Grams Kicking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

animalenclosure

Grams Kicking

Is it me or does "Ounce" make a drop punt look like a capricosa pizza. His kicking IMO is a below what we have come to expect from him. I also feel as good as a outside player as he is, his inside game is ordinary. I feel sometimes he would rather come off the ground with a "twisted sock" then get the hard ball. This is where I get annoyed at the CJ detractors & McQuater detractors. If the foot skills are are on par, Cj & Mini would eclipse Ounce of the inside & outside parts of their games on the whole. Yes, gram can kick the 50m goal but I've seen plenty this year that have not been close.

HarveysDeciple

On occasion I think he tries to spear his kicks too much, low fast bullet passes. Problem is you can shank these kicks quite easily.

On the whole he isn't to bad, but yesterday he cost us a few goals.

SB10
Club Player

HarveysDeciple wrote:On occasion I think he tries to spear his kicks too much, low fast bullet passes. Problem is you can shank these kicks quite easily.

Don't know if others have noticed this but Grammy seems to kick a lot into the back of teammates while in heavy traffic too. Maybe an awareness thing or simply he's looking to far down the ground for the next option.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

he is so inconsistent with his kicking, its not like he can't kick at all i saw one pass to riewoldt in space running flat stick that was brilliant.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:
HarveysDeciple wrote:On occasion I think he tries to spear his kicks too much, low fast bullet passes. Problem is you can shank these kicks quite easily.

Don't know if others have noticed this but Grammy seems to kick a lot into the back of teammates while in heavy traffic too. Maybe an awareness thing or simply he's looking to far down the ground for the next option.
Interesting, I noticed this yesterday but have never noticed him do it more than anyone else in the past...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Grams Kicking

animalenclosure wrote:Is it me or does "Ounce" make a drop punt look like a capricosa pizza. His kicking IMO is a below what we have come to expect from him. I also feel as good as a outside player as he is, his inside game is ordinary. I feel sometimes he would rather come off the ground with a "twisted sock" then get the hard ball. This is where I get annoyed at the CJ detractors & McQuater detractors. If the foot skills are are on par, Cj & Mini would eclipse Ounce of the inside & outside parts of their games on the whole. Yes, gram can kick the 50m goal but I've seen plenty this year that have not been close.
HEY! What's the idea in stealing my user name spruiker!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

his kicking style encourages poor footskills....

when he is on the run he tends tohave a high ball toss etc etc so the control is not going to be there

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

You may not be aware, but Grammy has been working under a fair amount of restriction for a couple of months.

He has been carrying a couple of leg injuries and in my opinion has performed way above the call of duty.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:You may not be aware, but Grammy has been working under a fair amount of restriction for a couple of months.

He has been carrying a couple of leg injuries and in my opinion has performed way above the call of duty.
kudos to him for working through the injuries and its been even better with him playing through the middle with his long runs

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
animalenclosure

Re: Grams Kicking

[quote="Animal Enclosure"][quote="animalenclosure"]Is it me or does "Ounce" make a drop punt look like a capricosa pizza. His kicking IMO is a below what we have come to expect from him. I also feel as good as a outside player as he is, his inside game is ordinary. I feel sometimes he would rather come off the ground with a "twisted sock" then get the hard ball. This is where I get annoyed at the CJ detractors & McQuater detractors. If the foot skills are are on par, Cj & Mini would eclipse Ounce of the inside & outside parts of their games on the whole. Yes, gram can kick the 50m goal but I've seen plenty this year that have not been close.[/quote]

HEY! What's the idea in stealing my user name spruiker![/quote]

Sorry Animal Enclosure, didn't realise you had taken the user name. Were did you stand and on what, in the enclosure?

animalenclosure

[quote="Bernard Shakey"]You may not be aware, but Grammy has been working under a fair amount of restriction for a couple of months.

He has been carrying a couple of leg injuries and in my opinion has performed way above the call of duty.[/quote]

I still think he lacks ticker. Yes , we know to play AFL you have a level of courage or you don't make it. Well he's would be at the lower end of the scale with CJ, Mini, Havena, & Rooy at the pointy end

If he is unfit why play him and create turnovers which in games against quality opposition you cannot afford to do. All players have slight injuries we never hear about for obvious reasons, but does it effect their game? His kicking was substandard, so please - no excuses

animalenclosure

Gram kicking

Posted this last year....... gram still has isssues whilst the other two whom many threw stones at have improved enough to hold spots in our best 22

Legendary
Club Player

Rubbish about lacking ticker.

I have NEVER seen Gram hold off a contest.

The way he uses his body around the ball is a strength of his, coming from his basketball background ... he is very hard at it and throws himself in but does it smartly.

Positions himself very well around contests.

