Is King the best recycled Ruckman we've had recently?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

When King and Gardiner were playing together in the middle of this year, I thought Gardiner was the best of the two.

Hopefully we can see Gardi come back soon.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:When King and Gardiner were playing together in the middle of this year, I thought Gardiner was the best of the two.

Hopefully we can see Gardi come back soon.
Yes it would be good to see, but I somehow doubt it I'm afraid......

Yeah 30 next year, but has only played 27 matches in 4 years....

Doesn't seem his body can take it any more IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

don't hold your breath re Gardiner. A close member of Gardi's family is my physio. Reckon's his feet are stuffed. We'll be lucky to get more than a few games in a row out of him if any at all.

bethb7
Club Player

Yeah i'v had my doubts about King through the season, but he really impressed me on the weekend when Birss got a big hit and he went over and defended him gave the crows player a good shove & a bit of a jumper punch I liked that. He's also a great tap ruckmen to Lenny they link up very well together, he has I think certainly made a great difference to our midfield as we all know a good ruckmen makes a good midfield. From the list of our recyclyed ruckmen King head and shoulders above the rest.
Last edited by bethb7 on Thu 28 Aug 2008 8:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
howlinwolf
Club Player

This is an interesting topic.
I agree with some thoughts here and disagree with others.
Kingy isn't the greatest around the ground. He isn't a great overhead mark or possession getter. He's a very good tap ruck and a link man with the quick handpass.
I have been thinking for many weeks now where would we be right now without him ?
Gardi is MIA, Kosi isn't he best option in the ruck atm and Blake, well he's my height, i.e not a ruck in today's game.

We would not be in the finals without Kingy.

Now he needs to play next year for sure. The experience and knowledge he can pass on to Ben McEvoy will be invaluable. Ben isn't quite ready yet and a year with Kingy as a mentor will see me very happy Kingy came to our Club.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Agree that King has been the best *ruckman* of the lot whilst Ackland got a few possessions around the ground.
Vidovic was awesome and intimidating in 97 when it mattered.
Would love to see King play against the Cats in the GF - if others back him up he could give them some grief IMO, he would be far from a pushover against the old teammates and has something to show. Go Kingy!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I have never been a big rap for Michael Gardiner when we signed him, and suggested that it will be another Matthew Allen fiasco, when Essendon picked him up after a few years with injuries and did little after being named All Australian ruckman...

But it was worth the punt, for minimal outlay....

Full credit to him for pulling his head in and not having any reported off field discretion's ....

Maybe we should recycle another ruck for next year... and drop Gardiner???

Jeff White or any ruck with a couple of years in them without giving up a draft pick

Just someone to fill the void until McEvoy is ready and until we can recruit another ruck...

I here there is about 10 ruck options in the next draft

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:I have never been a big rap for Michael Gardiner when we signed him, and suggested that it will be another Matthew Allen fiasco, when Essendon picked him up after a few years with injuries and did little after being named All Australian ruckman...

But it was worth the punt, for minimal outlay....

Full credit to him for pulling his head in and not having any reported off field discretion's ....

Maybe we should recycle another ruck for next year... and drop Gardiner???

Jeff White or any ruck with a couple of years in them without giving up a draft pick

Just someone to fill the void until McEvoy is ready and until we can recruit another ruck...

I here there is about 10 ruck options in the next draft
Interesting view... Iwould have thought that King would go through the motions after a long career with cats and a GF medal. But noow I can see his leadership qualities. He also appears to have embraced the club and I dare say he'll have a point to prove come finals time.

As for MG and Rix... I'd be looking to delist both if MG won't be fit anymore.

Maybe, just maybe, someone like White would also benefit from a change of scenery as did King?

I suspect he may have gone stale at Melbourne and could be worth a 1 tear deal as a back up. IMHO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Gardiner is done. The only thing he can do now is tap, and that's just not enough for a spot in the 22. He and Rix should both be delisted after the season to make way for some younger, more capable bodies. I doubt we'll go for Jeff White either as something tells me he's not a RL type of player.

