St kilda only club to have met with cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

I think I'd wait for a more reliable source before we get too excited.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Other clubs will meet with him, no doubt. The draft is in late November isn't it? There's plenty of time for others to meet with him, and I suspect a club with a pick in the 30's will take him.

That said, if we could get him with our third pick I'd be very happy. We would gain an elite midfielder and lose nothing of value. The guy does clearly have personal issues, but we're recruiting footballers, not friends. If he's a knob it will not affect anyone on here one bit, so I don't see the point in whinging about it.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Definitely get him.

The only drawback for me is that MG is there too. Our culture can handle one, but two might be difficult.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Firstly he will go in the PSD as he can put a figure on his head so we will not have to worry about losing a pick if we get him. Secondly I very doubt MG will be at the club next year as he just cannot get on the psrk and we cannot continue to carry players 30 years old who do not play.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Take him for pick 16. This will give us the best chance of back-to-backs.

Daniel Kerr is 25, Ben Cousins is 30.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Take him for pick 16. This will give us the best chance of back-to-backs.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Saints43
Club Player

Saintschampions08 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Not really all that happy about this, the guy is a clear knob...
Might be...in your opinion.
I reckon it's pretty clear... he's a knob. and this may be a generalisiation but so is anybody who has 'Such is Life' tattooed across their stomach.

But a fantastic footballer. Any club that picks him up needs to be really sure he is medically right because if he relapses you cannot just kick him out onto the street - they are going to have to manage his recovery, the media. Massive distraction for a club if it goes wrong.

I love Daniel Kerr, though. Love him. If we could get him to the club I would be rapt. And there's only about three players I wouldn't send the other way to get it done. Maybe two.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

for pick 50 he'd be a bonus, a good replacement for Harvs.

Cuz should be able to play 50% game time and get 15 to 20 possies, like Harvs.

Could be a good fit, but it is Hutchy, so who knows, and with Caro and Throbbie on strike we won't know till Monday what some of the other side of the fence think!

jay young
Club Player

A year out of the game dodgy legs over 30 no way the club has too many average players as it is . the club should just go for young blokes or fit stars under 24 . I think for us to win the flag this year kossie both clarkes fiora and ball have to play better than riew mont hayes . M gard and birss will have to play the games of thier careers as well. If they dont then dangle them for early draft picks we would get something good for kossie and ball

Beekay
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:for pick 50 he'd be a bonus, a good replacement for Harvs.

Cuz should be able to play 50% game time and get 15 to 20 possies, like Harvs.

Hate to pump a bloke up, but I honestly think Cousins would jump into our top 3 best performed players at the club within a few rounds if we managed to grab him.

The guy is a serious work horse and wouldn't be taking it easy.

An in form Lenny Hayes and Nick Riewoldt are the other two performers.

Cousins will be getting a lot of ball and a lot of game time no matter what club he ends up at.

More than an average of 15 possessions and much more than 50% game time.

kaos theory
Club Player

IF we can get him relatively cheaply (which I'd say we could), then I would take him in an instant.

People need to remember this guy was one of the best midfielders in the game 2 years ago. He is 30 years old, but a natural super athelete. He could provide at least 3 to 4 years of quality service to us.

Imagine Cusions & lenny, ball, dal, monty, goddard, x. clarke, gram, armitage, etc. through the midfiled. That is a massive & immediate lift to our midfield ability. We need that to compete for a flag.

MG was supposed to be a cultural risk, but he hasn't distabilized the club....neither will Cuz....also he knows this is his last chance to play afl.

Forget kerr, will cost us too much (players, cash & draft). We would be 'robbing peter to pay paul'

kaos theory
Club Player

for pick 50 he'd be a bonus, a good replacement for Harvs.

Cuz should be able to play 50% game time and get 15 to 20 possies, like Harvs
Harvs is one of the games greats, but at 37 he is significantly past his prime, though still a great contributor to the team.

Cousins will add much more to our midfield next yr.... He was one of the best mids in the game 2 years ago.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

You only need to look back exactly 12 months ago to realise how good this guy was...

Round 21 2007 vs us @ Telstra Dome, we needed to win to ensure finals. We lead by 29 pts early in the third quarter, then stepped up Cousins. 20 second half possessions and 4 goal assists. Eagles won by 8 pts, Cousins setting up the sealer in the dying seconds.

... and that was only his fifth game for the season....

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Surely he would go into the PSD - yes, I would have Cousins in a heartbeat.....number 9 will be available :shock:

They could draft the devil himself, if it helps win games
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 29 Aug 2008 10:18am, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup, in a heartbeat...

Better fit for him here then the pies, look at the Didak fiasco.... mates with MG (who we've looked after well and has managed to keep a low profile while at our club).

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I can see I'm in the minority, and that's fine I guess.

A 30 year old that has played minimal football for two years, finished his season last year with a hamstring injury (his third of that year) and then capitulated privately afterwards.

Add that to all the publicity associated with him (both positive and negative I grant you).

We pick up a 30 year old, who does hammy after hammy because his body is actually shot.

Or he does exceptionally well, we make the finals or whatever, and he's gone in a couple of years.

I just can't see the long term benefit. Pick a kid who could be a 10 year player. Don't pick up 30 year olds.

I'm sick of this topping up theorising. It never works.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Don't like this at all.

Great player and all that, but seriously are we considering a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a 30 year old?