Has been carrying a lot of leg soreness, which may affect his kicking quite a lot.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

His kicking has been crap for a while and makes me wonder about this post in the other thread about Gram...
bergholt wrote:
i haven't got the record handy, but the stats i was looking at during last week's game put him at number three (i think) out of our mids for kicking efficiency since the start of last year. (behind bj and dal, obviously.) in that time he's kicked 22.18. i feel pretty confident when he takes a shot from 50, and not too bad when he's spotting up forwards.
Last year was just the same when kicking to position, far too much hang time with his kicks and many of his hand balls resulted in goals to the opposition.

He really needs to lift because his possessions will hurt us when we play some decent teams

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Gram worries me, he looks like a show pony, more worried about the tips in his hair than improving his foot skills.

No wonder Goddard gave him a fair dinkum spray a few weeks ago!

Gram is a good and valuable player, don't get me wrong, perhaps I am wrong, afterall there is a first time for everything, but this is the impression I have of him at the moment!

His kicking is abysmal and he needs to fair dinkum work on this skill and improve ASAP!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Problem is you can't improve you're kicking when you're on a modified training program carrying injuries.

We've got a few carrying injuries behind the scenes at the moment which is the only worry we have got

Bring back the Lockett era
markinUSA
SS Life Member

I posted this on another topic, but then realized it should be here, so I have deleted the other post and moved it one here.
------

I suspect I'm somewhere between the two extremes: I think there is something technical going wrong with his kicking action when trying for longer kicks... it's not a big thing, but it is noticable... and it's definitely influencing his accuracy.

I think when he is doing a moderately long kick, the way he drops the ball onto his foot is picture perfect. But when he tries to kick long, his timing regarding the dropping the ball is off slightly... I think he is dropping it a fraction of a second too late. This means that his leg doesn't get the full extension and impact, and he is sometimes shanking, and sometimes not kicking as far as expected. This is both a technique/fitness issue (when fully fit, and running at full pace, his kicking can be phenomenal) but also timing one. He needs everything to be going 100% right to do the kicks which reach 60 metres (or more)... as would anyone... but it used to happen a bit more often.

The speed of the game has increased, the disposal speed of our team has increased, and he just needs a tiny adjustment to either his technique, or the delivery of the ball, and he will be back on track.

-------

Edit: this all makes sense hearing that he has some sort of a leg injury. The kind of memorized muscle action that kicking involves needs to change slightly with a leg injury, and when trying to kick long, it will be most evident. Makes complete sense to me now.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ineffective kick - has been for ages......has got too far ahead of himself, WRT his ability......he lands one bomb goal out of 6 and is hailed a 'damaging long kick' he is bordering on atrocious.....at least CJ knows his limits.....

Irony - Gram running past Dal and getting a HB to have a flying shot at goal......out on the full

Ability - Dal running past Ball and drilling one....

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

barks4eva wrote:Gram worries me, he looks like a show pony, more worried about the tips in his hair than improving his foot skills.

No wonder Goddard gave him a fair dinkum spray a few weeks ago!

Gram is a good and valuable player, don't get me wrong, perhaps I am wrong, afterall there is a first time for everything, but this is the impression I have of him at the moment!

His kicking is abysmal and he needs to fair dinkum work on this skill and improve ASAP!
Scary but i agree with all of this. He is the only player who consistently fails to attempt to tackle with a preference to stand off and allow a disposal

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Agree with st.mart ...appears to have got a little ahead of himself.

Icypole
tickets

Hope he realizes or Leadership group/coaches make him

but will come down to him
Last edited by chook23 on Sun 19 Apr 2009 8:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
matrix
Saintsational Legend

he wouldnt have hit a barn door with a handful of marbles last night lol...

is he looking at the ball when he drops it?...or upfield?

get new slippers grammy...piss those friggin white ones off :D

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

cost us at least 3 goals last night with poor kicking or decision making, he's a real worry at the moment

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gee, you guys are tough markers. Grammy has been in the thick of things in all 4 games, and has got his hands on a s#@tload of the ball.

We only scored four times as many points as our opponents last night. Let's not get carried away.

Personally, I was enormously disappointed by Eddy, Begley and McEvoy. They didn't contribute anything. I can't understand how they keep getting selected week in week out.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
barneyboyz
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Ineffective kick - has been for ages......has got too far ahead of himself, WRT his ability......he lands one bomb goal out of 6 and is hailed a 'damaging long kick' he is bordering on atrocious.....at least CJ knows his limits.....

Irony - Gram running past Dal and getting a HB to have a flying shot at goal......out on the full

Ability - Dal running past Ball and drilling one....
Giddy Up!!!

to me, he is now behind Gilbert in the "fast delivery" of the ball inside 50.

he will get better as our team now has more players playing this type of game, but will need to always concentrate heavily on his running & kicking skills

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Gee, you guys are tough markers. Grammy has been in the thick of things in all 4 games, and has got his hands on a s#@tload of the ball.
Getting your hands on the ball means nothing if you turn it over.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell