Revenge of the Whipping Boys

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Revenge of the Whipping Boys

Was at the ground today and the most pleasing thing for me was that a number of boys who've, rightly or wrongly, copped a fair bit of stick over the season delivered today.

Raph, so often maligned for his 'rabbit in the spotlight' reputation took them on and, more often than not, came off. I like the boy because something always happens when he has the ball but I have to accept that earlier in the year, that something was often a turnover. Today's highlight for me was Clint's long handball to Raph streaming through the middle for a pinpoint pass into 50. Other posters have commented on his smother and follow up inside 50. Will always have my heart in my mouth when he has the ball but I thought he was brave and worth the risk today.

Sneids missed that gettable set shot in the first quarter just as we were looking to stem the tide and a collective sigh went around the ground. We'd seen it all before. But moments later he had a more difficult one and a number of opportunities to lay it off. You could see him decide to face his demons and drilled one from the 50. A number of decisive possessions, another long goal and the best comic double act with Milney showed great character I thought. We're beeter with him in the team and performing.

Gwilt, described by a critic recently as 'slow of mind and hand' showed that he was far from either in his reinvention in the forward half. So many times today it was one touch, quick hands Gwilt who fed the ball out to set someone up for a snap. He seemed to relish the opportunity to just attack the ball rather than fret about what his opponent was doing. Played his part.

There were others too but I thought that today these 3 repayed the faith that has been shown in them. Hopefully a turning point.

Faithful Even Unto Death
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt was fantastic at times, could have a future yet, Raph was promising despite a few characteristic brain fades and Schneids was ok, no reason to bag these 3.

It seemed that Birss and Charlie were the whipping boys today...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Sainterone
Club Player

I can remember (not that long ago) when BJ was copping a fair bit of criticism here....

Look at BJ now - labelled a Superstar today!! (and after a knee reco too).

Good to see some lesser lights play well today - who will go out for Luke Ball next week (assuming he does play)?

...and can Aaron Fiora get back into the side?

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
GRAMophone
Club Player

Have to agree with everything you said Fidelus!! You must have had the same vantage point as me!!

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt was great, used his body in one on one contests fantastically. Can turn a 50/50 contest into a 70/30 one.

Shouldn't have been paid a free against for hands in the back/pushing though.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Gwilt was great, used his body in one on one contests fantastically. Can turn a 50/50 contest into a 70/30 one.

Shouldn't have been paid a free against for hands in the back/pushing though.
That was a disgrace that call, was pure strength in a fair contest, but still we did get the better end of the deal with the umps this week...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
GRAMophone
Club Player

Agreed - Gwilt can bring something very special to a one on one contest - has won the ball when he should have very little chance at times.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
your momma
Club Player

ONYA DAL!

and Fish!

Gilbo!

dammm

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Sainterone wrote:I can remember (not that long ago) when BJ was copping a fair bit of criticism here....

Look at BJ now - labelled a Superstar today!! (and after a knee reco too).
Some of us old farts who still have our memories can remember previous whipping boys; Lenny Hayes, and before him, Max Hudghton. Some on here jump on players just for the sake of jumping !!

esaint66
SS Life Member

gramophone***111 wrote:Have to agree with everything you said Fidelus!! You must have had the same vantage point as me!!

Yep agreed, great post.