I'm not totally closed to the idea, but I'd rather chase Daniel Kerr than Ben Cousins.
Danier Kerr will cost you:
Pick #10, Pick #28, Nick Dal Santo and probably Pick #46.

Ben Cousins:
Pick#28 or Pick#46.

Also - Expect Cousins to be signed on a 1 year deal, with a low starting salary (probably higher bonuses).
Expect Kerr to be signed on a 3+ year deal, with a high starting salary and higher bonuses.

Not to mention, expect almost every club in the AFL to be after Kerr, very little competition for Cousins.

Have always said, and still do - would absolutely love Cousins at the club, regardless of where we finish. Might teach some of the players what 'trying your guts out' really means.
Kerr gives you 7+ years. How many Cousins?

I think the better teams building for sustained success aren't going to be the ones looking at Cousins.

In other words, you won't see Hawthorn in the mix for him.

Short term fix. Take him in the preseason draft only. Only. Let an early pick go in this draft at your peril.
hawks took dew despite certain people at the club not agreeing with this recruitment.... anyone remember the pictures of dew before preseason :O

I think he would be a great addition to our list.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
markp
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:I can see I'm in the minority, and that's fine I guess.

A 30 year old that has played minimal football for two years, finished his season last year with a hamstring injury (his third of that year) and then capitulated privately afterwards.

Add that to all the publicity associated with him (both positive and negative I grant you).

We pick up a 30 year old, who does hammy after hammy because his body is actually shot.

Or he does exceptionally well, we make the finals or whatever, and he's gone in a couple of years.

I just can't see the long term benefit. Pick a kid who could be a 10 year player. Don't pick up 30 year olds.

I'm sick of this topping up theorising. It never works.
All is obviously conditional on the shape of his body and the price we would have to pay... he has that incredible ability to push himself on and on (comparable to the Great man).

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I think I'd wait for a more reliable source before we get too excited.
That is true...Fevola has going to Sydney (or they were making a BIG play for him) according to Hutchy.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:I think I'd wait for a more reliable source before we get too excited.
That is true...Fevola has going to Sydney (or they were making a BIG play for him) according to Hutchy.

Hutchy said they had informally offered him a contract.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Hutchy said they had informally offered him a contract.
:lol:

Yes maybe we are putting a few carts before a couple of horses!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

last night when i heard i was a bit upset cause im not a Benny cousins fan (most west aussies who dont follow the eagles arent) but after thinking about it last night you gotta look at the facts .

last year we wasted a pick on Fraser in the draft and i dont think its going to kill us

the bloke is 30 but at the same time he is a freak fitness wise and his effort towards the footy is second to none

on bennys worst games he still got 15 possesions and demanded the hardest tags

he is always a good chance at a couple of goals a game

he trains like a mad man and pushes himself beyond exhaustion in the game

we dont have the young impresionable list we once had the likes of goddard monty Roo Dal fisher ect ect would not be let astray from him as they are their own men now not boys

on the negative he does have an axe swinging above his head from the AFL on the drugs issue

he hasnt really shown that he is clean and a fear is if we do take him and he again stuffs up Stkilda will cop the same treatment west coast did and with our bank ballance could we survive it ?

his asking price is also an issue with other clubs who might not necceserrily be interested showing intrest to force us to use a higher pick on him

in the end i have to agree on the statement "we could draft the devil himself if he helps us win a flag" really as a footy club we should draft on abillity first then on personallity if you look at all the flag winners over the last decade each one has an egotistical knob head playing for them so maybe thats the key element we have been missing ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Don't like this at all.

Great player and all that, but seriously are we considering a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a 30 year old?

I'm not totally closed to the idea, but I'd rather chase Daniel Kerr than Ben Cousins.
Danier Kerr will cost you:
Pick #10, Pick #28, Nick Dal Santo and probably Pick #46.

Ben Cousins:
Pick#28 or Pick#46.

Also - Expect Cousins to be signed on a 1 year deal, with a low starting salary (probably higher bonuses).
Expect Kerr to be signed on a 3+ year deal, with a high starting salary and higher bonuses.

Not to mention, expect almost every club in the AFL to be after Kerr, very little competition for Cousins.

Have always said, and still do - would absolutely love Cousins at the club, regardless of where we finish. Might teach some of the players what 'trying your guts out' really means.
Kerr gives you 7+ years. How many Cousins?

I think the better teams building for sustained success aren't going to be the ones looking at Cousins.

In other words, you won't see Hawthorn in the mix for him.

Short term fix. Take him in the preseason draft only. Only. Let an early pick go in this draft at your peril.
hawks took dew despite certain people at the club not agreeing with this recruitment.... anyone remember the pictures of dew before preseason :O

I think he would be a great addition to our list.
same could be said of aker most were reluctant cause he was too old and only had 3 seasons max ... from this years performance hes prob got another 2 years after this and hes been that missing key to the doggies soooo maybe somtimes the risk is worth the payout ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the bloke is 30 but at the same time he is a freak fitness wise and his effort towards the footy is second to none
Look I'm hearing all the arguments.

But he's still a 30 yo 'fitness freak' who did three hammys last year. Three.

If this all pans out and he comes to St Kilda, I'll support him, but I'll also have a niggling worrying doubt also.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Trav,
Aka hadn't missed so many games of football.

And Aka doesn't have the same sort of off field baggage and body abuse that Cousins has had.

He's not someone we can ever compare others to.

Cousins is in a league of his own.