Good coaching

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

Good coaching

Thought Thompson coached very well yesterday. Roo up onto the wing and BJ forward was a good move from Lyon but was countered very quickly, Thompson through more talls forward and stretched our defence which forced BJ to go back again and Roo to return forward as a result.

Would have liked to see Lyon throw Kosi back and leave BJ forward for a bit longer. I think BJ Fwd is a waste personally but he had kicked an early goal and we know he can read it in flight and kicks it well. Plus we were being smashed so there was no need to let Thompson dictate terms, no percentage to protect.

Maybe this year?
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

IMO BJ should be a permanent forward, just we dont have the cattle down back to cover him unfortunately

Before Im 85
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I think it's overrated as to who the personnel up forward actually is.

Infact, that's our biggest problem right now - or one of them. We insist on plonking talented players up forward and simply kicking the ball in their general vicinity.

It doesn't work, unless you get freak games out of these individuals. Fortunately for us, over the past 2 months we have.

Unfortunately for us, against top 4 sides it won't happen that easily.

We need some system getting it in there, and some system once it is in there.

We don't really have either.

We need a forward line functioning as a team. Not just putting our best players in there and hoping their individual brilliance will win the ball.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:I think it's overrated as to who the personnel up forward actually is.

Infact, that's our biggest problem right now - or one of them. We insist on plonking talented players up forward and simply kicking the ball in their general vicinity.

It doesn't work, unless you get freak games out of these individuals. Fortunately for us, over the past 2 months we have.

Unfortunately for us, against top 4 sides it won't happen that easily.

We need some system getting it in there, and some system once it is in there.

We don't really have either.

We need a forward line functioning as a team. Not just putting our best players in there and hoping their individual brilliance will win the ball.
With respect Rodge, we are currently a one-trick pony with Roo as our main target. Milne and Schneider do ok.

We need an option B and Option C, which we don't have.

Get the right players in there first and then fine tune it.

Gwilt, CG and Eddy aren't developed as yet.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Yesterday emphasised just how desperately we need to develop alternative and quality options to Riewoldt.

We've got to bid on Tim Boyle IMO - and try and fine one either late in the draft or at the rookie table.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:IMO BJ should be a permanent forward, just we dont have the cattle down back to cover him unfortunately
I agree but think we lack more up foward to give him a go there than down back.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
With respect Rodge, we are currently a one-trick pony with Roo as our main target. Milne and Schneider do ok.

We need an option B and Option C, which we don't have.

Get the right players in there first and then fine tune it.

Gwilt, CG and Eddy aren't developed as yet.
Geez, we need one fast! The lack of a second lead up forward has killed us against Collingwood twice this season...surely we need to keep Gardiner up there, even if he's only a decoy for Roo? I reckon BJ does a fair job popping up forward, but not sure how effective he'd be if you left him there all game, as he has never done this in his career. Besides, he's too good down back.

Gwilt may be a forward in the distant future...but just bumped into Roo when he was there on Sunday, needs more time up forward to learn the game.

If I was RL I'd be tempted to chuck Birss back in to push forward...at least he'll restrict a player like Swann or Shaw. But only if there was a leading forward present.

It's a tricky one!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I think it's overrated as to who the personnel up forward actually is.
disagree. there's a reason that teams often play their most talented players forward. goals win games.

Red
Club Player

The problem yesterday wasn't the forwards. It was the midfield getting

absolutely smashed. Whenever the boys got the ball they were under

pressure and as such there skills were down when going into the forward

line. People on this site don't believe pace is a problem whereas I think it

is a huge reason for yesterday. We couldn't get enough people to the contest

often enough which is why the cats smashed us in that area. It was just so

simple every time there was a contest we were outnumbered.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:The problem yesterday wasn't the forwards. It was the midfield getting absolutely smashed.
truth is we were pantsed everywhere, including the forward line.

unless we can reproduce the sort of form we showed against adelaide and essendon (our best performances in a couple of seasons imo) saturday night will be robert harvey's last game.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
disagree. there's a reason that teams often play their most talented players forward. goals win games.

The most talented players play in the middle.

You need a freak footballer to simply be sent forward and kick enough goals to get you into the finals and then win finals.

When clubs find a very good footballer up forward, the first thing they try to do is get them fit enough to play midfield.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:The most talented players play in the middle.
franklin? riewoldt? ablett senior? lockett? carey?

i've always thought your best players should play either on the ball or up forward.

simplistic, i know, but the team that kicks the most goals wins the game.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We changed so many coaches over the years the message should be clear - the coach has little to do with it.
our players have consistently fallen short because of other reasons - injuries, lack of skills, lack of toughness, lack of consistency.

We need another 2 tough, reliable quality midfielders.

Another couple of agile mid size goal kickers.

Until then no coach will save us.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

agree... players make the coaches in MOST cases...our recruiting of young players in the last five years has been nothing short of deplorable.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

i've always thought your best players should play either on the ball or up forward.

The key there though BigCarl, is that all bar the freak Franklin played nearly a decade ago. The other one, Roo is a perfect example of why you don't waste a gun player deep in the forward line.

When you could rely on one forward to win games - and even flags.

It doesn't work that way anymore.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

The key there though BigCarl, is that all bar the freak Franklin played nearly a decade ago.

true, though i think there's no doubt all would be used in the forward line if they were playing today.

converting opportunities into cold, hard goals-on-the-board should never be underestimated, imo, and that is where gehrig was fantastic for us going back a few seasons.

i think that our problems go deeper, though. we're too focused on what our opponents are doing and not enough on getting the pill and getting a score on the board. granted, that is easier said than done against geelong.