FERGUSON MUST BE RETAINED!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Too bad for Ferguson that he has ended up a list clogger...

His spot on the list is needed for new blood,Ferg and Fisher joined the Saints in the same draft and it looks like they'll be leaving at the same time as well....

This list needs new blood,you can't hang on to players who aren't regular senior players just because they are somebodies favourite player.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Has Max another year in him?
Yes 1 more.
Draft Alex silvagni, put him on the rookie list, lets see wat he has.

Gilbert=Legend

OMG u said something of value!!!

Well done

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i f****** hope so.....for all our sakes......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Red
Club Player

Ferg is aone trick pony.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Ferg must be delisted at years end !! this is not the old days at St Kilda where we keep VFL players on the list for no apparent reasons , its a sad fact of life Ferg just isnt an AFL footballer after 5 years of doing nothing this should be damn obvious we should of left him delisted when we first did it .... have a look at the differance between Mini and Ferg , both delisted both came with a high hope both failed to reach their potential both got given a second chance one grabed it with both hands and worked harder then ever to keep his spot ... the other did the same old same old ... one will stay one will go ...put aside the fact Ferg is a nice bloke the choice is simple
so long ferg rix will be closly following

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Batnoe

I like the Ferg and think he can make it but we really need to have a clean out of the players that are just depth players and get some kids that will be starting 22 in 2 years time

If Ferg was going to make it he would have already, he has had a chance to play a possible 100 games or more for the club but has only played 11 or 12, that is only 2 a year... he has had his chance- he's had 5 years

Gone-

Retired
Harvey
Gehrig

Delist
Ferguson
Howard
Rix or MG or both
Leigh Fisher

Possible delist Fiora

Promote
Geary, McQualter, Eddy

That gives us a few spots ready to get more players, if we really must delist three players minumum again we can do that and pick one of them up but we have not turned our list around enough in last few years to see kids coming through

we need 5 or 6 - 18 year olds on our list

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:I like the Ferg and think he can make it but we really need to have a clean out of the players that are just depth players and get some kids that will be starting 22 in 2 years time

If Ferg was going to make it he would have already, he has had a chance to play a possible 100 games or more for the club but has only played 11 or 12, that is only 2 a year... he has had his chance- he's had 5 years

Gone-

Retired
Harvey
Gehrig

Delist
Ferguson
Howard
Rix or MG or both
Leigh Fisher

Possible delist Fiora

Promote
Geary, McQualter, Eddy

That gives us a few spots ready to get more players, if we really must delist three players minumum again we can do that and pick one of them up but we have not turned our list around enough in last few years to see kids coming through

we need 5 or 6 - 18 year olds on our list
Surely we dont have to promote geary twice.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Geary is already on our senior list.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

we should promote Eddy and mini and maybe Miles (i dunno i asked his uncle if hes heard if hes gunna be promoted at years end and he told me that he hasnt been told anything from the club or the coaches what the plans are for next year yet other then to keep on working hard )

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
spiral2
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:we should promote Eddy and mini and maybe Miles (i dunno i asked his uncle if hes heard if hes gunna be promoted at years end and he told me that he hasnt been told anything from the club or the coaches what the plans are for next year yet other then to keep on working hard )
do you breath when you talk? lol

really appreciate your posts St Trav but jeez they are hard to read!

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

I think these changes should be made at seasons end:

RETAIN:
Allen, Jarryd
Armitage, David
Baker, Steven
Ball, Luke
Birss, Shane
Blake, Jason
Clarke, Raphael
Clarke, Xavier
Dal Santo, Nick
Dempster, Sean
Fisher, Sam
Gardiner, Charlie
Gardiner, Michael
Geary, Jarryn
Gilbert, Sam
Goddard, Brendon
Gram, Jason
Gwilt, James
Hayes, Lenny
Howard, Brad
Hudghton, Max
Jones, Clinton
King, Steven
Koschitzke, Justin
Maguire, Matt
McEvoy, Ben
Milne, Stephen
Montagna, Leigh
Riewoldt, Nick
Schneider, Adam
Steven, Jack

Miles, Luke (R)
Haretuku, Khan (R)

ROOKIE ELEVATION:
Eddy, Robert
McQualter, Andrew

DELIST:
Rix, Michael
Ferguson, Matthew
Fiora, Aaron

Attard, Jayden (R)
Chivers, Glenn (R)
van Rheenen, Luke (R)

TRADE:
Fisher, Leigh

RETIRED:
Harvey, Robert
Gehrig, Fraser

AlpineStars
Club Player

I'd keep him, Rix, L.Fish ,Fiora and M Gardner (Delist).

Retired Gerig and Harvey

What to do with Goose? We all want him back but will he ever be the same since Broken Leg?

Wake me up when September ends.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: FERGUSON MUST BE RETAINED!

barks4eva wrote: , makes about as much progress as joffaboy would with Angelina Jolie and then as if seemingly summoned forth by Houdini, Rudi Geller or some tried hard confidence trickster, the very next week, the old rabbit out of the hat, abracadbra!
wouldn't want to break up a family and destroy Brad Pitts confidence. Anyway dont like chicks with tatts.

