball came back, maybe in for Eddy, he'd be unlucky but someone's got to make way.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I imagine Xavier will play next week. Wont be too many changes.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Why would Birss be in for Charlie next week, if he couldn't get a game this week?

If anyone will come in next week it will be X.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saint-stu
Club Player

Saw the first half of the casey game today. I thought X looked like the best player on the ground.. as you would expect.

He looked fit.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Saw the first half of the casey game today. I thought X looked like the best player on the ground.. as you would expect.

He looked fit.
Good news. No, great news. We need both Clarkes up and running.

kaos theory
Club Player

I would make one change:
X for C. Gardiner

That replaces a vfl standard player with a creative and skillful afl standard player.

Play raph off the forward flank (taking gardiner's position, and brings more skill to the forward line. I think Raph will do better there). We can play X off the back flank and rotate through the middle for his first game back. Also, we have flexibility to throw Raph back if needed...

Ball the only other player to come in when fit, then we have resonably good line up for the finals (if we make it). Jones and/or gwilt to make way for Ball (X would cover Jones role, plus we get more skill from X. So Gwilt might be safe).

The rest is up to the players & coaches to maintain mental application & deliver.

starsign
Club Player

Also, we have flexibility to throw Raph back if needed...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

X for Charlie yes! and throw him back if we must
Love to see Jack Steven get a look in , but we wount be dropping anyone at this stage for him I feel

kaos theory
Club Player

Also, we have flexibility to throw Raph back if needed...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
What?

Raph played back and through the wings today and did pretty well for first game in.... Some poeple have no idea about raph, they overract to his slip ups, and ignore other players.

He has talent, anyboby can see that, he has confidence issues (due to some physical & personal issues), but over the last 4 or 5 week has played pretty well in the scorps. I'm hoping this will be the time he puts his talent together.

To the top
SS Life Member

The first cabs off the rank are your "A grade players", being Ball and X. Clarke.

Past that I still like the idea of King and M. Gardiner rotating in the ruck, freeing Koschitzke and giving Riewoldt licence as and if required.

I note the presence of Birss in the "best's" at Casey but the problem for him is replacing like with like so it comes down to an assessment of his skills and abililies vs. someone elses - and Birss misses out on this basis.

Indicative of that assessment is that R. Clarke came in today.

His skills and abilities are superior to those of Birss.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Ya gotta remember who we're playing - it's Adelaide and they've got a pretty good midfield. We need to make sure we've got enough legs. Adelaide have 18 players averaging more than 14 disposals a game; we have 11.

IN: X Clarke, Birss
OUT: Eddy, C Gardiner/Gwilt

Of course Bally comes back in when fit, but we shouldn't be rushing him.

X comes back in without a doubt. I'm sure he's still a bit underdone, as he's missed 13 weeks, but he's played three reserves games now and been BOG in the last one (apparently). Seems like the right build-up for a senior return - he's a class player, can play 60% game time and be pretty useful.

Birss, I think, has served his penance. Nine weeks out of the side, in that time seven reserves games and seven emergency spots. I'd suggest that if he can't get a game against a pretty good Crows side, where midfield stopping is going to be useful, he will probably never play for St Kilda again. But I reckon Lyon quite likes him so I think he'll be back. (Perfect match-up for A McLeod, incidentally - can stop him going forward and kick a goal or two himself.)

Eddy's done not a lot wrong but has done not a lot. Possessions, from debut: 17,9,12,10,15,7,13 - trending down. 8 games is a good return for his first year, but he's been playing less and less game time. X can be more damaging in the same amount of time. I think he'd be well served by going back to the twos, playing the whole game and getting 30 touches. Don't worry, he'll be a player, but is still in development.

And one of the other two has to go because I'd like Birss in the side.

C Gardiner would be unlucky to be dropped after only one week in the side, but 10 touches, 5 marks, 1 tackle, 1 inside 50 is pretty quiet when we needed him to stand up on the big ground at Subiaco.

And Jimmy G had 10 touches, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 2 inside 50s. I'm not convinced he's a midfielder, but I'm also not convinced he's a defender, so I have trouble finding a spot for him.

Something like this:

B: Dempster, Hudghton, Blake
HB: Gwilt, S Fisher, Goddard
C: Montagna, Hayes, Gram
HF: Birss, Riewoldt, R Clarke
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Schneider
R: King, Dal Santo, McQualter
IC: Harvey, X Clarke, Gilbert, Jones

Whaddya reckon?

jack
Club Player

Just said on fox news that milne has a slight crack in his cheekbone and will be driving back from Perth. Will not be playing this week.

when you judge someone,
You don't define them,
You define yourself.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

jack wrote:Just said on fox news that milne has a slight crack in his cheekbone and will be driving back from Perth. Will not be playing this week.
if thats the case my changes would be

in: x and birss
out: gradiner and milne (inj)

cj to play deep forward with schneider
birss to play as a defensive half forward with the ability to hurt on the scoreboard. Needs to work hard to punish his opposition when we get he ball.
xavier to add speed down the wings.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
sax
Club Player

There will only be 1 change and it's forced.
In: X. Clarke
Out: Milne (inj)

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

jack wrote:Just said on fox news that milne has a slight crack in his cheekbone and will be driving back from Perth. Will not be playing this week.
Great asessment from the medico's at yesterdays game then,allowing him to play on as it was only swelling

Bring back the Lockett era
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Injuries aside, only players to come back will be: X & Ball

Not sure who'll make way at this stage TBH. Jones? Gwilt?

It even looks like a King / Kosi ruck combo will be used if we make the 8.

Even Fiora may be given another run.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

I knew straight away Milne had a broken cheekbone. Had one myself, looked EXACTLY the same...

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Milne out -Rix in

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The only guys that need to worry, are the ones that have no impact until Lenny, Roo etc. get us going - then they just jump aboard for the ride.

There's a few too many of them I'm afraid right now.

I wouldn't be looking too hard at the replay of the second half to work out who did well, I'd be watching the first half. That's what needs addressing.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Here here! or is it Hear hear?! Can't play a first half like that and expect to do well against tough opposition

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:The only guys that need to worry, are the ones that have no impact until Lenny, Roo etc. get us going - then they just jump aboard for the ride.

I wouldn't be looking too hard at the replay of the second half to work out who did well, I'd be watching the first half. That's what needs addressing.
Didn't we have a top 4 list? I thought you said that it's the stars that win you games. So what's the big deal having a few passengers? :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Quixote
SS Life Member

Whatever happens, we just GOTTA keep a lead up forward so Roo, Roy and Milney can play deeper. Like yesterday.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintbob
SS Life Member

Only one compulsory change X for Milne.
Bally will be struggling to be ready and its always best to have that extra week with hammies.

B: Dempster, Hudghton, Blake
HB: Gilbert, S Fisher, Goddard
C: Montagna, Hayes, Gwilt
HF: Jones, Riewoldt, X Clarke
F: Charlie, Koschitzke, Schneider
R: King, Dal Santo, Gram
IC: Harvey, R Clarke, , McQualter, Eddy

Out: Milne

In: X Clarke

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

[quote="rodgerfox"]The only guys that need to worry, are the ones that have no impact until Lenny, Roo etc. get us going - then they just jump aboard for the ride.

I wouldn't be looking too hard at the replay of the second half to work out who did well, I'd be watching the first half. That's what needs addressing.[/quote

100% correct

a good team has many players that are able to get them out of impotence

we looked impotent in the first half

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.