Best Ive seen from Riewoldt in 3 years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Best Ive seen from Riewoldt in 3 years

His goal kicking IMHO over the last 7 weeks has improved - he doesnt look to be passing it off even if he misses it he backs up for the next one.

Hes getting 5 or 6 shots on goal a game - today 7?

Hes stamping his authority on games IMO better than he ever did - he seems to be getting that confiedence back to win a game off his own boot (something many have critcised him for EXCEPT in the last few weeks - even hearing opposition supporters comment on this)

His leadership has been tremendous (I was a critic of giving him captaincy and thought Hayes a monty.....I got that wrong).

Could this be the result of putting the captiancy in the hands of your best player, letting him know HE is the leader and instilling him with the confidence thats what hes there to do (as opposed to pass the parcel at season end for St Kilda captaincy??)

Whatever - awesome Rooey keep it up!

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: Best Ive seen from Riewoldt in 3 years

Teflon wrote:His goal kicking IMHO over the last 7 weeks has improved - he doesnt look to be passing it off even if he misses it he backs up for the next one.

Hes getting 5 or 6 shots on goal a game - today 7?

Hes stamping his authority on games IMO better than he ever did - he seems to be getting that confiedence back to win a game off his own boot (something many have critcised him for EXCEPT in the last few weeks - even hearing opposition supporters comment on this)

His leadership has been tremendous (I was a critic of giving him captaincy and thought Hayes a monty.....I got that wrong).

Could this be the result of putting the captiancy in the hands of your best player, letting him know HE is the leader and instilling him with the confidence thats what hes there to do (as opposed to pass the parcel at season end for St Kilda captaincy??)

Whatever - awesome Rooey keep it up!
a fantastic game by roo

and my thoughts exactly re the captaincy .....

Just wish he nails the easy set shots...

but no complaints here ....

They were talking during the game on foxtel that maybe an all Australian position for the forward spot was between Pav and Roo...

If Foxtel is right, surely roo has it over pav

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Are you serious? One good game, where he should've dobbed 2 more? HE CAN'T KICK!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:Are you serious? One good game, where he should've dobbed 2 more? HE CAN'T KICK!
Buddy kicked 3 .7 today...he cant kick..Id have him.

Geez your a hard marker to say riewoldts last 6 or 7 weeks havent seen him in the top 3 players in the AFL.

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:Are you serious? One good game, where he should've dobbed 2 more? HE CAN'T KICK!
Yeah and buddy cant kick either,,,

49 goals 31 points yep not great but he has played many games up the ground in an effort to gain some forward pressure....

His stamina is far better than most in the AFL.......

The kilometers he runs during game day exceeds most when you consider he is a forward.....

so just how serious are you???

If you look at stats alone Riewoldt is ahead of Brent Harvey......

so maybe you should put a sock in it :idea:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
siamang

He is the best contested mark in the AFL, without a doubt.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

siamang wrote:He is the best contested mark in the AFL, without a doubt.
on his day unstoppable...just like buddy...two of the best going around......he will...by careers end...have replaced buckets in our all time best team.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Don't know about 3 years....I think clearly best form he's ever been.

The second half of his year has been brilliant,he's taken the next step. He still misses too many,but i think that's always going to happen.

Bring back the Lockett era
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

if anything this year has seen the emergence of rooey as an elite player in the afl isntead of a player with great aerobic capacity who can't kick

its great to see that when he players closer to go he kicks bags...and he can still play up the ground in bursts

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Anyone noticed that when he has to think about it - he has the pressures of the world on his soulders and shanks it - when he is playing naturally he dobs them.

At the start of his career he was a dead eye dick - then people started to critique his kicking and it went down hill.

If you want to return Roo to being a great kick - we all need to shut up and take the 4 goals he kicked yesterday, forgetting about the misses. Let him just play football - over his career he is still within the bounds of normality in terms of his accuracy - and he does give us so much more than just a full forward - he is after all out CHF.

We NEED a FF giving us 5 a week and we will get Roo's 4 more constantly. With 9 or 10 coming from FF and CHF and a few sneaky ones from the midfield we will be so much better off.

The problem is not with Roos kicking - it is with expectations that a guy who runs as much as him every game and gives us so much will also be able to give use 9.0 for a day out - he cannot be our CHF and FF in the one game!!!!!!!!!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:Anyone noticed that when he has to think about it - he has the pressures of the world on his soulders and shanks it - when he is playing naturally he dobs them.

At the start of his career he was a dead eye dick - then people started to critique his kicking and it went down hill.

If you want to return Roo to being a great kick - we all need to shut up and take the 4 goals he kicked yesterday, forgetting about the misses. Let him just play football - over his career he is still within the bounds of normality in terms of his accuracy - and he does give us so much more than just a full forward - he is after all out CHF.

