REVENGE for 1991 Elimination Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

REVENGE for 1991 Elimination Final

Time for a bit of revenge against the Catters for our 1991 elimination final defeat - a game we should have won but lost because of the actions of that gutless dog Ablett :evil:

Burkey should be allowed to address the players before the match and get em fired up by telling them why we owe farking Girlong a farking smashing

Cmon Saints take vengeance on behalf of your suffering diehard supporters!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
crowjelly
Club Player

This game remains in my memory as one of the best I saw as a spectacle - but the worst for the result.

At least this Sunday is not an elimination - the finals system now is a more equitable way of doing things.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: REVENGE for 1991 Elimination Final

Devilhead wrote:Time for a bit of revenge against the Catters for our 1991 elimination final defeat - a game we should have won but lost because of the actions of that gutless dog Ablett :evil:

Burkey should be allowed to address the players before the match and get em fired up by telling them why we owe farking Girlong a farking smashing

Cmon Saints take vengeance on behalf of your suffering diehard supporters!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Now that's what I'me talking about, Go you good thang!!

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Goody
Club Player

It was a great game to watch, Lockett kicked 9 and could have kicked a dozen.
He went on to say he failed in that game, we just wernt good enough.
Close the whole game and went down to the wire.
Burke was belted from pillar to post

Followed Saints since '71
Sir Robert Harvey was my favorite player
Stewie Lowe and Plugger before that.
Loved watching Rooey and Jack Steven
Now looking forward to the future

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, but most just say " What the f#&k happened!".
doristhesaint
Club Player

Re: REVENGE for 1991 Elimination Final

Devilhead wrote:Time for a bit of revenge against the Catters for our 1991 elimination final defeat - a game we should have won but lost because of the actions of that gutless dog Ablett :evil:

and 4 david grant

starsign
Club Player

not that I would advocate that sort of thing, but there would be a little bit of Karma present if Gary Ablett jnr happened to be "taken out" in the manner Burkey was by his old man that day!

howlinwolf
Club Player

Great thread Devilhead.

Burkey to talk to the boys !
I was there too and left bitterly disappointed. We could have easily taken that game. Ablett's dirty half a coathanger to Burkey's head brought on the helmet from there on. Ablett was a professional hitman. Plenty of other examples too. Kristian Bardsley at the city end of KP.

I still have visions of Andrew Rodgers getting dragged along hanging on to Plugger's shorts !

Revenge would be oh so sweet this Sunday !

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

David Grant was a gun player in those days. He was a big loss too that day, courtesy of Ablett Snr. Grrrrr

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Such a great game. Such a shame the result didn't go our way.

Plugger was incredible. And I'll never forget that first goal by Gilby McAdam. Electrifying!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ablett mongrel was the reason Burkie had to wear a helmet for the rest of his career.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
wolfpup
Club Player

remember that game out at vfl park, 7 point loss and winmar must have kicked the ball 70 metres and just missed a goal in the 3rd quarter.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Yeah well its great that we all remember it but now its time for a bit of FAAARKING PAYBACK :evil: :evil: :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
esaint66
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:Yeah well its great that we all remember it but now its time for a bit of FAAARKING PAYBACK :evil: :evil: :evil:

Spot on !!!

Burkey to rev 'em up and then the boys to give Girlong a nice old shelacking.

C'mon Saints this isn't just another game ... this is history making payback :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Frankie Boy
Club Player

Yep. Was just a wee kid back then but I certainly remember that mongeral Ablett doing what he did best, that is running through players and not getting rubbed out for it. GO SAINTERS. REVENGE......

saints66
Winmar
Club Player

I cried after the game in 1991. Didn't cry this afternoon, because it wasn't as much of a shock!

If not for Ablett's elbow we probably would have won that final. Russell Morris grubbing a kick to Lazar when we were dominating didn't help either! It got Geelong back into the game.

felixleo
Club Player

Magnificent game worst result, Stoneham was a brick wall across halfback, was that a final six that year? I think it was and it killed us being an elimination final.

Are you gonna be the one?
Winmar
Club Player

Yeah it was either a final five or final six - six I think. I can't remember which years the changes came in. What I do remember was that they changed the system after 1991, because it was so unfair for us to have gone straight out after such a magnficent year.

Plugger hit the post when we were on a bit of a roll. If he'd kicked that things could have been a bit different.