Milne !!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPM
Club Player

Milne !!!

Proved again why he is the best small forward in the game. Grabbed it by the throat kicking 3 straight, 59 goals for the year. The pretenders in Medhurst, Davis and Thomas kicked one between them.

Sign Sealed for Life
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Finally!

Great to see him play an integral part tonight, particularly in a cut throat finals match.

Big test for him next week. Hopefully he will relish the occaision.

Jaz
Club Player

Yep another 50+ goals / year, and he still gets criticised for not playing well when we play big games or away from TD. Does he prove these 2 points wrong yet?

Honestly I love it when he plays on and tries things even it he stuffs up and looks like a goose, better than the last 2 years under GT when he was too scared to make a mistake and instead played safe.

CARN the saints!!!

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

even though the Collingwood supporter behind me kept referring to him as a "tiprat" .
Congrats Milne for playing a good game especially in the second quarter that got us going.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

But didn't Lyon end his and Dals career by dropping them against Freo???

Where is brown stain and Iwetmyseats when we win?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
felixleo
Club Player

Tim Lane called him our barometer tonight which i thought was a backhanded compliment.

Are you gonna be the one?
Schillaci
Club Player

Congrats Milney on another great game. Electrified us all in the 2nd Quarter when the game was in the balance...great season with 59 goals...proven many wrong indeed

Sainterone
Club Player

From the Herald-Sun

OPPOSITION fans love to hate Stephen Milne.

Hell, even his own mob struggle with the shifty goalsneak at times.

But there's no doubt you don't want to give him a sniff near the big sticks.

And that's what Collingwood gave him in a 10-minute patch either side of half-time last night.

That Milne capitalised with three match-turning goals may prove the finest moment in his up-and-down AFL career.

The game had been in the balance until the time-on period of the second term, first one side then the other taking turns to grab the lead.

Fourteen minutes in the scores were level before a 55m bomb from James Gwilt snatched the lead for the Saints.

At that stage Milne hadn't troubled the scorers and his opponent, Harry O'Brien, was doing fine.

But it doesn't take much for a game of football to turn.

As time-on ticked over, the Pies were relaunching from deep in the last line of defence when suddenly they had a problem. A tardy handpass put Rhyce Shaw under the gun and needing help -- quickly.

But before the cavalry could arrive Adam Schneider's vice-like tackle burst the ball out of Shaw's arms 15m out from St Kilda's goal.

It was the sort of situation for which Milne was born.

Like a hungry dog jumping for raw meat, he snatched the football and snapped his first goal.

The Saint was still licking his lips when, at the other end, the normally dead-eye kick John Anthony surprisingly missed his third shot for the quarter.

The rebound soon after was hurtful for the Pies.

Brendon Goddard's long kick landed in the hot spot, Nick Riewoldt crunched the pack and the ball spilled front and square.

Milne was exactly where he was supposed to be - and his second goal and a three-goal Saint lead was a formality from the moment he collected the ball cleanly.

The Saints carried that lead to half-time, but the long break proved an intermission in the Milne show.

Saints fans sighed when Schneider waltzed in and missed a sitter after two minutes of the third term.

But they were all smiles when Milne nailed his third 40 seconds later. It came after a bizarre lead-up that summed up the teams' fortunes.

A Leigh Montagna kick from inside the centre square was half-smothered and ricocheted to, you guessed it, Milne.

With no one in front of him, he slotted another major. That made the score 9.2 to 4.11, a break that proved too much for the Pies.

St Kilda's media mafia wouldn't let Milne talk after the game, but Schneider was happy to sing his praises.

"Blokes like Milney can win you a game in five minutes," Schneider said. "He was fantastic, and not just because he kicked those goals -- it was his work rate and his pressure as well . . . you give him three or four touches in five minutes and he's kicked three, and there's the game for you."

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yep, gave him a vote.

bethb7
Club Player

Very Very good last night.
He is so exciting when he gets the ball :)

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
Owen
Club Player

His first goal was magic .. amazing reflexes to snap it through and a massive crucial goal to break the goal-for-goal deadlock..

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milne !!!

SaintPM wrote:Proved again why he is the best small forward in the game. Grabbed it by the throat kicking 3 straight, 59 goals for the year. The pretenders in Medhurst, Davis and Thomas kicked one between them.
agree. broke the game open with a couple within five minutes in the second quarter.

should be the small forward in the all-australian team without a doubt.

can't play in finals :roll:

Sainterone
Club Player

It was goal for goal and very exciting in Q2
Along comes Milne and kicks two in a flash.
We took a stranglehold on the game,
colliwobbles dropped their heads..

GAME OVER. :D

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

schneider on milne's game

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

"Blokes like Milney can win you a game in five minutes," Schneider said.

"He was fantastic, and not just because he kicked those goals -- it was his work rate and his pressure as well . . . you give him three or four touches in five minutes and he's kicked three, and there's the game for you."

milney044
Club Player

Until Milne kicks 4 goals in a Grand Final it still wont be enough for some though. As for me, i think he is terrific and currently averages over 2 goals a game, which is really quite remarkable. I can't believe he wasn't even spoken about in terms of possible AA selection.
But, i don't think Milney will ever get the credit he deserves. Even before this year it was "Milne can't play well away from the dome", he kicks 5 at the G so its "Milne can't play well interstate". He kicks 4 at Carrarra so it's "Milne doesn't play well in finals". He kicks 3 crunch goals in a semi and now its "the big test for Milne is this week in the prelim, is he up to it?". Honestly whatever obstacles he overcomes is never enough for some. :roll:

From my point of view, Milney's kept improving across his entire career, one of many more highs than lows. Sometimes people forget that he is just one player, and a small forward at that. Kudos to Brendon Goddard and his article which really shows what those of importance views are.

Keep up the stellar year Milney 59* goals to date.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.