To those who booed our chipping in the last 5 mins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

To those who booed our chipping in the last 5 mins

OK..I have to vent here. When we decided in the last 5 minutes of the game to "shut up shop" I was disgusted to hear some people on the MW actually boo our players...or at least the tactics. Some of them may read this, some I may have organised tickets for next week, but frankly I dont care. I was appalled.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Footy is no longer played "down the guts" and permanantly man on man. Handball is a legitimate tactic. To those who insist on screaming "kick the bloody thing" all game..sheesh...get back to Moorabbin in the 70s cos it aint gonna happen in 2008.

Really got on my goat that some people are never happy. Here we were, 48 points in front of a Top 4 contender with 5 minutes to go, honouring the great man, and some people still want all-out attacking risk-taking footy and hurl sarcastic abuse if it sint deleivered. They are of course the first to scream if a turnover while doing that costs a goal.

Wake up to yourselves and stop being so damned selfish and locked in the past. . Ever thought the players might have been totally buggered?? Easy to judge from your high vantage point 100m away..not.

Looking forward to the footy education some people will gain next weekend by being down on L1 and seeing things a bit more as the players do. Maybe then the screams of abuse to players who cant see others in space might just lessen a bit.

/rant

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Hear, Hear Michael.
Well said.

The players and coaches understand what it si they are trying to do when they decide to 'ice the clock'.

Batnoe

I have now learnt and others should too, if we win and we cant catch on percentage to slow it down, is really worth the risk of an injury?!!

Legendary
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:I have now learnt and others should too, if we win and we cant catch on percentage to slow it down, is really worth the risk of an injury?!!
Exactly.

About controlling your football.

No point going flat out, 110% in the last ten minutes when you have the game won like we used to back in '04.

Just control it, rest a few and ease back the tempo. Much more disciplined and stops injury.

james rose
Club Player

I was abusing our own supporters!

I thought it was disgraceful to boo the chipping...

its smart

if your thinking of percentage for every one of there goals from that point on we had to kick 2 to break even...

that's before you have even thought of the risk of injuries by going 'balls out' attack...

at the end of the first quarter i must of been the only supporter in aisle 39 confident the amount of whining going on was pathetic.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
Batnoe wrote:I have now learnt and others should too, if we win and we cant catch on percentage to slow it down, is really worth the risk of an injury?!!
Exactly.

No point going flat out, 110% in the last ten minutes when you have the game won like we used to back in '04.

Just control it, rest a few and ease back the tempo. Much more disciplined and stops injury.
Like taking some of your older/better/tired players off in the last quarter to preserve/protect them?

benengel14
Club Player

Completely agree.

I wish that entire segment would swipe their tickets/cards in the turnstile, promptly leave, and go watch a replay of some hit-and-giggle Twenty20 game - where they can get all the scoring, risk-taking, all guns blazing they want.

There's a game plan; the players have been drilled - let them follow the instructions and win the 4 points. Those that merely go for the entertainment/spectacle of a 100+ thrashing wouldn't remember the game in a days time anyway.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Re: To those who booed our chipping in the last 5 mins

saint66au wrote:OK..I have to vent here. When we decided in the last 5 minutes of the game to "shut up shop" I was disgusted to hear some people on the MW actually boo our players...or at least the tactics. Some of them may read this, some I may have organised tickets for next week, but frankly I dont care. I was appalled.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Footy is no longer played "down the guts" and permanantly man on man. Handball is a legitimate tactic. To those who insist on screaming "kick the bloody thing" all game..sheesh...get back to Moorabbin in the 70s cos it aint gonna happen in 2008.

Really got on my goat that some people are never happy. Here we were, 48 points in front of a Top 4 contender with 5 minutes to go, honouring the great man, and some people still want all-out attacking risk-taking footy and hurl sarcastic abuse if it sint deleivered. They are of course the first to scream if a turnover while doing that costs a goal.

Wake up to yourselves and stop being so damned selfish and locked in the past. . Ever thought the players might have been totally buggered?? Easy to judge from your high vantage point 100m away..not.

Looking forward to the footy education some people will gain next weekend by being down on L1 and seeing things a bit more as the players do. Maybe then the screams of abuse to players who cant see others in space might just lessen a bit.

/rant
I actually put up a post about not really liking it last week but percentage was a bit more of a factor then to now, but as far as booing that's an absolute disgrace.

Regardless of how good or bad we played but especially after such a great performance and the occasion for Harvey that's pathetic.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

And it's practice for the times that we are only one or two kicks up.

Most supporters only look at the superficial aspects of the game - that's their tragedy. We analyse the game in depth - that's ours.

Legendary
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Legendary wrote:
Exactly.

Like taking some of your older/better/tired players off in the last quarter to preserve/protect them?
Yup.

It's about performing at a high level over 25 weeks ... not about 5 mins at the end of a game you've already won.