King can handle top ruck duties. Kosi, McEvoy and Blake can do the backing up.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Ross.

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

mbogo - how good is your memory????????

it annoys me when time changes facts...

In 1997

L.Vidovic played 7 out of 25 games in the seniors....

Averaged 5.8 possesions and 11 hit-outs a game and kicked 1 goal.....Just how awesome was he??????

They are worse numbers than Monkorst and Capuano produced.....

spert
Saintsational Legend

A proven finals performer in 2007

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Ackland was very good in 2005......

...he played 90 games from 1990 to 1998....
Which would put him above most ruckmen that we have secured from other clubs would it not???

Not saying he was a star. But he was a good No2 ruckman.

In terms of ruckmen that we have gained from other clubs he is one of the better ones that we have secured.

Vidovic however was the perfect foil to Everitt and supplied what Spider lacked...aggression and the ability to intimidate . There are no stats on that but it is worth a fair bit, and more so back then when the games was less "fair".

Even without Everitt, put Vidovic into that 97 GF team and we would have been a lot more likely to have had a positive result.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 29 Aug 2008 1:17pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Even without Everitt, put Vidovic into that 97 GF tea and we would have beena lot more likely to have hada postive result.
And a concussed Jarman.........

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He would have made some difference no doubt......but he was not the star he is portrayed on here.......he was a fringe player

it's funny how favourites on here have their output exaggerated.....

in 1997 he only played a handful of senior games......basically all he did was allow Everitt to go fwd......Loewe did more rucking in 1997......

and there was cameras in 97......it wasn't 1945......

knocking Jarman out was not the answer, a suitable opponent was....

yipper
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:He would have made some difference no doubt......but he was not the star he is portrayed on here.......he was a fringe player

in 1997 he only played a handful of senior games......basically all he did was allow Everitt to go fwd......Loewe did more rucking in 1997......

Mart, big Laz has told me straight out that he would have knocked Jarman into the next suburb if he was out there. Says we would've then won - and he would've retired straight after the game. And I believe him!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:He would have made some difference no doubt......but he was not the star he is portrayed on here.......he was a fringe player

Would've done a better job than Cook. :shock: Alves didn't let Stewie near the middle on GF day.

would've knocked out Jarman and that other 1 hit wonder who kicked 5... Ellen?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jamie was having enough trouble keeping up with him.....not sure big Laze would have been able to catch him in play.......if it was a stone cold king hit.....the premiership would be tainted......

IMO if you have to resort to thuggery to win.......you do not deserve to...

Lazer would have had his career tarnished, and would be infamous....bit like the guy that took out Greening.......BTW did we not try that tactic in 1971 - with no effect

suss
Club Player

Wasn't it big Lazer and Burkie that gang tackled MacKernan in the prelim, dislocating his shoulder? Arguably it turned the game our way...

yipper
SS Life Member

suss wrote:Wasn't it big Lazer and Burkie that gang tackled MacKernan in the prelim, dislocating his shoulder? Arguably it turned the game our way...
No. It was Cook and Burke

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i would have been happy with a king hit to win a gf...

bloody happy

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Jamie was having enough trouble keeping up with him.....not sure big Laze would have been able to catch him in play.......if it was a stone cold king hit.....the premiership would be tainted......

Lazer would have had his career tarnished, and would be infamous....bit like the guy that took out Greening.......BTW did we not try that tactic in 1971 - with no effect
Please.... look at what they did to Harves in the 1st few minutes.

Shall we give the 04 Wizard cup to Geelong coz of Guerra's hit on Ling?

Bono
Club Player

I know the original post only went back 8 years but VIDOVIC was far more effective and valuable to the team in '97 than King is in '08.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bono - You are Kidding????? surely......

I will say it again....Vidovic would not have finished in the top 25 in the 97 B&F........

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Jamie was having enough trouble keeping up with him.....not sure big Laze would have been able to catch him in play.......if it was a stone cold king hit.....the premiership would be tainted......

I actually live across the raod from Jamie. I've often thought about putting on a Jarman mask and knocking on his door. :lol: