Jeff White?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Jeff White?

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/w ... 18256.html

Will be let go by Melbourne, but White wants to play for another couple of years at AFL level.

Worth picking up?

Great around-the-ground ruckman and still does pretty well in the hitouts. Can play forward too.

Not sure re: our list .... would mean getting rid of Gardiner I would think, as otherwise we would have too many ruckmen.

Carlton, Richmond might also be interested for a couple of years.

Thoughts?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Would only suit a team that wants to top up for a tilt... so we'll probably get him.. He is fit, that's for sure, and I'd swap him for MG in a split second.

BAck up ruckman only, provided he is still mobile enough.

Would give you more than Rix.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

NO WAY.... is a very soft at the contest footballer, and now due to age, has lost a bit of athleticism.... would not go near him...

hope of MG getting fit and to form is a better bet than White...

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Would only suit a team that wants to top up for a tilt... so we'll probably get him.. He is fit, that's for sure, and I'd swap him for MG in a split second.

BAck up ruckman only, provided he is still mobile enough.

Would give you more than Rix.
If that is our thinking Wayne.....of topping up for a tilt....then heaven help us. We are doomed.

But then again, we seem to be becoming a retirement home for ageing ruckman, so he'll probably fit in well.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
markp
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote: But then again, we seem to be becoming a retirement home for ageing ruckman, so he'll probably fit in well.
Who was your favourite?

Monkhurst was mine....

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Vote for your favourite rucking recruit:

1. Warren Jones
2. Brett Cook
3. Matthew Clarke
4. Michael Rix
5. Damian Monkhorst
6. Michael Gardiner
7. Steven King
8. Barry Brooks
9. Chris Oliver

We don't have a lot of luck with big guys do we? Peter Everitt is the only stand out in the last 20 years if you ask me. From memory anyway. Lazer probably might make my list too. No co-incidence both played in 1997.

My favourite is the inspired recruiting of Matthew Clarke. Didn't he just make that number 28 jumper pump? :roll:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Trent Knoble for mine... Capuano a close second...

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Jeff White & Steven King in the same team...Wonder if they'd talk about the boot in the face incident in 2005?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Trent Knoble for mine... Capuano a close second...
How could I forget those two? The answer - very easily.

My goodness gracious me, we have had some rippers.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Also forgot Cain Ackland - probably mid-lower list quality

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Jury is in. My memory is crap.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I think Jeff White is well and truly finished.
No value for us at all.

Hopefully King can go another year. Without him Mcevoy might struggle. I think Ben needs another year before he really steps up to the plate with King guiding him and carrying the bulk of the load would be ideal.

I'm not confident MG can go another year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dean Herbert from the Tigers was a ripper!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

White in the ruck is an improved version of Blake (but without the versatility. If we could get him cheap and it meant Rix was delisted then I wouldn't have a problem with recruiting White. He's very good around the ground and can still be competitive with most in the ruck contests.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It probably boils down to a simple question: who has more to give, Michael Gardiner or Jeff White? We probably can't have both...

I'd probably be leaning toward White at this stage, but he'll be 32 at the start of next year.

He's also got 266 games under his belt, whereas Gardiner is 29 and has only 135 on the clock. So the wear and tear on the latter should be a lot less. Though having said that, White is making all the right noises about his body and his durability since his shin troubles is unquestionable.

If White said he had two-three years in him, which is probably Gardiner's maximum shelf life, he wouldn't be a bad option while we fill in time before McEvoy is ready. If Gardiner can't get himself right, which might well be the case, I'd think it would be a reasonable change.

As we've seen this year with Steven King, the ruck position can succesfully be filled with a 'drop-in' recuit. You just need to make sure they have a few years left - not just one, as in the case of Matthew Clarke.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 20 Aug 2008 1:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White is so bad. So bad. Most frustrating footballer ever. Makes me tear me hair out and I dont care one iota about the Demons. If he played for us he might drive me over the edge.

He prances around like a big pony taking a leisurely canter on his grandmas village green waiting for the scones and tea to be served. he has an uncanny ability to run to where the ball aint. No intensity. No competitiveness. No mongrel. No thanks.

id hate him in our side. good in theory (assuming VR and Mcevoy are not duds) but bad in practice.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 20 Aug 2008 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:White in the ruck is an improved version of Blake (but without the versatility. If we could get him cheap and it meant Rix was delisted then I wouldn't have a problem with recruiting White. He's very good around the ground and can still be competitive with most in the ruck contests.
Not a bad point actually. Jeff White or Michael Rix?

Does the question even need to be asked?

Yeah, the more I think about it, and the more one considers the absence of quality ruckmen out there, he appeals quite a bit.

That way we can keep developing McEvoy, and either keep developing Van Rheenan or move him on for another raw ruck rookie.

Ruck stocks for 2009:
In: White
Out: Gardiner, Rix

That would mean King and White were first choice, with the back-ups coming from McEvoy, Blake, Kosi and Van Rheenan/another youngster. Could be worse.

That would ensure McEvoy gained plenty of game time and developed, while King and White would be a more than capable ruck duo. And I like that White can go forward, something Gardiner probably can't do.

Worth pondering.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Trent Knoble for mine... Capuano a close second...
How could I forget those two? The answer - very easily.

My goodness gracious me, we have had some rippers.
Don Disher
Damien Kitszchke - the only good thing he did at the Club was give Elle MacPherson a Saints jumper
Paul Harding - recruited from Hawthorn?
Wayne Thornborrow (Ruckman?)

Wasn't Tim Elliott recruited as a ruckman?

And going back a bt
Rodney Galt
Alan Sidebottom

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Paul Harding - was he the short guy with the mo that went to the eagles?

he was really bloody good.

No to White. But i accept evertons argument that he could be a stop gap IF we are developing new ruckmen. But are we? We need to really assess McEvoy and Van Rheenan.

We should have gone for Cam Wood last year. Ruckmen are bloody hard to find. Although Melbourne seem to have 4 right now.

We need to look all over the country to see whats out there. I hope we have been looking far and wide. A 21-25 year old would be perfect. White would be the lazy mans option.

spert
Saintsational Legend

White has had it -forget him

ctqs
Club Player

Alistair Ford.
Darren Flannigan.
Actually, Jeff White was a mad Saints supporter as a young bloke. He actually had a Saints poster on his bedroom wall when he first played for Freo! That is a true story! We nearly got him a decade back, but Melbourne breached the salary cap to pinch him from under our noses.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ill pass
he would of been great when he left the dockers but now no thanks ... maybe he will do the Bell Black thing and go back to the shockers as part of the Warnock Trade :roll:

and befor you ask i would say no to Warnock as well i wouldnt waste $1m on a back up ruckman

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind White but I hope we can have a crack at Warnock & cut Melbourne's lunch.

I was on about him & Ben McKinley 12 months ago... both would be very handy.

ctqs
Club Player

We should take White for the number one draft pick, i.e. they give us their number pick in the draft, and we'll take Jeff White.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If he does not re-sign..

I would expect that Carlton would seek him.

They have an up and running midfield now, which will be even better next year with their young draft picks being a year older.

BUT their two young rucks are both still raw...and White would be a vast improvement on Cloke (let alone Ackland).

If the Demons are foccusing on youth they would probably be happy to trade him for a third round, maybe even fourth round pick.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....