Geelong and Gerard Whateley getting too arrogant.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Geelong and Gerard Whateley getting too arrogant.

Gerard Whateley on ABC radio as good as said the flag should be given to Geelong now. He has never managed to hide his bias in the past, making him a very poor replacement for Tim Lane, but his comments have reached a new high in arrogance. Our win yesterday was 'worthless' because we were playing an undermanned team. No doubt we were, but who did Geelong play on Saturday to record their "magnificent " win?

He dismissed all teams in the eight, other than Geelong. We have beaten no-one according to him - except, of course, Adelaide by 8 goals, Hawthorn by 5 and North as well. Then again, I suppose these teams aren't worthy to be in Geelong's company either.

In addition, and somewhat surprisingly, the Geelong coach was quoted this morning as saying they are more confident now than at this time last year.

They are a great team, no doubt. But as the saying goes, "Pride comes before a fall." No-one gave us a chance of beating them in the pre season cup, but we saw what relentless pressure can do. Next Sunday's game is not quite over yet.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Gerard Whately is a terrible commentator and insanely one eyed Geelong supporter.
Fair enough being one eyed but not when you're professionally calling a game.
It seems the media is full of these types these days.
Such a shame we lost Clinton Grybas.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

He can say what he likes.

Does anybody care?

I think we've got a chance. That's my opinion. He's allowed his - and he's got a very strong argument to back it up: try September success and one loss this year.

Let's see what happens on Sunday.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

starsign
Club Player

I muted the Fox telecast 20 mins into the game beoause Dwayne Russell kept harping on ad nauseum how fruitless the Saints efforts were in attempting to reach the required % for 4th
At that stage I was only concerned about us playing good honest attacking footy to make sure of the bloody WIN
So I turned on the ABC radio to be rid of the imbecile, only to have to put up with that Whateley clown in return

I nicknamed the 2 AFL head honchos Zig & Zag after their consistant knee jerk reactions and aboutfaces, but these 2 common potatoes almost deserve a similar title.
Both just seem to open their mouths to change feet.
Finished up just watching it and jumping up and down yelling my sox off like I was there, for the 2nd half!

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:Gerard Whately is a terrible commentator and insanely one eyed Geelong supporter.
Spot on about the loss of Clinton Grybas, he was the best and so far ahead of the likes of healy, sheahan, wilson and other morons on channel10

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

STILLWAITING wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:Gerard Whately is a terrible commentator and insanely one eyed Geelong supporter.
Spot on about the loss of Clinton Grybas, he was the best and so far ahead of the likes of healy, sheahan, wilson and other morons on channel10
Grybus was a commentator. The others you mention are opinion people. They dont do anything similar to what Grybus did.

4ever_saint
Club Player

i would've thought the most one-eyed geelong supporter/commentator was billy brownless, but even he was giving us wraps on sen this morning ;)

was actually quite entertaining to hear gt and billy face-off on the st kilda v geelong clash this weekend :lol:

Junior
Club Player

Still have a laugh when i saw the look on Whately's face at 3/4 time of the 2004 Wizard Cup, cocky as all hell, was just about crying at the end of it.

I always think scoring shots are an indication of how competitive a game is and Geelong only had two more than us.

Whilst the Essendon game was pointless as a comparison to a final the fact is that mentally for a side to go in and know that they need to win by 96 points and achieve it is amazing regardless of the opposition.

Over the years no one though Buster Douglas could beat Mike Tyson, no one thought America could lose the Americas Cup.

History is full of upsets, Geelong are a great side but if they get to cocky and show no respect for the opposition then they will fall on their backside.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
widereceiver
Club Player

Re: Geelong and Gerard Whateley getting too arrogant.

[quote="perfectionist"]Gerard Whateley on ABC radio as good as said the flag should be given to Geelong now. He has never managed to hide his bias in the past, making him a very poor replacement for Tim Lane,

Tim Lane managed to hide his bias???

Not when he covered Carlton games.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
doristhesaint
Club Player

Whateley writes a column for the Geelong Advertiser.Heres a snippet of his dribble from today!
"The opposition is weak with the exception of Hawthorn. That St.Kilda has scrounged its way into the fourth after the mediocrity it has consistently served up is an indictment on the quailty of the challengers" :roll:
That is the type of crap he writes everyweek, would love to wipe that smugness off his face this week.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Isn't Wheatley that ugly looking, pencil necked geek with a pimply face.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

doristhesaint wrote:Whateley writes a column for the Geelong Advertiser.Heres a snippet of his dribble from today!
"The opposition is weak with the exception of Hawthorn. That St.Kilda has scrounged its way into the fourth after the mediocrity it has consistently served up is an indictment on the quailty of the challengers" :roll:
That is the type of crap he writes everyweek, would love to wipe that smugness off his face this week.
Yes, that's what he said on the ABC. Then again, if anyone is an expert on mediocrity it's him!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Couldn't care less what any flog in the media thinks - if he wants to disrespect the other 15 clubs, fine, let him go for his life. What goes around comes around, and he could end up making a very public tool of himself.
Remember, the ones you go past on the way up are the same ones you go past on the way down.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Ackland St. Blues
Club Player

Mmmm. Biased sports media personalities. Have you tuned into SEN lately?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Also said we had an advantage over Adelaide cos we played the last match of the season and knew what the senario was unlike the other teams. I didn't realise he was a Cats supporter but now I understand the context of his statement. He really is a sour Puss. A nasley sour Puss

Another opportunity awaits!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Would love to hear his comments when we smack them back into 2006 on Sunday...

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Goose is king wrote:Isn't Wheatley that ugly looking, pencil necked geek with a pimply face.

haha oh yes! Thats exactly what he is!! :D

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Ackland St. Blues wrote:Mmmm. Biased sports media personalities. Have you tuned into SEN lately?
Has Tanking Carlscum closed down for the summer?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

You want bias commentating, did anyone hear the broadcast on 3AW of the Adelaide Bulldogs game.
Those guys weren't commentating, they were barracking for Adelaide.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:You want bias commentating, did anyone hear the broadcast on 3AW of the Adelaide Bulldogs game.
I reckon Healy and Frawley did a pretty good job of barracking yesterday.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:You want bias commentating, did anyone hear the broadcast on 3AW of the Adelaide Bulldogs game.
Someone had to counterbalance DrainPipe.

axcellence
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
I reckon they were barracking against sleeping pills... I snored heavily as the replay went on... their commentary was that exciting.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

never heard of the prick.........care factor zero..........hope girlong feel the same way as him........pride cometh before a fall........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
and it was great hearing spud show his true colours

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:I muted the Fox telecast 20 mins into the game beoause Dwayne Russell kept harping on ad nauseum how fruitless the Saints efforts were in attempting to reach the required % for 4th
At that stage I was only concerned about us playing good honest attacking footy to make sure of the bloody WIN
So I turned on the ABC radio to be rid of the imbecile, only to have to put up with that Whateley clown in return

I nicknamed the 2 AFL head honchos Zig & Zag after their consistant knee jerk reactions and aboutfaces, but these 2 common potatoes almost deserve a similar title.
Both just seem to open their mouths to change feet.
Finished up just watching it and jumping up and down yelling my sox off like I was there, for the 2nd half!

flowering russell is pissed off that we get the same benefits as girlong by finishing 4th ...and girlong is an 8 win better side.....

...no s*** sherlock..

...actually...finishing first gives you the benefit of playing the 4th best team....rather than the 2nd or 3rd best team..........what a f-wit......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.