We NEED a FF giving us 5 a week and we will get Roo's 4 more constantly. With 9 or 10 coming from FF and CHF and a few sneaky ones from the midfield we will be so much better off.

The problem is not with Roos kicking - it is with expectations that a guy who runs as much as him every game and gives us so much will also be able to give use 9.0 for a day out - he cannot be our CHF and FF in the one game!!!!!!!!!
Surely you can't blame our expectations on his kicking woes though?

I think you'll find it's a mental issue created by his own head, he sets the bar extremely high for his own standards,probably too high for his own good when it comes to kicking for goal. The ego that drives him to be the great player is also the ego that causes his kicking to go astray..IMO.

Bring back the Lockett era
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it is his ego - but the truth of the matter is that 4 goals from a CHF would be a fantastic return - if he could do this every week, I for one would be happy with 4.8. He gets the ball far more than a tradition CHF gets it so between 2 and 4 goals a game would be a great return IF we also had a consistent FF kicking a few

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He is so determined, I am sure that his kicking will continue to improve. He has a straight follow through which is the main thing. The ball drop can be worked on.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

roo was terrific and really should have finished with seven or eight.

i've been critical of our forward set up for much of the season, but it worked a treat after half time yesterday with riewoldt playing full forward and the two smalls, milne and schneider, beside him.

the trick with forwards as good as roo is to give them space to lead into and deliver it quickly. given those two things, players such as him (and buddy franklin) are close to unbeatable.

however we must continually be on guard against roo being double and triple teamed ... that's when we come unstuck.

i was impressed with raph's game and imo he can be a real wildcard if we make the finals. i'd stick him at chf, keep roo at ff and turn kosi loose around the ground with plenty of rucking duties.

roo should continue working on his set shots. i'm sure that a guy as professional as him would be working on ironing out the one remaining kink in his game.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: however we must continually be on guard against roo being double and triple teamed ... that's when we come unstuck.

i was impressed with raph's game and imo he can be a real wildcard if we make the finals. i'd stick him at chf, keep roo at ff and turn kosi loose around the ground with plenty of rucking duties.
Spot on... When Roo battles against 3/4 opponants, our whole forward structure fails... We need the likes of Raph, and even Gwilt or Gilbo to occasionally push forward and lessen the load on Roo...

Raph did it wonderfully yesterday, linking up from half back all the way forward... Allows Milne and Schnider to do what the do best...

Our worst performances have seen us kicking to Milne overhead to a contest.. This never works, and we have lost accordingly.. happened several time v's the pies... Yesterdays setup was far superior...

Maybe it helped that charlie was named in the team... He didnt do anything, and should be dropped, but atleast took a medium/tall defender..

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The last 5 games - 21-10

If he did that for the whole season 92-44

Can e ask anything more from him????

Legendary
Club Player

In the form of his life.

Three clear BOG's in the last six weeks.

IMO is the best player in the AFL with Boomer Harvey in the second half of the year.

Elite.

Superstar.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:The last 5 games - 21-10

On this forum.... apparently YES :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Lennon
Club Player

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not... I hope you are.

One good game? Have you watched the Saints the last 5-6 weeks? Since the Kangas game he would have been in the votes every bloody week.

yipper
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:The last 5 games - 21-10

A great player would deliver half of those figures - but some on here are just going to be bashing him no matter what he does. He is easily one of the top 3 players in the AFL. And he is a StKilda player. Just a magnificent player.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I too have been critical of Rooey and his leadership, but over the past seven or so weeks, he's stopped standing with his hands on his hips and dropping his head everytime things go wrong. Rooey now lifts his head, leads by example and the result is the team is following him.
And it was great to see him smiling as he and the team ran down to the cheer squad after the game and I think it is an indication he feeling a lot more relaxed about being team captain and is starting to enjoy the role, which is just as important as taking those ripper marks. :D

my les foote
Club Player

I'm lovin' the Roo this year.

Check him out after Schneider kicks the goal at the start of the last quarter. He just goes and bowls over some Docker who was standing there minding his own business.

He used to always be the victim of that sort of thing.

Win it for HIM!
Raven
Club Player

my les foote wrote: Check him out after Schneider kicks the goal at the start of the last quarter. He just goes and bowls over some Docker who was standing there minding his own business.

He used to always be the victim of that sort of thing.
Hahah, I noticed that too. What a crackup!

HarveysDeciple

Would be fighting Lenny Hayes for the B and F at the minute.

May have just taken the lead.

That would be 5 best and fairests (club record) by the time he is 26 years old.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

AA captain!!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!