As for Ferg, hope he gets picked up by another AFl team as he has talent however it seems that he just cant get a go at the Saints. Didn't help himself by not kicking a goal in his games this year. I mean he was playing as a forward.

He is also injury prone and this may go against him.

Good luck Ferg, hope you get a gig somewhere that needs a forward. Adelaide could do worse.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: FERGUSON MUST BE RETAINED!

barks4eva wrote:
[, and then after ONE HALF GAME where he hardly touches it, he's banished to the backline and then sent back to Casey the following week.
I thought he got injured ?????? and was not available to play the following week....and that other players then came in and seized their chance.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 28 Aug 2008 12:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i really like ferg but he's been on the list for about 5yrs now and has not been able to cement a spot

in the last decent draft for sometime i think at least one of Ferguson/C.Gardiner has to go and I suspect Charlie would get the nod because he has the greater to improve quickly (AFL player is suppossed to start playing their best after about 80 games, Charlie's played about 60?, Fergs, 15?)

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
Yes 1 more.
Draft Alex silvagni, put him on the rookie list, lets see wat he has.
a club just doesnt see what someone has, they look at what they could bring to a club and if/how they could get better...

not just seeing what someone has

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Ferg must be delisted at years end !! this is not the old days at St Kilda where we keep VFL players on the list for no apparent reasons , its a sad fact of life Ferg just isnt an AFL footballer after 5 years of doing nothing this should be damn obvious we should of left him delisted when we first did it .... have a look at the differance between Mini and Ferg , both delisted both came with a high hope both failed to reach their potential both got given a second chance one grabed it with both hands and worked harder then ever to keep his spot ... the other did the same old same old ... one will stay one will go ...put aside the fact Ferg is a nice bloke the choice is simple
so long ferg rix will be closly following
How can you say that Ferg didnt work hard enough.

That extremely simple reasoning - The same effort does not always result in the same outcome.

Going by your thinking;

Everyone in the AFL who made it - Worked very hard.

Everyone that didn't make it in AFL - Didn't work hard.

This isn't science mate.

Is this reasoning from a child or are you an adult trav?

ThePunter
Club Player

Players under contract get delisted rarely. Andrew McQualter at the end of last year was an exception, influenced by the fact that he was young enough to be rookie listed, and therefore cost us nothing if elevated, which he was.

Rix and Fiora cannot be rookie listed, and would cost us against the salary cap for 2009 if delisted or not. Therefore, I think it highly unlikely that either will be delisted at the end of the year. Rix would feel especially safe if M Gardiner, who is out of contract, is delisted.

I think it will be L Fisher, M Ferguson, M Gardiner and C Gardiner delisted, R Harvey & F Gehrig retired, A McQualter, R Eddy and J Attard elevated, leaving three open spots on the list. If we need to open up more space on the list then J Gwilt and S Birss would be the next to go.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Noticed he was playing defence, maybe even FB, in the recent Scorpions game... This is his problem, he's a jack of all trades, master of none..

At AFL level, he simly isnt big enough to hold down key positions, and unfortuantely he doesnt have the pace/agility/creativity of a flanker/winger...

He's a key position player in a flankers body... works ok and VFL, doesnt cut it at AFL...

Delist...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:If we're not going to play him then why keep him?
exactly.

We have too many iffy players on our list at the moment, and Ferg is definitely one of them.

Being a nice bloke, good clubman etc is all well and good, but it can't save you forever.

Ferg = another Troy Schwarze IMO.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

ThePunter wrote:I think it will be L Fisher, M Ferguson, M Gardiner and C Gardiner delisted, R Harvey & F Gehrig retired, A McQualter, R Eddy and J Attard elevated, leaving three open spots on the list. If we need to open up more space on the list then J Gwilt and S Birss would be the next to go.
Interesting that a player like Charlie will be delisted, although he's playing seniors???

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I have nothing against the kid, but at some point in time you just gotta say that its just not meant to be.

every club has countless "coodabeens" whose individual circumstances conspired against them.

He's been on the list for a while - cut him loose and hopefully another club picks him up and his luck changes for the better. I hope he is able to at least string together a few years of AFL footy somewhere.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
ThePunter wrote:I think it will be L Fisher, M Ferguson, M Gardiner and C Gardiner delisted, R Harvey & F Gehrig retired, A McQualter, R Eddy and J Attard elevated, leaving three open spots on the list. If we need to open up more space on the list then J Gwilt and S Birss would be the next to go.
Interesting that a player like Charlie will be delisted, although he's playing seniors???
I agree, I can't see Charlie getting delisted. I would still think that Gwilt is more likely, and Howard more likely than both.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Can't see Ferg staying. Lyon is picking Gardiner and Gwilt ahead of him, and I would've thought Gardiner is a certainty to get the chop...then again, you never know what Lyon has planned.

My prediction

Retire: Gehrig, Harvey

Delist: Ferguson, L.Fisher, M.Gardiner

Elevate: Eddy, McQualter

My preference

Retire: Gehrig, Harvey

Delist: Ferguson, C.Gardiner, Rix

Trade (any pick under 50): L.Fisher, Maguire, Jones

Elevate: Eddy, McQualter, Miles (cut all other rookies)