Preserve your players and you've got a better chance of doing that.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:OK..I have to vent here. When we decided in the last 5 minutes of the game to "shut up shop" I was disgusted to hear some people on the MW actually boo our players...or at least the tactics. Some of them may read this, some I may have organised tickets for next week, but frankly I dont care. I was appalled.

/rant
If I was there I would have booed.

Get over it.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We were in complete control of the game.

Percentage is important, and any goal would have gone both ways in bringing us closer to Adelaide.

There was little risk of Adelaide kicking goals against us, so unless we were just "saving energy" and putting the cue in the rack, we should have kept at them.

Another 8 goals and we'd be 6th instead of 7th. :D

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:We were in complete control of the game.

Percentage is important, and any goal would have gone both ways in bringing us closer to Adelaide.

There was little risk of Adelaide kicking goals against us, so unless we were just "saving energy" and putting the cue in the rack, we should have kept at them.

5 minutes times 22 games is.......110mins......Nearly a whole game!!!

Legendary
Club Player

But why make your players gut run in the last five minutes and put hamstrings and calves at risk, or make them throw themselves in and risk collision injury, when the game is won?

Alright we might have kicked 2-3 more goals ... but is it really worth it if Rooey pulls a hammy in the last 5 mins going flat out?

Plus we have to back up again next week ... the more energy/fitness we can preserve, the better.

gooner
Club Player

Looks like you've been reading my mind again Michael.
saint66au wrote: Handball is a legitimate tactic. To those who insist on screaming "kick the bloody thing" all game..sheesh...get back to Moorabbin in the 70s cos it aint gonna happen in 2008.
Have a look at the stats for the 1st quarter. We hardly handballed at all and I think we can all agree that we were woeful. In this game handballs more often than not equal run and playing on.

As for the chipping around to close the game down. A few round me were asking what the point was if we'd already won the thing. Well maybe come September we might be in a position where we need to do it in a more pressured situation. I for one will hope that the boys have had a bit of practise.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

/rant
If I was there I would have booed.

Get over it.
Reckon you might need to get over yourself, with all due respect.

Glad to see you put your entertainment ahead of the well-being of the team.

Adelaide were in no danger of scoring because we played low-risk posession footy. It was the perfect time to sing the song, chant the great mans name, anything except sledge your own side because you had blood in your nostrils.

Whinge if we take risks, whinge if we dont. Some people are never satisfied and it shytes me to tears.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

great post, agree 100%.

Obviously some people are just a bit simple unfortunately and don't get it.

Yep, we should've gone flat out, got some late injuries all for 0.05% gain!

I was super impressed with most of what I saw today, and I'll use one word to describe what went right most of the time: "STRUCTURE!"

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

These same people booing us were also booing Adelaide when they'd had about 15-20 possessions in the backline & hadn't moved the ball forward at all. No comprehension of modern day football & couldn't recognise that it was pressure from us that was causing them to be stonewalled.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Have you thought about WHY we 'cant catch on percentage' - putting the cue in the rack over the season has probably cost us 5th spot!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Legendary
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:
Have you thought about WHY we 'cant catch on percentage' - putting the cue in the rack over the season has probably cost us 5th spot!
Putting the cue in the rack might also have saved us couple of hamstrings ... and hence helped win a game or two. And kept us fresher.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
No, losing winnable games against WCE and Collingwood the first time that have cost us 4th/5th.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I was actually laughing. The casual chip kick and leisurely stroll that Blake was performing backwards & forth with Fisher was hilarious! Only because it was crapping the Crows supporters I was neck deep in to no end!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Personally I loved it! Who cares how we WIN it!?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Batnoe

Mr Magic wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
No, losing winnable games against WCE and Collingwood the first time that have cost us 4th/5th.
Exactly, it is the games we should have won and lost that cost us positions on the ladder

If we are 2 goals up in the grand final with 5 minutes to go, we will be the best drilled team to run down the clock... they are practicing for when they need it!

GET OVER IT

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
Exactly, it is the games we should have won and lost that cost us positions on the ladder

If we are 2 goals up in the grand final with 5 minutes to go, we will be the best drilled team to run down the clock... they are practicing for when they need it!

GET OVER IT
It IS the games lost - thanks for the obvious - but it is also percentage that seperates teams that have the same amount of losses. Look at 2006. Picture next week - we may well fall short of the crows by the equivalent of 2 extra goals today.
If you're worried about injuries then you're in the wrong sport.
I wouldn't boo, but i'd have a groan - the way to perfection is to never stop - think of no.35 and why he's such a champ. Ever see him say 'that'll do, might twinge a muscle'
Fair Dinkum!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Otiman wrote:We were in complete control of the game.

Totally agree or worse it could mean the difference from 8th to 9th with so many teams tight on points .

So what if they're tired they're meant to be. The mentally and physically toughest and fittest team who's prepared to go harder than any other team is the one who's going to take this out and risking injuries is a part of it.

So do we also back off at training and take it easy from fear of unnecessarily doing a hamstring?

I'm happy with how we are going but I still think we lack a killer instinct and seem to really only do what we need to